Click Here!

How you should write your review.

WarrenTheConey

I have a sneaking suspicion, that people aren't leaving reviews, because they don't know what they should say in them.

It's something that I asked myself about, when I wanted to leave a review on a story I enjoyed.

I didn't want to just say 'good job', and I also wanted to avoid saying 'this is bad' or 'good', without being as objective as I could be.

So, I sat down and thought about what things a reader and writer of fan-fiction, might want to know or should know, about a fan-fic.

With this in mind, I wrote down a list of things that I may or may not put in a review, depending on whether or not I think it should be said.

This is the list that I now use, when writing a review.

---

Was this story good or bad overall? Could you recommend the story? Give at least a vague reason or example as to why, it was good or bad for you.

Do the characters have, for the most part, 'clear' and 'reasonable' motivations that drive them to do what they are doing? If motives are in doubt, can you offer improvements to the motives of their characters?

Is the story too, out of place, to be believable in the 'cannon' of that 'universe'? If it does feel out of place, can you offer an improvement, so the story doesn't feel out of line with the 'cannon' of that 'universe'?

How is the wording and spelling? Is it difficult or easy to read through? If it is difficult to read through, can you offer a suggestion as to how the writer can improve on those?

Does the story's title, description and tags, give the reader a clear idea of what the story may be about, without, spoiling the story? Can you offer advice on how to make these more clear, without, spoiling the story?

What else, if anything, do you want the readers and/or the writer to know, about this story?

---

These are of course, things that I felt would be important in a review, for both a reader and writer.

I think this would be a good template for those who are looking to give an 'objective' review, but don't know where to start.

Of course I'm always eager to hear other's thoughts and perspectives on the matter, and on the template I now use.

As an author that gets almost no reviews… an “Atta boy Love this!” would be GREAT.  Mentioning points you like, wonderful.  If there’s something you don’t… butter it up on both sides with what did work/loved, sandwich in the bad, so it doesn’t come off utterly negative.

Hi, @Desiderius Price and all.

7 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

As an author that gets almost no reviews… an “Atta boy Love this!” would be GREAT.  Mentioning points you like, wonderful.  If there’s something you don’t… butter it up on both sides with what did work/loved, sandwich in the bad, so it doesn’t come off utterly negative.

To the all the above, I would add, “First, read the story.”  There are some readers “out there,” in multiple meanings of the phrase, who will pan a story over points that were covered in the story with crystal clarity had they only bothered to read it.

Otherwise, @WarrenTheConey’s key points are a very good start.  Keeping in mind that beta readers are scarcer than hen’s teeth, most fanfiction writers are having to figure out everything all on their own.  Any advice sincerely and honestly given will help the writer in posting a better story.

The “great story, keep posting” reviews are also nice, especially for longer stories.  While I don’t write for reviews, I also don’t turn my nose up at good reviews that only tell me that the reader is enjoying the story.

Cheers!

My goal of course, is to give anyone who is thinking of giving a review a simple base to start from.

I would go so far as to say, my own review can be further broken down to a very simple core.

---

Did you enjoy the story?
What was one very notable aspect of the story, that made the work enjoyable to you?
Why in your opinion, did that aspect, make the story more enjoyable?

OR

Did you dislike the story?
What was one very notable aspect of the story, that made it difficult to enjoy?
Why in your opinion, did that aspect, make the story difficult to enjoy?
How would you, personally, change that aspect, to make the story more enjoyable?

---

The above could apply to anything, characters, grammar, spelling, plot, etc.

I also want to encourage people to leave ANY type of thoughts or reviews, whether they are 'positive' or 'negative'.

As long as a thought or review is given, with logic and objectivity tempering that opinion, then that 'criticism' will always be 'constructive'.

'Constructive criticism', will always be a benefit to both readers and writers. Readers will have an idea of what to expect before reading, and writers will be advised on aspects of their writing, that may benefit from some level of improvement.

I really hope people will see this post and feel encouraged to leave a short thought or review on the next story they read.

12 hours ago, WarrenTheConey said:

'Constructive criticism', will always be a benefit to both readers and writers. Readers will have an idea of what to expect before reading, and writers will be advised on aspects of their writing, that may benefit from some level of improvement.

Dragons lay here because some authors are pretty fragile.  So, remember to butter it up if you start tossing in negatives, keeping those to one or two.

I agree that writers should be encouraged, but how best to do that, seems to be a point on which Desiderius Price and I will have to, 'agree to disagree'. 🥺❤️‍🩹

🤓 However, I'm sure we can also agree, that I am inevitably right, Desiderius Price is objectively wrong, and that someone with administrative authority should immediately lock the replies, so that I can have the last word, on my unquestionably insightful post. 😂

Edited by WarrenTheConey