InvidiaRed

InvidiaRed's review responses

I had wanted to respond to this a while back, but for some reason just didn’t.  Let me remedy that now.

On 11/2/2020 at 8:07 PM, InvidiaRed said:

Luzurial is a cosmic entity who predates the universe I’d put her in the same weight class as Hera and other queens of pantheons able to fight their spouses to a standstill.  Based on how she’s written she most likely would have sided with the gods. Gods are intimately connected to existence. They’re supposed to be there. They’re part of the grand design of the universe. They are exactly as they say they are. No more, no less. If she does have a counterpart my setting, She’s probably deep undercover and or desperately trying to fix the damage to the workings of the universe trying to get things back on track.

If they ever did meet.

Luzurial would burst into tears at the sight of him because the damage done to Duncan is too extensive, too deep.one side effect is the irrational insane rage that angels inspire in him and the other is when he sleeps he relives the worst moments of all his incarnations. 

I realize this might have been a purely hypothetical thing, but if you ever did want to have Duncan meet a friendly angel, I’d suggest the Archangel Jophiel, actually.  Similar to Luzurial (down to wielding a flaming sword), but with the benefit of not having been made up by JayDee or me, and of having an actual Hebrew name! ;)

Jophiel’s name, יוֹפִיאֵל, translates as “divine beauty”, and as such the angel is commonly depicted as female.  She’s listed by Pseudo-Dionysius as one of the seven archangels (along with Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, Camael and Zadkiel), but I suspect she would have counseled against attempted deicide because Jophiel is the archangel of wisdom, understanding and judgment.

She hasn’t shown up yet, but in the WitS universe, Jophiel is one of the seven vessels (the seven archangels), and her appearance is based on this stunning piece of art by Lorenz Basuki.  I don’t know that it’s a specific archangel, but the first time I saw it, someone was using it for Jophiel, and the image stuck.

Uh...I realize that sounded like I was pitching the character.  Sorry if it sounded like I was pushing.  Duncan’s got other things to do for the moment!

He’s gotta talk to a spider. :D

On the subject of Duncan himself, you mention that an angel, or archangel anyway, could see the damage done to him.  Can others?  Is it visible to his husband, for instance?

3 minutes ago, InBrightestDay said:

I had wanted to respond to this a while back, but for some reason just didn’t.  Let me remedy that now.

I realize this might have been a purely hypothetical thing, but if you ever did want to have Duncan meet a friendly angel, I’d suggest the Archangel Jophiel, actually.  Similar to Luzurial (down to wielding a flaming sword), but with the benefit of not having been made up by JayDee or me, and of having an actual Hebrew name! ;)

Jophiel’s name, יוֹפִיאֵל, translates as “divine beauty”, and as such the angel is commonly depicted as female.  She’s listed by Pseudo-Dionysius as one of the seven archangels (along with Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, Camael and Zadkiel), but I suspect she would have counseled against attempted deicide because Jophiel is the archangel of wisdom, understanding and judgment.

She hasn’t shown up yet, but in the WitS universe, Jophiel is one of the seven vessels (the seven archangels), and her appearance is based on this stunning piece of art by Lorenz Basuki.  I don’t know that it’s a specific archangel, but the first time I saw it, someone was using it for Jophiel, and the image stuck.

Uh...I realize that sounded like I was pitching the character.  Sorry if it sounded like I was pushing.  Duncan’s got other things to do for the moment!

On the subject of Duncan himself, you mention that an angel, or archangel anyway, could see the damage done to him.  Can others?  Is it visible to his husband, for instance?

I could kiss you :kissblush:

I would like an angel who isn’t a zealot or currently insane with impotent rage. Duncan deserves that chance of someone attempting genuine help without thought of boons or personal gain. I’ll look her up

Thank You <3

On 11/7/2020 at 11:52 PM, InBrightestDay said:

Duncan…. He hides his wounds. Being an old healer god means he’s been successful on the physical side of it anyway, Not showing what he perceives as something others would exploit. Most of the others gods younger than the arrival don't really understand what they’re seeing. Chalking them up to old battle scars  Think of scars that go deeper than he is on the spiritual side. If you lined up all his incarnations that’s where the damage becomes supremely obvious. A cosmic entity or an incredibly powerful god that bothered for a more than cursory check up would know something is up. 

A nature spirit could probably feel an offness in his spirit, a disquieting something that shouldn’t be there. Logan as of now doesn’t know. Chalking up Levi’s acquiescence to his fantasies as merely one of Levi’s moods. He’s newly wed so he really doesn’t see any signs that something is wrong and Duncan won’t say anything that might suggest that he isn’t fine.

Duncan Isn’t Fine, But he’s been that way for so long he’s settled for functional.

Edited by InvidiaRed
clarity

On 11/8/2020 at 2:00 AM, InvidiaRed said:

I would like an angel who isn’t a zealot or currently insane with impotent rage. Duncan deserves that chance of someone attempting genuine help without thought of boons or personal gain. I’ll look her up

Bear in mind that when I said “commonly depicted as female” I’m referring to art you’ll find if you Google “her”.  Officially, basically every angel other than Lailah is officially depicted as male (and certainly every canonical angel), thus in the Wikipedia article on Jophiel, he’s referred to as he/him, and is depicted as male in the stained glass window used for illustration.

As I said, I suspect that portrayal as female is due to the name, and as I include both male and female angels in the WitS-verse, Jophiel seemed a natural way to include at least one woman in the Seven Archangels.  Since “she” is non-canonical anyway (not mentioned in the Bible), and I don’t think angels are actually male or female to begin with (though they can take male or female forms when they choose to look like humans), I didn’t think it would be a problem.

That and that illustration of the armored, red-headed archangel was so striking that I so wanted to have that as a character.  Not sure when she’ll come up, but if I do future stories in the universe, there is a chance…

What I’m getting at is that WitS Jophiel is female, but you can use either male or female should you choose to employ the character.  Here is the Wikipedia article I mentioned above.

As for Duncan himself, that’s really interesting.  The idea of scars being sort of metaphysical and passing back through different incarnations, almost like they’re four-dimensional or something, is fascinating.  Obviously not fun for him, but fascinating. :D

3 hours ago, InBrightestDay said:

Bear in mind that when I said “commonly depicted as female” I’m referring to art you’ll find if you Google “her”.  Officially, basically every angel other than Lailah is officially depicted as male (and certainly every canonical angel), thus in the Wikipedia article on Jophiel, he’s referred to as he/him, and is depicted as male in the stained glass window used for illustration.

As I said, I suspect that portrayal as female is due to the name, and as I include both male and female angels in the WitS-verse, Jophiel seemed a natural way to include at least one woman in the Seven Archangels.  Since “she” is non-canonical anyway (not mentioned in the Bible), and I don’t think angels are actually male or female to begin with (though they can take male or female forms when they choose to look like humans), I didn’t think it would be a problem.

That and that illustration of the armored, red-headed archangel was so striking that I so wanted to have that as a character.  Not sure when she’ll come up, but if I do future stories in the universe, there is a chance…

What I’m getting at is that WitS Jophiel is female, but you can use either male or female should you choose to employ the character.  Here is the Wikipedia article I mentioned above.

As for Duncan himself, that’s really interesting.  The idea of scars being sort of metaphysical and passing back through different incarnations, almost like they’re four-dimensional or something, is fascinating.  Obviously not fun for him, but fascinating. :D

Oh man that brings back some memories of

In Nomine

Haha.

Look up Godbound sometime

Edited by InvidiaRed
clarity

On 11/7/2020 at 11:52 PM, InBrightestDay said:

The funny thing is I already got a thanksgiving story ready.

Festive Mishap

Hel intrudes Duncan’s home. Only to find nobody is home except the door is askew and she isn’t the only one attempting to Holiday crash.

From JayDee on November 19, 2020

Bound by Choice – first chapter with a title!

Well. Well. That sort of activity certainly seems dangerous. And I don’t mean the groaning like a zombie during a zombie outbreak. Imagine if it snapped, or misfired! The Jedi council had a similar problem I understand. Pretty funny for him to be found like that, though, and my guess is he is perfectly aware Harry saw him and had the reaction he did. Hot, that. You guessed right Argus also has a charm that makes the user tingle whenever someone walks in on them. So he is very aware that Harry being the only other person in the store

We both know pervy wizards and witches likely have all manner of carnal spells to make their wands do things.

Also I really liked the Patronus getting involved in getting attention. That was straight up hilarious! If Patronuses take the form of animals its not really a stretch to suggest that they also have personalities. They also have mass at-least as long as they are conjured.

And we learn a bit more about what big V’s got on Harry… Bit of a rough choice there, but things being as they are in the universe it’s probably the best he could get. Take the mark or your friend gets Kissed is a remarkable yet deeply coercive method but it is effective at recruitment. You’d have to be a monster to callously watch your friend suffer a fate much worse than death. Voldy knows Harry isn’t so he chose the angle that had the best chance at success. He needed Harry’s endorsement so the coup could have that legitimacy.

Subtly went right out the window when the world started ending.

Wizardkind already knew they were outnumbered by muggles. The most astute are rightly worried about what happens when the last muggle stronghold falls to the unrelenting onslaught of these dead. When there are no more muggles for the horde to search out. Alone against an unknown enemy.

The implication that these dead have a rudimentary magic of their own is a terrifying concept.

22 hours ago, InvidiaRed said:

Also I really liked the Patronus getting involved in getting attention. That was straight up hilarious! If Patronuses take the form of animals its not really a stretch to suggest that they also have personalities. They also have mass at-least as long as they are conjured.

Dat mass tho

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.