Click Here!

Reviews?

Guest Septra

Zoinks! For a while I could not post reviews if I wanted to. The pages took so damn long to open I just gave up, for the tooth-grinding thing was happening. (Note to self: Will have to go to sports store and get a mouth guard.)

How long? Since November now? It was supposed to be ready by March? Well, May DOES start with "M", but its JUNE ALREADY!

btw I noticed that I couldn't review on ffnet either lately. Some of my fav authors are there. PRobably think I'm a snob or something.

I've been hanging out at Yahoo Answers, although the people there are kind of creepy. I prefer the crowd here. I feel as if I'm with a bunch of friends in my basement passing around a roach and making snide remarks that everyone laughs at.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Agaib

I actually calculated it out and I think I get somthing around 0.34% of the hits result in reviews. That is a REALLY small number. And I dont mean 34%, I mean 0.34%...

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

I was hardly getting reviews on Aff in the first place. Now I'm getting nil. I think my last review was shortly before the AFF Overhaul. It sucks cause a lot of my stories have HUNDREDS of hits (some breaking 1,000) but none of the storie have more then 10 reviews except for a list I did. That's it.

Guest Agaib

ja... it sucks man. We should try to spread the word about AFF. Run around in circles within communities made for adults and encourage people to contribute. I think AFF is a wonderful wonderful site, someone should spread the world.

Guest Corvis
Corvis - Don't feel like a stalker - the LOTR section *needs* more reviewers! And while I'm here - thanks for the ones you left me! smile.gif

Hah, now I'm stalking you here, lol.

Something funny that totally goes against the trend here. Since the site started making progress, I posted a story of mine again. It was just a little LotR one-shot thing, but I got 7 reviews in a month, as opposed to the 3 I got when the story had been posted for months. Go figure. And they were meaningful reviews. It was the highlight of my AFF career, lol.

I can sort of understand being hesitant to review if you're new to the site, when I first started reading here, I left reviews under a ton of different names. But I guess now you all know I'm that crazy chick who loves gay elves, I just don't care anymore. I also haunt the originals section, and now if I see a name from someone here on the forums, I try to leave better reviews than I normally would.

I was rambling. Sorry.

I go back to check up on story's progress, to see if next chap is up, so multiple hits by one person who already left a review and is anxious for ch4 could be skewing your percentages there. But once the site gets going, I'm hopeful for many more hits, although I am concerned about the way they organized each section. I wish I could see all the sections at once, like we used to. As for reviews, I tend to post really late at night, so no one notices mine. I think if you're on the east coast you have a better chance of catching everyone awake

Guest Agaib

You forgot StoryJunkie. A lot of people read erotic stories by the dim glare of thier computer screen late at night when whomever the might be living with wont notice.

err...

Not that I'm drescribing myself of course....

BTW, thanks lots for that review on The House, much apreciated.

I'm not good at math at all, but from all the stories on the active site (so not counting the stories still waiting to be transferred) I have a grand total of 5,984 hits and 17 reviews. So if I calculate correctly (which I probably don't) I have a hit-to-review ratio of roughly 0.28%.

God, that's depressing.

Guest Chaotic Angel

Review wise i don't do so well here, for example I write a pretty wide selection of stuff Harry Potter is my current fav so I have a WIP out right now so far it's 7 chapters and I have 43 reviews and 1364 hits and a 4 star rating, the story has been up for about 5 months (I know I'm slow)

I have the same story on The Silver Snitch, FF.net and Forever Fandom my review count on those sites go like this:

The Snitch- 112 reviews

FF.net- 13 reviews

Forever Fandom- 74 reviews

I've also noticed that I'm more likely to get flamed here then anywhere else. I get more flames here then on any other site I post on. and that's for everything I write. It drives me nuts, I'm not even talking constructive flames I'm talking and I quote 'You suck, Stop writing' I'm considering not posting on Aff anymore, I love the forum but I'm starting to hate the archive.

Please tell if I'm the only one that feels like this, AFF was my favorite site in the universe for reading and writing and It's just turned to crap.

Okay this is really about to turn into a rant about the site in general. I just can't take it anymore, I can't find any of the stories that I was reading, It's just all so fucked up and it doesn't look like it's getting any better, The parts of the site that are up are so messed up and even that seems like It's down every other day. When's the last time we got a message from any of the owners telling us what's going on with everything.

I know it may seem like I'm overreacting but I spend a lot of time on the computer and I justn miss the days when I'd have one window on the archive and one on the forum, and that's how I'd spend my time.

Does anyone agree with me or am I just alone in this?

Guest Aegrisomnia

I think that it also depends on what fandom you write for. I've noticed that a lot more people read Anime fanfiction than they do Cartoon fanfiction (which is what I write for). Basically, my four chapter story has been up since the 2nd of June and it only has 29 hits. I'm not complaining because I don't write for anyone but myself. I live by the saying "Try to please everyone and end up pleasing no one."

Lack of reviews don't really bother me because I know that the Cartoon section (especially He-man) is one of the minorities here. Even back before they rebooted AFF it only had about seven fics, minus mine. This is one instance where I prefer FF.net because the sections are larger, there are more stories, and thus a better chance of receiving reviews. On FF. net I have 2683 hits and 49 reviews. For 18 chapters, this isn't bad in my opinion.

I know that if I was to post something Harry Potter related, or Full Metal Alchemist I would get a ton of reviews, especially if it was really decent, but I don't expect much. Just from reading the reviews that some of the other authors get, a majority of their readers are probably just horny little boys masturbating under their desk. If my reviews are going to be something like, "You suck." or "Write more sex." then I'll delete them, because I don't need that type of feedback, if you can call it that.

Now, I myself make it a rule in general not to review unless I was exceptionally impressed with the story. There are a couple reviews that I owe people, but that';s about it. If it's someone that I know personally, then yeah, of course I'll review.

Guest Agaib

Maybe I'm wierd but when I looked at your author page I saw 25 reviews. And none of them were flames. Do you have a different account you use for writing? Even so, I would apreciate it if you didnt twist the facts to make your rant more meaningful.

Guest Tuxedo Elf
Hah, now I'm stalking you here, lol.

LOL! *Vague-ish unsucessful attempt to look scared* wink.gif

That's great - what was the fic? I'd love to read!

You also get more reviews depending on what pairing you write. For example, in LOTR right now, Erestor/Glorfindel is THE pairing. Personally I'm not a big fan of them... will read and write it, but it's far from my favourite. But despite my whinging I write what I love, reviews or no! And my OTP is Glorfindel/Ecthelion so erestor doesn't stand a chance! tongue.gif

Now I'm rambling. LOL.

Guest Aegrisomnia
Maybe I'm wierd but when I looked at your author page I saw 25 reviews. And none of them were flames. Do you have a different account you use for writing? Even so, I would apreciate it if you didnt twist the facts to make your rant more meaningful.

I'm sorry, were you addressing me?

Guest Agaib

no no. Many apologies. I was adressing Chaotic Angel I should have mentioned that.

EDIT: This was adressed to Aegrissomnia

Edited by Agaib

Guest Helluin

Hm.

Multi-chapter story with some NC-17 chapters:

Other archive (not FF.net) : 710 hits, 64 reviews (many of 'em detailed), every chapter rated.

AFF: 130 hits, 0 reviews.

Random smutfic one-shot:

Other archive: 52 hits, 5 reviews, lots of ratings.

AFF: 130 hits, 1 review, no ratings.

Another random smutfic one-shot:

Other archive: 76 hits, 2 reviews, maxed out ratings.

AFF: 143 hits, 0 reviews, no ratings.

Multi-chapter smutfic:

Other archive: 300 hits, 10 reviews, lots of ratings.

AFF: 577 hits, 0 reviews, no ratings.

No idea what the percentage of those would be, but... well. There's my data. Admittedly I've been R/Ring very few pieces here myself during the hiatus, but I have been reviewing.

Guest Melody Fate

I have had fantastic luck with my one story, so I can't complain at all. I have tried it on another archive, and only got one review.

I do admit that since the site has been back up, I've noticed the hits and reviews are not nearly what they used to be, but I also have been posting the story to a "friends only" LJ and I got a fair number of my regular readers reading it over there, so I really can't judge.

Unfortunately for us and AFF, this move did hurt. It seemed to be unavoidable, but it still hurt. However, that doesn't mean that it will stay hurting. As word gets out that the site is up and running again, people will start coming back.

Guest Serenanna

I post on AFF.net, Mediaminer, and another site, most of which was put up during the overhaul, and ironically, I get the most hits and reviews here, still. It may not be flooded like ff.net, but most of the reviews I've gotten are intelligent, positive, and literate. wink.gif

Sere

Guest Agaib

You know in my story as of now I have about 130 reviews. Now of course I have a few reviews like "OMG I WUBB UR STORY, PLZ PLZ PLZ RITE MOR!"

But not as many as one might expect. While not too many of my reviews are long and detailed peices of work that analize my writing they are (for the most part) coherent. And I can most certainly apreciate that.

I've transfered my fics over to new archives so that people who want to read and review can do so, but I haven't gotten much of anything, except for maybe two reviews for my Star Trek Voyager fic(thanks StoryJunkie!), one other from an anonymous reviewer. To whoever it was, don't be afraid to leave your name. I don't bite. smile.gif

Guest Corvis
LOL! *Vague-ish unsucessful attempt to look scared* wink.gif

That's great - what was the fic? I'd love to read!

You also get more reviews depending on what pairing you write. For example, in LOTR right now, Erestor/Glorfindel is THE pairing. Personally I'm not a big fan of them... will read and write it, but it's far from my favourite. But despite my whinging I write what I love, reviews or no! And my OTP is Glorfindel/Ecthelion so erestor doesn't stand a chance! tongue.gif

Now I'm rambling. LOL.

That's true also, I hadn't thought of that. The pairing on mine is Haldir/Eomer. Not a common one at all. I may continue it now, the reviews people left for me inspired me. I was happy with it before, but I dunno, I may go further with it.

[edit] Haha, oh yeah, the name of the fic is "What Gain Was Theirs".

• 2 months later...
Guest achtungnight

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in getting lots of reads and few reviews. But that's okay- it makes the few reviews I do get far more meaningful. smile.gif

Check out my stories in the Celebrities, X-Men, and TV Show (Law&Order) sections.

Guest lightgoddess

I don't have any problems getting reviews for my stories. *shrugs* I updated my disclaimer on about 6 stories and (inadvertantly I might add) got almost 35 reviews on them. laugh.gif Maybe Harry Potter slash fans are just not afraid of their keyboards. lol