Click Here!

Reviews?

Guest Septra

Guest Septra

As grateful as I am to get some reviews, it's much fewer than it was. So many great fics are being read and then not reviewed. I have been able to read much less review for a bit of time now... What is wrong with that picture?

Anyway, it's just something I wanted to make note of.

blink.gif

Mainly, I just wanted to see who else has a fic that gets hundred of readers and few reviews...

I'm not trying to start a war so lets not make one. I'm off to see if anyone has checked out the rest of the aff treasure fields.

Septra.

unsure.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know the feeling. Unfortunately.

Let's see if I can scrounge up the worst offenders:

337 Hits; 0 Reviews; 5-star rating.

1178 Hits; 1 Review; 5-star rating.

880 Hits; 1 Review; 5-star rating.

But the absolute winner would have to be:

1655 Hits; 0 Reviews; 5-star rating.

Oh, and then there are the numerous "less than 1% hits-to-reviews ratios", but I'm not counting those right now.

Still, I will soldier on, silence or no. Because I love writing. Granted, reviews tend to make the soldiering on a bit... smoother, but still.

Guest Big Samurai

I rather like to review. (I owe at least one to Wotan and Ninja Gaijin, and I've got a few on the brain for Helluin, too.) I'm reluctant to do that while the site is still in transition, though. When all's said, done, and not vulnerable to data loss, I'd certainly like to throw some review lovin' at those who, IMO, deserve it. The video games section has a dearth of involved readers, for the most part.

Guest Septra

I'm back.

I'm also glad people have noticed the issue of reviews missing... But I was reading for a few fanfics...

Here's a few I've noticed. Their good authors and one works really hard on her fic, yet it also gets ignored. I'm asking if anybody would give it a chance...

Especially the nara fans from IY:

The fanfic is called Heart of a Thief... by Tilimiel.

And if your wondering why you never see the name Septra out in the review boxes... It's because I commonly only use this name in the forum. I reveiw under my pennames. Yes, I do have more than one. Let's see if you can figure that one out.

cool.gif , I hope to hear more from people and it's a shame when a good author is ignored. I can name a few. I'm off to read and review a few more.

See ya.

biggrin.gifph34r.gif

Guest Corvis

I just can't read a fic and not review. Sometimes I really feel like a stalker, cause I'll read a ton of fics by the same author in one day, and really review them all. I just feel like they put the effort out to post their stuff, I can take the two minutes to leave a few sentences.

Just me though. I know in the LotR section there aren't a lot of reviewers, and I really feel like a stalker there, lol.

Guest Zimarah

Let's see...

1296 hits, 7 reviews. Not bad considering... I guess.

Of course, on a much smaller fic community (grand total of 72 members) I've also got 7 reviews on a different fic, and it's been up less than a month...

Guest Evil_Labs

I've gotten 2 reviews on my original story, which is 4 chapters and quite large. Maybe it's too much for a person to leave a review of, I don't really know.

Let's see...

1296 hits, 7 reviews. Not bad considering... I guess.

Of course, on a much smaller fic community (grand total of 72 members) I've also got 7 reviews on a different fic, and it's been up less than a month...

Well, given the current state of aff, I'm not surprised. I have just experienced multiple failures in leaving a review to a new Dynasty Warriors fic. After 3 or 4 tries, I give up.

OH YEAH! I crave reviews yet I cannot even get something such as a simple "YOU SUCK!" or "You're okay." Here's my stories from both the old site and the new site...

CLOSER THAN FRIENDS (.Hack Fiction): 1919 (Old) with 9 reviews (5 which are unique) with 4.5 Rating (had 5 for al ong time, then is 4 there fore 4.5) 383 (CHAPTER FOUR SOON!) but 0 reviews. TOTAL: 2302 with 5 unique reviews.

Remnants of Earth (DBZ alt. Uni Fiction): 141 (Old) with 0 reviews): 136 with 1 review TOTAL: 277 with 1 review. 0 Star Rank

Hidden Emotions (DBZ Fiction, somewhat alt): 464 with 2 reviews (2 unique) 5 Star Rank

DEMONS (Kingdom Hearts my current fav): 282 with 0 reviews. 5 Star Rank

Luckily I CAN edit on the Games section for Demons which makes me so happy. So I can submit Chapter 4 and hopefully five with next week.

Guest Tuxedo Elf

I don't get a whole lot of reviews either... generally I settle for one or two and a good rating! I think a lot of people don't bother to review. It's a shame really.

Corvis - Don't feel like a stalker - the LOTR section *needs* more reviewers! And while I'm here - thanks for the ones you left me! smile.gif

Guest ChibiShiva

And here comes the ramble...

I used to get reviews back when I was writing for Tekken. Of course it was all over ff.net and now that I don't post on it anymore, well I don't get anything.... or way less then it used to be. As an example, over about a year, I've written a 27-chapter fanfic, where I have over 80 reviews. Then I stopped writing to it, and I got into original fiction. My current project is 20 chapters long, been going on since last October and I have 11 reviews for it in total. 11. I'm happy for what I got so far, but 11 reviews for a 20-chapter story in 6 months, in a category where others get reviews but not me... kinda makes me feel bad.

I actually just had a big outburst about me not getting reviews with my beta and it's not my first. I'm seriously tired of not getting any feedback. Even just a "good job" or "I hate it" gets me going for months. It gets better when people actually state the reasons; I'll take an honest review like it should be taken. I can take criticism and tips.

I just don't get any.

And it's worse than getting "I hate this". I feel like no one even wants to read my stuff.

I've asked friends to read, but none even leave feedback. I have to ask them if they read it in order to be told "yes" or "no". They never talk about this. However, if they tell me that they don't like the things I'm writing, I won't force them (keep in mind I wrote yaoi/slash - one of my friend tried reading my fic and didn't like it because it was slash, I can totally understand that). I just wish either they'd tell me if they like it or not.

It gets me to the point where I wonder why I'm writing. I've been doing this for a long time and I love it, yet no even bothers to read, and when they do, they don't say anything. So everytime I read something and I like it, I review. Because I know it makes other feel good to know that people read and like their fics. (Yes, I don't leave much reviews, because I haven't read in a long while >_<... need to get back to it)

My point is I'm dying for reviews. I hate begging for them (I feel like a fangirl O_o "HEY REVIEW ME!!11!!111oneone") yet I want them so bad that I don't know what to do.

Guest yamsham
I used to get reviews back when I was writing for Tekken. Of course it was all over ff.net and now that I don't post on it anymore, well I don't get anything.... or way less then it used to be. As an example, over about a year, I've written a 27-chapter fanfic, where I have over 80 reviews. Then I stopped writing to it, and I got into original fiction. My current project is 20 chapters long, been going on since last October and I have 11 reviews for it in total. 11. I'm happy for what I got so far, but 11 reviews for a 20-chapter story in 6 months, in a category where others get reviews but not me... kinda makes me feel bad.

I'm not surprised that you get more reviews for fanfiction than original stuff. There's a built-in audience with fanfiction. They know the characters and the world without even reading a word of your fanfic. Even if you write an AU and change everything, as long as the characters' names are the same, readers are still in a comfort zone of familiarity.

They don't have that safety net with your original stuff. They are entering an unfamiliar world where they don't know the characters or the rules, and most of them probably won't even enter. What drew those reviewers to your Tekken fanfic was first and foremost Tekken. That you happened to write it well was a bonus. But they're still just Tekken fans and it doesn't mean it's going to carry over to everything you write.

But I understand how you feel. If you leave a link, I'll review your original story.

Guest ChibiShiva
I'm not surprised that you get more reviews for fanfiction than original stuff. There's a built-in audience with fanfiction. They know the characters and the world without even reading a word of your fanfic. Even if you write an AU and change everything, as long as the characters' names are the same, readers are still in a comfort zone of familiarity.

That I undertsand too. I know not everyone's going to read original stories and that it's indeed easier to read (and write) fanfiction. However, I spend a lot of time writing to my stories (I've been planning this one for a good 4-5 years) and I'd somewhat expect more reviews.

But I understand how you feel. If you leave a link, I'll review your original story.

Well, you don't have to just because I'm currently rambling ^^;; (or should I take advantage... hehehe). It's true that I want them, but I don't want to push people to it either. I try to pimp it a bit though happy.gif (usually it doesn't work anyways).

But in case you want to read it, here's a link: Take Me Away. Intro up to chapter 16 are up, and I can't put up more until the slash databased is moved back.

Well, it's a fact of life. A person is far less likely to review if they liked a story than if they hated it.

So no news can be good news. It's like this; only those who really loved a fic or really hated it will actually review. The vast majority won't.

I've got some things like that:

one fic has 255 reviews, 5-star rating, and 0 reviews.

Guest Big Samurai

Silly me, I forgot to respond to the original question. ... I have exactly one story at AFF, and it's me not being terribly serious, but I have twenty-two reviews for it. That might seem like a fair number for three fairly short chapters (more coming once the site is fully transferred), but a lot of it is the reviewers talking back and forth to each other.

• 2 weeks later...

I rarely receive reviews, and when I first started posting, it was extremely discouraging. Same as some other replies here, I've gotten great ratings, but no comments. I've posted original stories and a few different fanfics and got little or no feedback. I once was so ticked off, I pulled a story (a sequel no less) in a bit of a hissy fit and wouldn't you know it, someone e-mailed wanting to leave a review. I used to ask myself, "if people are hitting it, why aren't they commenting?"

I'm halfway through a story now, with over 600 hits, but only 3 comments. I don't care much anymore, I'm used to it, but I think it does contribute to writer "burn out". I'm having a difficult time finishing my current fic, yet I don't want to keep readers (and they're out there) waiting too long. It's a Catch-22. Best advice I ever read, which is common sense, was; "write first and foremost because you love the craft, and consider reviews as a nice bonus." Easier said than done sometimes, but it's good to know I'm not the only one in this situation. Hang in there!

BTW, I don't publish as Inkslinger (but maybe I 'll start...and intentionally write crap just to get lots of lousy reviews!)

Guest Nympho

I only have two on Aff right now, I pulled one of the other one because when I went back and read it while I was sober, I cringed.

Let's see, of AFF.net....566 hits, 5 reviews

On FF.net ....1526 hits, 25 reviews

I can't find the other one right now. I love leaving reviews, I just rarely use my login name or pen name to do so.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DarkVampWriter

Since the big move of aff (I guess u can say that) I haven't been getting any reviews at all. Just a few hits and there but usually people love leaving me reviews. I can't help it I am a review whore anyway..... *sigh*

Guest Tuxedo Elf
Since the big move of aff (I guess u can say that) I haven't been getting any reviews at all. Just a few hits and there but usually people love leaving me reviews. I can't help it I am a review whore anyway..... *sigh*

Ditto that. My readership has dropped dramatically, even on my most popular fic. Bah. Migh have to SSP! tongue.gif