Click Here!

Am I allowed to have an index?

Bree

I have a story that's really long and I want to create an index with a summary and corresponding tags for each chapter in case people would like to jump to something specific. Is this allowed? If so, should I put it in its own chapter or after the end of the final chapter of the story?

We actually only allow an index in the case of a drabble or oneshot collection. A summary is permitted as a chapter on its own only in the case of a round robin, where the author initiating it sets forth the rules and procedures.

As far as tags, we would require those to be in the actual chapter, or in the story summary on the archive page.

Having said all that, what you CAN do is create this index and summary, with links to the chapters, right here in the forum. You can then add the url for the index thread in the story, at the top or bottom of each chapter if you'd like. I'd recommend using one of the Fan Fiction threads, as most of us do for review replies, because those threads are open to forum guests to read and reply.

Ok, thank you for the help. Just to make sure I understand correctly: am I required to put specific warning tags at the beginning of each chapter or can I leave them off (only putting them in the main story summary, to avoid chapter-specific spoilers) and just put them next to their chapters in the forum index that I create?

Edited by Bree

You can put them in the main story summary, which avoids the chapter-spoilers. That's perfectly fine. You could even put them all at the top of the first chapter, if they don't fit in the summary field, which is only 240 characters.

As long as they are somewhere a reader will see them, and know what to expect in the course of the story, we're good. The reasoning is that certain things are triggers, and we don't want readers getting blindsided by running into content they'd not willingly have read.

And in the forum thread, if you wanted to include them in the index, next to each chapter, that's absolutely fine as well. Since readers would find the index url after reading a chapter, it certainly wouldn't be a spoiler for them. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.