Click Here!

Server Upgrade/Migration

DemonGoddess

• 4 weeks later...

As with just about anything, this didn’t go as smoothly as it could have and should  have, given that it’s an intracompany transfer, from Nexcess to LiquidWeb, their parent company.  So, instead of finishing up by, say the 3rd, we finally finished this all up by the 19th.  Having said all that, I have to say I am really excited about the change, and here’s why.

• SSL finally works as intended
  • moving from Interworx to cPanel has made a huge difference.  We can actually tailor PHP needs to different subdomains.  For example, the forum needs 8.x, and has that version.  The archive is on 7.x.  Manta is working on bringing all of it up to 8.x  The ability to use the later versions of both PHP and my SQL are necessary to be able to implement things that we could NOT in lesser versions.
  • The hardware is worlds away from what we used to have.  More powerful, and efficient.
  • Much better physical virus protection
  • Much better spam protection

Mind you, Manta and I both tend to work a bunch IRL, so the SNAFU on the timeline really, really, put a wrench in things.  

BIG BIG thank you to Manta for carrying the load during this migration, as work, as it tends to do, wouldn’t let me have time off for much of anything.  Go figure.