Click Here!

How do you tell the difference?

Saitochan

Hey people! I was wondering these past few days... How long can a writer's block be?

I've been trying my best to write lately, but the last time I managed to produce was a little

over two months ago. What if I just lost interest in my stories? You ever had something similar happen to you?

What can I do about it? Any suggestions or ideas?

Hey people! I was wondering these past few days... How long can a writer's block be?

I've been trying my best to write lately, but the last time I managed to produce was a little

over two months ago. What if I just lost interest in my stories? You ever had something similar happen to you?

What can I do about it? Any suggestions or ideas?

we must draw a line between a writers block and lack of reliability/diligence.

as authors we can let ourselves suffer from writer block from time to time. sometimes we can even decide that the given story is not worth continuing.

yep, it can happen.

but start worrying if it happens for the second or third time :)

the second thing, I guess, is an ordinary discipline. you can have a shorter or longer break, but every work, in every field, is a hindrance sometimes. nevertheless, we have to overcome the weakness and keep going. that's the right way, if we want improvement and effects. nothing comes for free and with no effort :) nothing valuable, anyway :P

oh, what do I do when the writer's block comes?

I had one lately, but it's gone! :D

when I can't write, I make up other stories, with other heros. I don't write them (I couldn't carry on with more than one story simultaneously) but I think about them intensively to let my mind and emotions relax and clear of the main problem. then the time comes, after one, two, three months, when I just start missing those, whom I've left ;)

and I go back to my story...

For me, if i spend large parts of my day thinking about parts of the story i've already written, or the parts i've figured out that come next, but can't figure a way to bridge between the two (I have chapters 1-4, and know what happens in 6, but can't jimmy up 5 to save my life), then that's my writer's block.

If i go into my 'MUST WORK ON' directory and am surprised to find that story about the ficus molestor still in there, that's disinterest.

I don't think I ever have writer's block. I just think I become disinterested at times, especially when I get to the point in a story to where I start planning it out in my head. Once I do that its no longer fresh and new to me and I lose interest. To counter act this I just try not to pressure myself into finishing stories and just write about whatever I want at the time. I have at least 4 unfinished stories here on AFF and several more on FF.nazi but I'm not writing on that piece of shit site anymore. I don't worry about it too much, I just write at my leisure, its not like I'm getting paid to do this.

can't figure a way to bridge
that's it!

I know this pain.

Nothing can be done but forcing myself to get through this :D

It's like connecting dots somethimes -_-

I don't think I ever have writer's block. I just think I become disinterested at times, especially when I get to the point in a story to where I start planning it out in my head. Once I do that its no longer fresh and new to me and I lose interest. To counter act this I just try not to pressure myself into finishing stories and just write about whatever I want at the time. I have at least 4 unfinished stories here on AFF and several more on FF.nazi but I'm not writing on that piece of shit site anymore. I don't worry about it too much, I just write at my leisure, its not like I'm getting paid to do this.

well,

1. it IS a block, when you can't continue the story. the point is to have a story complete, not to have 5 beginnings, right?

2. if you don't finish your stories, please, don't publish them here...

what for? if it's just for your fun, why would you make people read things you have no plan to complete? give us, readers, a break, will you? :D

if you give up a fic, just remove it :D

when I can't write, I make up other stories, with other heros. I don't write them (I couldn't carry on with more than one story simultaneously) but I think about them intensively to let my mind and emotions relax and clear of the main problem.

Well, I'm giving it a try... but I guess it'll be a while before I can see actual results. Thanks for the advice though. Maybe I'll write down what I come up with... but then I'd have yet another unfinished story when (not if) the writer's block strikes back.

Oh well.

P.D.: Oh, I almost forgot. I agree with Psychostorm. If I'm not getting paid for this, there's not really a reason to rush it (except maybe for the readers and reviewers sake)

well,

1. it IS a block, when you can't continue the story. the point is to have a story complete, not to have 5 beginnings, right?

2. if you don't finish your stories, please, don't publish them here...

what for? if it's just for your fun, why would you make people read things you have no plan to complete? give us, readers, a break, will you? ;)

if you give up a fic, just remove it :)

1. I could sit down and force myself to continue writing but that would degenerate the quality I think. If I'm writing something because I feel obligated too rather than because I feel like it, I won't do as good a job. I think this extends to just about all aspects of my life, its just the kinda guy I am.

2. Well, since I publish my stories a chapter at a time I have no idea if I will finish them or not. I would like to think that I'd eventually finish all my stories at some point, I mean I don't really ever "give up" on any of them, sometimes it just takes a while before I feel the urge to add a chapter.

My longest running fic, SNC, is nearly complete and I'm starting up several other fics, including a Bleach fic I just posted, just for fun really. If I have several fics going at once I can just write chapters for which ever ones I happen to feel like at the time, it gives me more options really.

And as for removing incomplete fics, I can see how some people would want to see a fic completed but I'd like to think that most people can just enjoy what I provide them with. There have been several instances where I've read fics halfway through and lost interest but that didn't mean that I didn't enjoy the parts that I did read.

sadly, i have agreed with myself that i have acquired ADD or something along those lines with my stories. i come up with great ideas for my stories but every time i take the time to sit down and start writing my mind wanders to something else and my story just sits there.

this is also my problem with re-reading what i have previously written is i get bored so my mind isnt 100% fixed on the story so it just sits there. my mind gets too many thoughts and everything gets jumbled so i cant think straight.

this topic has reminded me that i really should try to start writing again. force myself to find a cold semi-dark corner with nothing to distract me and not come out until i have completed something worthwhile.

1. I could sit down and force myself to continue writing but that would degenerate the quality I think. If I'm writing something because I feel obligated too rather than because I feel like it, I won't do as good a job. I think this extends to just about all aspects of my life, its just the kinda guy I am.
I've been there, I've seen it.

story of my life.

but maybe learning how to push oneself to carry on is a good way, after all?

maybe we can improve on this as well?

professional writers must go through times of doubt, I guess and I don't believe that every chapter they write is powered by enthusiasm :)

sometimes I write a weak part and I rework it later... it works sometimes.

2. Well, since I publish my stories a chapter at a time I have no idea if I will finish them or not. I would like to think that I'd eventually finish all my stories at some point, I mean I don't really ever "give up" on any of them, sometimes it just takes a while before I feel the urge to add a chapter.
well, the question of attitude, I think.

for me publishing something means a kind of a deal.

as long as I write for myself, all this doesn't matter.

but publishing stories, even for free, is like an informal commitment; at least I treat it this way :)

And as for removing incomplete fics, I can see how some people would want to see a fic completed but I'd like to think that most people can just enjoy what I provide them with. There have been several instances where I've read fics halfway through and lost interest but that didn't mean that I didn't enjoy the parts that I did read.

okay, then how 'bout adding an info, that you're not going to finish the story, at least for now? :)

spare me, please :D

Well, I'm giving it a try... but I guess it'll be a while before I can see actual results. Thanks for the advice though. Maybe I'll write down what I come up with... but then I'd have yet another unfinished story when (not if) the writer's block strikes back.

another idea that works for me is reading a lot :)

I read other fictions, they inspire me, they make me... jealous. when I see that someone else can write something good and people read and comment, then I wish I also want to do it. the desire to write my own story comes back sometimes :)

If I'm not getting paid for this, there's not really a reason to rush it (except maybe for the readers and reviewers sake)
I'm only talking about finishing the story.

you don't get paid so you don't have to hurry, that's true.

but you give me a bait. thus, I'd be grateful if there was something following the bait :P

sometimes I write a weak part and I rework it later... it works sometimes.

Well, I tried that already (with a whole chapter. And I even published it! What was I thinking...)

another idea that works for me is reading a lot :lol:

I read other fictions, they inspire me, they make me... jealous. when I see that someone else can write something good and people read and comment, then I wish I also want to do it. the desire to write my own story comes back sometimes ;)

Yup, I got to say that works. Not as much as to write a whole chapter, but I've managed to finish a few paragraphs. It's better than nothing, right?

Besides reading fanfiction, I'm into Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, and though I can't really say they inpire me (I get so imbebbed into her story I totally forget my own), every page I turn shows me new ways of describing scenarios, writing dialogues and getting into a character's mind. That can be really useful. Thank you Anne Rice!

Here's what you do. You just sit down and force yourself to write it. Even if it's crap. You can always edit it once you're done. If it's disinterest. Put a crazy twist in it. Just cause you're disinterested doesn't mean your readers are. So keep on keepin' on.

Peace-Love-Yaoi

yay, i finally forced myself to write and got about a page written. unfortuately, about half of it was just double spacing and about 1 sentence dialoge but still i managed to write something.

ok, just had to get that off my chest. i have a story that i was working on, rewrote it about 3 times already and the problem im having with it is i find it hard to reread it in order to determine what to keep and what to get rid of :wub: .

a tip i find with inspiration is to go into an all out emo state. it really gives you some good ideas for the angsty plots. :oWARNING: going into an emo state of mind may result in not caring about anything and might result in uncontrolled behavior.

I just recently went through about two months of writer's block. I had the idea in my head but every frickin time I tried to write, I couldn't think of how to put it. The fic I'm working on right now finally sparked after talking with someone about wanting to write lol

I lost interest in one story I was writing. So I didn't publish. I had about four pages written and got bored with it. Same old characters, typical "i love you, wait no i don't" story. It got old. LOL!!!

The key is to attempt to think of anything, or do something else other than write. Listen to music, watch a movie (maybe of the fandom your writing about?) just something other than what your writing. I myself make videos sometimes. I put them on youtube and watch them lol I'm so conceded!

The key is to find other ways to express your creativity. Whether it be writing total CRAP or doing something else.

Sometimes taking a nap helps too :(