Click Here!

Need some Advice

CloverReef

Okay, so here's my problem. I have a tendency to start a lot of fics, and only rarely complete them. So lately I've begun waiting until at least five chapters are written and if I still write passionately to the story, I begin to post it. It's irritating to most of my friends, and I'm sure its irritating to readers when stories get dropped, and rightly so.

My current issue is that I'm stumped with the fic I've been working on for the past six months. There's seven and a half chapters written, but I've been stuck on one scene for the past month. I'm not at a loss for ideas. I have plenty of ideas and aspirations for where I want it to go. I just can't seem to word it right. So I'll write a few paragraphs and then think they're terrible, and delete them.

After being stumped so long, I really have an urge to just write something, so I've been getting ideas for other fics. But I'm afraid that if I touch another fiction, the current one will suffer. People really seem to like it, and I really enjoy it - when I'm not stumped - so I don't want to drop it.

Gaaaah! It's driving me insane! If you have any advice for what I should do or how I should deal with this, or even your own relative experiences I would be much obliged!

~Clover~

Well for me, I stick to one story to finish it to the end before starting another because I dont want one to suffer either. Hence why I only have one published on here but I have several new plot ideas just waiting to get down on paper. I get how it's easy to get stuck on one scene, I can get that way for days before I get it thee way i want it.

If you have one published already but not done, you should stick to that story only so you can put all your talent and effort into it. The readers notice when an author really spends time on it or just half a**es a chapter. Juggling more then one or two stories is putting alot of pressure on yourself which can easily be avoided. I think that sticking to one is your best option until its finished or developed enough to where you think you can juggle another.

If you get ideas for other fics, try writing a summary down about it and just leave it at that so you can go back to it later and focus on it. That way you remember your idea later and can start developing the plot. I do this myself, three new summaries just waiting to be made into stories but i refuse to touch them until i finish what I started. I treat it like my baby, lol.

Hope this helps you a bit. Ill keep an eye our for any stories you post. :lol:

-- Karatefirl422 --

I have the same problem! I found the best fix for getting stuck was a co-writer, even if it's a friend who writes a couple pages you have no intentions on keeping, it kick starts things.

Another solution, glass of wine, or other drink of choice, to loosen up. It gets you past the over thinking stage.

And my last idea, just remove the scene. If your that stuck on it, maybe it's time to edit it out and think up something you're more excited about writing.

I have the same problem! I found the best fix for getting stuck was a co-writer, even if it's a friend who writes a couple pages you have no intentions on keeping, it kick starts things.

Another solution, glass of wine, or other drink of choice, to loosen up. It gets you past the over thinking stage.

And my last idea, just remove the scene. If your that stuck on it, maybe it's time to edit it out and think up something you're more excited about writing.

LOL Wine. Man, I wish I had some alcohol handy. Thanks for the advice. I think you're right, my biggest problem is over-thinking every word I put down. I don't think I have any friends up for writing to it, but I may just bite the bullet and blindly write through the scene and try not to look back as I go. If it doesn't turn out, I'll do as you suggested and try a different scene.

Thanks!

I agree that sticking to one story is better than having several brain children that don't make it to maturity. Still, sometimes you could use a bit of a distraction when you are stuck on a certain aspect of your current project . ;) I myself have only two fics posted because I like to put as much effort and thought in as I can. When you get used to your mind being scattered around it becomes hard to reign your thoughts back in. One of my fics is my brain child, the one I focus all of my energy into. The other is what I call my fun fic. ;) It is written pretty much for my own amusement, and although the plot is solid, it was a plot that was provided by the fandom. It doesn't take much thought to come up with ideas because it is basically about writing down whatever fun, zany idea I happen to think of. Even still, you can find yourself going back to your story and frustrated with the lack of flow. :blink: Try reading, when this happens. Whether it be other fics, a favorite novel, or even a new read, it helps to distract you while keeping your inner-author whirring. :think: I recommend a favorite novel, myself. Something about reuniting with familiar characters that you know and love inspires you to create characters like this, yourself.

I think writing down summaries for your ideas is a very good idea for future fics, instead of just starting them. This way you have something at least to jog your mind. :poke: An outline would be even better, to try and get as many thoughts down as possible. Your own idea of pushing through is also a good way to get through horrid writer's block. :fear: You may be what's holding you back. You said yourself you write some paragraphs, read them and then delete them. Try to push through the scene, then go back and see if you can fix little things here and there to improve it. Those little things will add up, until the finished work is nothing like what you started out with. :jaw: Wine is also a great idea. ;) Try to unwind, listen to soft, soothing music while you write. :D Good luck, I hope that it goes well! :2tubs:

I agree that sticking to one story is better than having several brain children that don't make it to maturity. Still, sometimes you could use a bit of a distraction when you are stuck on a certain aspect of your current project . ;) I myself have only two fics posted because I like to put as much effort and thought in as I can. When you get used to your mind being scattered around it becomes hard to reign your thoughts back in. One of my fics is my brain child, the one I focus all of my energy into. The other is what I call my fun fic. ;) It is written pretty much for my own amusement, and although the plot is solid, it was a plot that was provided by the fandom. It doesn't take much thought to come up with ideas because it is basically about writing down whatever fun, zany idea I happen to think of. Even still, you can find yourself going back to your story and frustrated with the lack of flow. :blink: Try reading, when this happens. Whether it be other fics, a favorite novel, or even a new read, it helps to distract you while keeping your inner-author whirring. :think: I recommend a favorite novel, myself. Something about reuniting with familiar characters that you know and love inspires you to create characters like this, yourself.

I think writing down summaries for your ideas is a very good idea for future fics, instead of just starting them. This way you have something at least to jog your mind. :poke: An outline would be even better, to try and get as many thoughts down as possible. Your own idea of pushing through is also a good way to get through horrid writer's block. :fear: You may be what's holding you back. You said yourself you write some paragraphs, read them and then delete them. Try to push through the scene, then go back and see if you can fix little things here and there to improve it. Those little things will add up, until the finished work is nothing like what you started out with. :jaw: Wine is also a great idea. ;) Try to unwind, listen to soft, soothing music while you write. :D Good luck, I hope that it goes well! :2tubs:

That's a great idea! I just bought a few mangas a couple weeks ago that I haven't gotten around to reading. Maybe that'll help. Thanks, you gave a lot of great advice.

I don't know if it will help but one thing I've found I do a lot is if I'm stumped on a chapter but got ideas for a part later in the fic, or even just later in the same chapter I write it down. NEVER delete! If you don't feel happy with it copy and paste it to a spare document and save it. You may end up coming back to it in a few hours and think, ah! That's what's missing. Another thing I find if I'm stuck on a particular scene is just jotting down ideas, or parts of sentences, or even just describing the room they may be in. It may never get used and it may have no relevance to the scene but it'll keep the creative brain juices a-flowing so that when you finish and go back to the scene you may find it easier. I dunno if that helps or not. Sorry if not. I sincerely wish you all the best with your fic though :)

B xxx

I don't know if it will help but one thing I've found I do a lot is if I'm stumped on a chapter but got ideas for a part later in the fic, or even just later in the same chapter I write it down. NEVER delete! If you don't feel happy with it copy and paste it to a spare document and save it. You may end up coming back to it in a few hours and think, ah! That's what's missing. Another thing I find if I'm stuck on a particular scene is just jotting down ideas, or parts of sentences, or even just describing the room they may be in. It may never get used and it may have no relevance to the scene but it'll keep the creative brain juices a-flowing so that when you finish and go back to the scene you may find it easier. I dunno if that helps or not. Sorry if not. I sincerely wish you all the best with your fic though :)

B xxx

Thanks ^^ I got through that particular chapter last night with a little help from a glass of iced tea spiked with rum. But I can guarantee I'll get stumped again. This fic is a toughie, lol.

That's great that you finished the chapter! Even if it is a toughie, I'm sure it will turn out great as you get rolling. Also ice tea and rum sounds good, I might have to try that myself. :)

Good luck with the story!

-- Karategirl422 --

Thanks ^^ I got through that particular chapter last night with a little help from a glass of iced tea spiked with rum. But I can guarantee I'll get stumped again. This fic is a toughie, lol.

Aw that's great you got it done! I always get worried about leaving a message on here coz im shy but I hope if you do get stuck again that it helps.

Aw that's great you got it done! I always get worried about leaving a message on here coz im shy but I hope if you do get stuck again that it helps.

I'm glad you decided to leave a message then. It's sure to help me a bunch in the future.

Thanks everyone!

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same problem. I'll start a story, then halfway through get another idea for a separate story and start writing on it in a frenzy, then leave the other to collect dust for a few months before I pick it up again, wondering, "Why didn't I finish this?" I'm sure my readers are pretty frustrated with me, too.

I only recently joined AFF, but I'm a longtime member of both Fanfic and Fictionpress. The thing I've found that helps the most is simply this---finish a story before you post. Then when I do begin posting it I'll post a chapter once a week, say every Sunday. That way it gets plenty of coverage and readers aren't left hanging while life inevitably gets in the way. And I know that it isn't really your responsibility to anyone to finish a story-sometimes you just can't. But still. I feel guilty when I leave people hanging lol.

Hope I helped, good luck!