Click Here!

[Added extras] Originals Subdomain / Disclaimer question

JayDee

Hi there,

Under 'Originals' I have three strories using an artist's original characters. These characters apppear in much of the creator’s non-fanart that I have seen and have no basis in any fandom or on any celebrity (They are not, for example, OCs for Harry Potter). My three stories were written and posted with the creator's permission, and the first was a direct request.

On that basis, I posted them under Originals with my standard fanfiction disclaimer modified to state that "I don’t own any of Wolverine’s original characters and make no profit from this story."

So my first question is - Is the Originals section correct for stories using another creator's original characters, and if not, where should they go?

The reason I have this question is that When I re-read the Disclaimers FAQ before my post in the weak/missing disclaimers board, I noted that under the section for Originals disclaimers it states

"Original fiction one would expect to have an author's OWN characters," and the disclaimer should say as such.

My section question is: If stories using (with permission) another creator's original characters in this way are acceptable under the Originals subdomain are acceptable, can the disclaimers FAQ be added to, to confirm how you want them disclaimed?

Thanks

(I checked through and could not find this being covered elsewhere).

Edited by JayDee

Absolutely it can be added to. Right now, it's very brief, and yes, it certainly DOES need expanded a bit.

As long as you have the artist's permission to use the characters in your writing, state that, and it should cover it all. Yes, it should still be in originals.

I'll leave this here so I remember to make time to work on the disclaimers FAQ a bit more, since you asked for additions to it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.