Click Here!

Hair description or no hair description?

Deadman

Something that I noticed about myself recently is that I don’t spend a lot of time speaking about characters’ hair when I write stuff.

What I mean is that I tend to have a lot of female characters who have all kinds of different types of hair and it never really comes up. Particularly when they’re getting physical. For instance, if a woman is giving a blowjob, I don’t always describe them or someone moving their hair out of the way to get it done. Or if they’re moving their head in particular ways, like while dancing, the hair never comes into it. Occasionally when it’s fun for whoever they’re having sex with to take control of their head, it is spoken about. Beyond that, not really.

Obviously in a real world scenario, a woman with long hair who is dancing around and moving their hair, it would get in the way.

Do you often describe what the hair of your characters are doing?

Hmm… I might be describing pubic hair more than the stuff on top of my character’s heads.

Anyways, searching for the word “hair”, I seem to have 4-6 paragraphs per chapter describing hair (not counting paragraphs with “chair” or “pubic” in their words) in the last hundred chapters or so of my potter fanfic.

22 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

Hmm… I might be describing pubic hair more than the stuff on top of my character’s heads.

Anyways, searching for the word “hair”, I seem to have 4-6 paragraphs per chapter describing hair (not counting paragraphs with “chair” or “pubic” in their words) in the last hundred chapters or so of my potter fanfic.

Well that’s not exactly the type of hair that I was thinking about, but truthfully I don’t spend a lot of time focusing on that type of hair either.

25 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

A number of my characters are nudists, so it comes up more frequently.

Do nudists shave their head a lot? Is it a big thing with nudists to have a bald head but hair downstairs?

27 minutes ago, Deadman said:

Do nudists shave their head a lot? Is it a big thing with nudists to have a bald head but hair downstairs?

Not sure, haven’t really taken a comprehensive survey.  A quick google search… lots of “data points” to “sift” through :)

Nah, it’s more about having a tendency to mention the pubic hair as it’s a fast reminder that the character is, indeed, naked without dropping the word.

Though now that we’re talking about it, going to have to make sure I describe pubic hair in the next paragraph I write in my story :)

1 hour ago, Desiderius Price said:

Not sure, haven’t really taken a comprehensive survey.  A quick google search… lots of “data points” to “sift” through :)

Nah, it’s more about having a tendency to mention the pubic hair as it’s a fast reminder that the character is, indeed, naked without dropping the word.

Though now that we’re talking about it, going to have to make sure I describe pubic hair in the next paragraph I write in my story :)

Okay then. I don’t think I’d go down that rabbit hole personally. I just assumed that given you writing about nudists, you might know.

3 minutes ago, Deadman said:

Okay then. I don’t think I’d go down that rabbit hole personally. I just assumed that given you writing about nudists, you might know.

It varies on how I write… but it’s more adhoc than Harry joining a nudist club.  Jeff (original) is closer.  I’d presume it’s reflect regular society…  some shave below, some prefer it short on top, some do both, and some leave it natural.