Click Here!

Harry Potter Book 7 Title

NightScribe

I am of the opinion that I'll find out the title when I buy the book:LOL:. To be honest I don't believe anything that comes out about the books before hand. I mean, has she even finished writing yet? Even if she is considering that title, who know what's going to happen between now and when its actually published.

And NightScribe, I totally agree. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollow's" isn't taking hold of my imagination. Oh well, I guess we'll find out eventually! dry.gif

According to the London Times, the title has been released on her site. However, you must play a special puzzle and a game of Hangman in order to discover the title. The instructions are as follows:

Cracking the puzzle

If you go to www.jkrowling.com, click on the eraser and you will be taken to a room with a window, a door and a mirror.

In the mirror, you will see a hallway. Click on the farthest doorknob and look for the Christmas tree. Then click on the centre of the door next to the mirror and a wreath appears. Then click on the top of the mirror and you will see a garland.

Look for a cobweb next to the door. Click on it, and it will disappear. Now, look at the chimes in the window. Click on the second chime to the right, and hold it down. The chime will turn into the key, which opens the door.

Click on the parcel behind the door, then click on it again and figure out the title yourself by playing a game of hangman.

You must guess which letters fill the gaps before revealing that the title of the new book will be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a huge fan of the series and that I don't think JK is that great an author. On the other hand, I do consider an author's attitude important. In that respect, I do like JK. She's a modest, down-to-earth author who deserves the respect she gets. Judging from her latest interviews, she's reached that point where the fame of Harry Potter is finally starting to bear down on her. With the stress this series is finally causing the poor woman, I'm not surprised that the title of the final book sucks. Still, I think it's best that she just tries to finish the book ASAP. Once she publishes the final book, it'll ease a lot of the stress, and she might be able to better enjoy the HP series again when co-working on the rest of the movies.

All right, I've been thinking about this a lot and I've done some research. It's no secret that JK 'borrows' from ancient legends and Arthurian themes seem to be a favorite. With that in mind I give you this:

Hallows

The Hallows across most legends are seen to represent the royal regalia carried by the King, or the objects sought by someone such as a 'Grail Quester' (See Grail Knights) in both ancient and modern stories.

The sacred vessels, or 'Hallows of Ireland' were believed to have been brought by the 'Tuatha de Danaan' (See Tuatha de Danaan) to Ireland and kept in the 'Crane Bag', visible at high tide only. Four people were responsible for guarding the contents, known as 'Guardians of the Hallows' : 'Manannan' (See Manannan), 'Lugh' (See Lugh), 'Cumhal' (See Cumhal), 'Fionn' (See Fionn). When it was first in Manannan's care it contained:

Manannan's House;

Goibniu's shirt, belt, knife and smith's hook;

King of Lochlann's Helmet;

King of Alba's Shears;

A Belt made from fish skin;

Asal's pig's bones.

Later the Tuatha de Danaan were believed to be a people who were said to have brought sacred treasures from an island near Greece to Ireland from the Otherworld (See Otherworld). There were said to be four treasures:

1. Shining spear of Lugh (from Gorias), providing victory in any fight;

2. Stone of Fal (from Falias), kings were crowned on this;

3. Sword of Nuadu (from Findias), impossible to avoid being struck and wounded by its contact;

4. Cauldron of Dagda (from Murias), of plenty. (See Dagda), (See Bran the Blessed).

The four hallows of the Tuatha de Danaan were developed in later traditions to be:

1. The Pole of Combat;

2. The Sword of Light;

3. The Cauldron of Cure;

4. The Stone of Destiny.

These have since been further developed to the four symbols of magical elements, to also be seen on Tarot packs as the four suits:

1. The Sword;

2. The Spear;

3. The Cup;

4. The Pentacle.

We can see that the sacred vessels influenced the Arthurian legends, Grail legends and the search for the hallowed objects in ancient 'Annwn' (See Annwn) also being associated with those of the Tuatha de Danaan:

1. The Sword which is Broken;

2. The Spear of the Dolorous Blow;

3. The Dish (to process the Head of the Withdrawn Grail Guardian);

4. The Grail (Sacred Chalice / Cauldron of Plenty & Inspiration).

The Spear has also been referred to as the 'Lance of Longinus', as it is said to be the one which 'Longinus', a Roman centurion, used to pierce Christ's side as He was being crucified.

The Hallows were believed to be shown to the Grail Questers whilst attending a meeting, or in some cases a feast. This meeting has been considered to be a tradition if not a ritual accompaniment to the feast, where the focus of the viewing of The Hallows was considered one to be respected. In some legends the 'Lady of the Lake' (See Lady of the Lake) is referred to as the 'Guardian of the Hallows of Kingship'.

Today The Hallows can be seen to exist in modern regalia;

1. The Sceptre (Rod of Equity and Mercy);

2. The Sword of State;

3. The Ampulla of Holy Oil;

4. The Crown.

In early Arthurian legend it was said that thirteen treasures existed in the Otherworld, and these were reputed to have been retrieved from Annwn by Arthur. These were collectively known as the 'Thirteen Treasures of Britain' (See Hallows of Britain). The story of their recovery is told in the poems of 'Taliesin' (See Taliesin).

Aren't there four Horcurxes left? huh.gif

Also, when I hear Hallows I think All Hallows Eve - the time when the veil between worlds is easily parted and the spirits of the dead return. Perhaps the veil at the Dept. of Mysteries will play a part in the storyline? JK has stated that we will learn more about ghosts... Maybe Sirius or Dumbledore (or both) will come back as one? Alright, that's prolly just wishful thinking, but still....

Well, Nanaea, you seem to be onto something here. The info on hallows does seem to point to something huge and mystical, and I couldn't help but think, while reading it, "Hmm... four protectors... four house founders... hmmm...". But that just could be my over active imagination running away on me.

I hope she does. I'm sorry, but Harry is just too much of a Stu for my liking. Either way, I think it would be quite appropriate to have him die in the final battle, instead of surviving and either living with the horrors of the war for the rest of his life or having his victory warp him into another version of Gilderoy Lockhart. The second scenario is plausible because he keeps losing some of his humility each year.

Having Harry die is also the best way to finalize the series and steer off demands for a spin-off series. If the nightmares are any indication, pressure to write another series related to the HP universe might ruin JK's mental and creative stability as an author. Sure, she could outright refuse such a request, but I doubt she'd stick to it. She's just a little too nice to her fans.

No, I say let Harry die a noble death and let him have some true peace after the prophecy is fulfilled.

Nan: I love the info you've dug up. I think JK will use the info as a resource, and it just may give us excellent insight into the final book if she chooses to incorporate the legend as far as the Horcruxes go.

Guest lightgoddess
You can't judge a book by its cover...., or title. I'm sure the book will be awesome. I just hope she doesn't kill poor Harry off.

I'm trying not to, but I thought HBP was kind of silly, and I was very disappointed with the book. As for Harry dying, I used to not want him to, but I sort of agree with Eve on this one. He'd be one screwed up character without years of counseling to help him with the horrors of war, losing his childhood, and all the other crap he's had to go through. Of course, it'd be kind of cool is she made him a ghost or something. Kind of a still living on without actually living. He could become a Hogwarts house ghost if he chose to stay. smile.gif

Of course, I'm sure regardless of how the ending is written, most fans will be unsatisfied. I just hope it's a better read than HBP regardless of the ending.

And, Nan, many thanks for the info on Hallows. Methinks that we'll see something very interesting coming from that legend in DH. (See, there aren't even enough letters to abbreviate!! lol)

• 1 month later...
You can't judge a book by its cover...., or title. I'm sure the book will be awesome. I just hope she doesn't kill poor Harry off.

Firstly: I absolutely agree; I'd love Harry to remain alive and be happily married to Ginny and have twelve children like Trelawney fakely prophecied in OotP when Harry did that Quibbler interview.

Secondly: I so don't want Black to come back... the bullying coward!!! I hated him in the books and was actually not that bothered by his death so if he came back I'd be hugely disappointed; I think that Hallows has something more to do with James and Lily's death that was on Halloween rather than Blacks death that happened sometime in June.

Thirdly: The title of the book gave me shivers and I love it... The Half-Blood Prince was dead simple as I worked within the day of the announcement that it was Snape and this one is a whole lot more ambiguous to me.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.