Click Here!

She is the One

GEMINI

I've got a couple things to say as I didn't get around to making a post after I read the chapter. (Sometimes life just gets in the way, doesn't it?) Also; Go Broncos!

Anyway, once again, great chapter. The first that I'll note, a thing I found very interesting, is the very beginning of the chapter. Up until she gets angry, this isn't really a Kayla I've seen. Her dialogue is different. As if she's more mature, and smarter. But then she gets pissed off and we see insecure, trust issue Kayla, as usual. (That's Jack's fault in part, not putting that one all on Kayla) Seriously, I encourage you guys to go back and look, and tell me if I'm crazy please. It just struck me as off? Odd? Maybe just different.

Second, I think there's substantial empirics to suggest that Jessica is not part of the ring, at least not one of the prostitutes. She's good at bullshiting, but not that good. She's not much of a slut, it seems, and she's looking for validation. She wants a guy to make her feel good. In a sense, she's like Tara. Except Tara got Jack, and how much did it really help her? I'm not convinced that she's even in anyway involved.

Now, Joe Long's proposal of the Belle red herring is very plausible, I think. I'm fully inclined to agree. And with that on my mind, I'm not sure I can make an effective assessment. However, one thing's for sure: Kayla's not going to be happy. She doesn't want Jack to get involved (when has that ever stopped him?) and she wants peace. I doubt she'll get either. I was looking forward to some more Jack-Kayla teamwork, but I don't know now. Belle may yet have unforseen trobles, or we're all pulling a Jack and over thinking it. (But that's our job, methinks.)

Also, we're getting a fair amount of signs from Amanda. The more it goes on, the more Alan is into Kelly, and the more Amanda's jealousy grows. Who knows how long it will be until she goes off, and the most important question; Will Alan be able to resist? My answer? It depends on the time and place, along with how long Amanda waits.

That promise ring thing was weird, so I'm waiting for the reality check there. I don't think Arthur is fake, I just believe Tara has some problems that can't be fixed through sex, or watching people have sex, of constantly thinking about Jack... and so on.

And does Rhona have confidence issues? She pretty soft inside, when we've gotten a look. She seemed serious, maybe she was just critical of Paul. Back the Belle, subject, she needs to stop trying so hard, really, she's gotta cave at some point.

Edited by thismy

And does Rhona have confidence issues? She pretty soft inside, when we've gotten a look. She seemed serious, maybe she was just critical of Paul. Back the Belle, subject, she needs to stop trying so hard, really, she's gotta cave at some point.

I've said before, I think Rhona is just lonely. She has developed a personality that drives most people away. She can likely get laid whenever she wants (but not from Paul!) but it's impersonal. She wants to be loved.

Jessica is similar but different. She's insecure, as she has a very high opinion of herself (maybe her parents were all into self esteem) so she needs people to be telling her how great she is because she really doubts it deep inside. She craves that affirmation, and now Mrs. Locke, who provided a lot of it, is gone.

Then that also makes me think of Tara, again a little different. She wants to be loved, but is confusing a physical relationship with an emotional one. She thinks, like many teen girls, that if she puts out for a guy he'll love her in return - but as she's found out most will just use her for their own gratification and be on their way.

Now this all makes me appreciate how good of a writer Joe is, to be able to develop these characters.

Me too thought that Tara is going to kiss Jack and i was screaming in my head 'no' no' no' but some pervert thing in me wanted.but we know that could led to again to terrible after shocks as Jack would have started overthinking and thinking of "to tell Kyla" or " not to tell" ...

That promise ring thing was weird, so I'm waiting for the reality check there.

What was weird was both sets of parents signing off on it. I can see Becca's folks being okay with the idea since Craig would be a great catch coming from a wealthy family-- but not so much Mr. & Mrs. Carter. Maybe they reason that if Craig stays with Becca until graduation he will have matured enough to move on to college and make a fresh start. They are no doubt aware of their son's reputation with girls prior to Becca.

More to the point, Craig is a year ahead of Becca and slated to attend an elite business school (his dad's alma mater). So he'll be away at college while Becca is a high school senior. I suppose it's possible but the odds are heavily against it.

Jessica is similar but different. She's insecure, as she has a very high opinion of herself (maybe her parents were all into self esteem) so she needs people to be telling her how great she is because she really doubts it deep inside. She craves that affirmation, and now Mrs. Locke, who provided a lot of it, is gone.

This is an interesting point and made me realize that-- as far as we know-- Jessica has never had a steady boyfriend. That's a little strange when you consider that she's at the top of the social pecking order. You'd think that she would at least have somebody on standby to take her to school functions and just to be seen with. If Jessica is, in fact, insecure about guys (fearing rejection) then perhaps that's why she has sex with her brother and surrounds herself with admiring girlfriends.

I think Jessica's relationship with Belle is key here. When Belle left her entourage and started dating Joe it probably wounded Jessica deeply-- she wasn't needed anymore. That's about when she started trying to be friends with Jack and Kayla, probably because Belle was part of their group now. Jessica was no doubt beside herself when Belle dumped Joe and publicly declared her hatred for Jack. With Ms. Locke out of the picture, Jessica will do everything she can to keep Belle all to herself.

On another note: Keep an eye on Jack and Mrs. Karlow. Could be a connection there, methinks.

On another note: Keep an eye on Jack and Mrs. Karlow. Could be a connection there, methinks.

and I really hold out hope that Kayla's Dad had been, uh, admiring Tara's Facebook pics. We still don't know what caused the problems between Mr. and Mrs. Hanigan over the summer. We haven't heard anything about how adults can also be messed up sexually.

We haven't heard anything about how adults can also be messed up sexually.

Well, call me old fashioned but the perverted part of my mind wants to see Jack get involved with one of his teachers. I was hoping for Ms. Cartwright, but Mrs. Karlow would be perfectly acceptable.

Well, call me old fashioned but the perverted part of my mind wants to see Jack get involved with one of his teachers. I was hoping for Ms. Cartwright, but Mrs. Karlow would be perfectly acceptable.

See, now, the logistics of this are the biggest thing. There's a couple things you ought to ask yourself.

1. Why would Jack want to get involved with a teacher?

-Does he have mommy issues, thus maybe driving him to an older, more experienced lover? No, not as far as I'm aware.

-Does he have a thing for older woman? Nope, haven't seen that.

-Has he described or in anyway indicated he's into any of the teachers? No. Granted, he said Ms. Cartwright was atractive, but that's simply because she is, not because Jack wants her.

2. Does he have any incentive to leave or cheat on Kayla? Not in a million years. Jack once said if he lost his virginity to a random drunk girl at a party, he'd get his dick removed. He's indicated that he's a romantic. The story is entitled She is The One. Crazy fan theories aside, all sings point to Kayla.

3. Why would any teacher want Jack? Sure, he's mature, sure he's sometimes emotionally understanding. But do you know why its weird for people who are years younger to hook up with older people? I'm talking 17 year olds with 27 year olds. Because while the young person may be mature the older person is often immature and unstable. The point being, Jack should be all that interesting to a teacher, and the two we've seen just don't look like the type to hook up with a student.

The point being, Jack should be all that interesting to a teacher, and the two we've seen just don't look like the type to hook up with a student.

I will grant you the point and admit that my statement was over-broad. It would be lunacy for a teacher to get sexually involved with a high school student these days. In my own area there have been a number of such news stories over the past decade or so-- one involving a high school principal-- and in every case the person was summarily fired... and that's before the criminal and civil penalties.

I think that Jack and Mrs. Karlow will find that they have a lot in common. Jack was impressed when she recited her own poetry and Mrs. Karlow will likewise be impressed with him. Remember last year in theatre class when Jack recited the monologue from memory and got a standing ovation? I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes her star pupil. Jack will like her and enjoy her class because it will be a breath of fresh air compared to Ms. Locke's bi-polar method of teaching. It will be fun to watch if Jack develops any closeness to Mrs. Karlow because Kayla will be right there to see it.

And I do still believe that Ms. Cartwright had a thing for Jack. The conversations they had were more friend-friend than they were student-teacher. And she seemed really let down when Jack told her that he wasn't taking her phys ed class in his junior year. I am waiting for her to reappear in the story.

By the way, isn't phys ed a requirement anymore? When I was in school it took a doctor's excuse to get out of it.

When I was in school (a long time ago) we had 2 hour long periods a week. Slowly there was a shift towards 100% academics. Maybe it was "OMG, the Chinese are better than math than us! We shouldn't be wasting time playing badminton!" so now we sit in front of a computer all day and get fat.

Sexual relations between teachers and students are dangerous and rare, but I could see a close friendship/emotional bond. How would Kayla react to watching Jack light up whenever he's with Ms. Karlow, talking theater? I get that from ym wife - "You should see the look on your face!"

I contend that Kayla's dad fapping over Tara is much more probable than student/teacher sex. Chester's a red blooded man, Tara's a hot teen, and she's hanging around the house once in awhile. He gets on the computer, checks out her Facebook, her Instagram and Twitter...then some time later Mrs. Hanigan finds some dry crusty Kleenexes in the trash can next to the desk...and the folder of pics on the usb drive

Edited by Joe Long

Most of my teachers were pretty friendly. In my second last year we had the most laid back English teacher. Always kept us up to date on what was going on in his life, we even helped him through a breakup. Then he lost his job and had to go to a different school but when one of us see him around town he always stops and chats to find out how were all getting on and lets us know how his cat is.

One noteworthy aspect of the chapter was Jack telling Kayla his thoughts about the prostitution ring. She then asks, "You're not thinking about doing any Sherlock Holmes investigation or anything, are you?" Well, of course he is! After all, this is Jack we're talking about. He can't help himself but to investigate. So Jack will soon become a thorn in the side of certain people who, in turn, will do something extreme about it. The possibilities are:

a) pipe bomb

b) Chinese water torture

c) threats or harm to family and friends

d) being framed or set up with an embarrassing situation

I think (d) is the most likely scenario but it may escalate from there. Also-- if the ring has indeed recruited Belle, they will use her against Jack.

One noteworthy aspect of the chapter was Jack telling Kayla his thoughts about the prostitution ring. She then asks, "You're not thinking about doing any Sherlock Holmes investigation or anything, are you?" Well, of course he is! After all, this is Jack we're talking about. He can't help himself but to investigate. So Jack will soon become a thorn in the side of certain people who, in turn, will do something extreme about it. The possibilities are:

a) pipe bomb

b) Chinese water torture

c) threats or harm to family and friends

d) being framed or set up with an embarrassing situation

I think (d) is the most likely scenario but it may escalate from there. Also-- if the ring has indeed recruited Belle, they will use her against Jack.

I'm hoping for (b). I'll elaborate later

Did this page freeze up or were not commenting on here lol

I think we're all just waiting on Joe. One thing I'm curious about is what's really going on with Paul and Rhona. She was a little vague in talking to Jack so probably she wasn't telling him everything. Rhona seemed a little too upset at Paul if he just wanted to date her again. He's either being a world-class dick about it or they were arguing for another reason.

Hey guys! Sorry for the late update, I had to go out of town for a couple of days. But I'm back and ready to get the Reality Check going:

- My wife and I never had the discussion Jack and Kayla have at the beginning of the chapter but it's one that we discussed at length to figure out how we would react should anything like that ever happen. We also had to subtract a couple of years of marriage to understand mental state and everything but we both figured that's how we would have reacted.

- Jack's questions to Rhona about whether she would ditch guys for girls is one I really asked and one I really took a swipe for.

- There was a surprising number of guys who gave promise rings to their girlfriends when I was in high school. Some of them worked, some of them didn't (not going to name the specific example Craig is based on for fear of spoilers), but it was something I was always fascinated by.

- Binyam and Shannon's real-life counterparts really did end up getting together after Christmas Break the year I met them.

- Jack's awkward conversation with Joe is actually based off a really awkward conversation I had with an ex-girlfriend. We'd kind of avoided each other since the break-up (she'd dumped me for no reason that I've ever been able to figure out) and my attempt to rebuild the friendship was just as stilted and awkward as Joe and Jack.

- Mrs. Karlow's real-life counterpart didn't replace Ms. Locke's real-life counterpart; rather, she was more what Ms. Locke's real-life counterpart gradually became while I was in high school. And, before you start getting any ideas, she is not Ms. Locke in disguise.

Again, sorry about the wait. I'm moving ahead on the next chapter and it's coming along well so hopefully I should have that out soon. Hope everyone's doing well and I'll update you as soon as I can :)

I'm not sure about in the states but over here it is mandatory, but only an hour a week that you don't get a qualification out of, you chose I you want to actually study the subject

I'm not sure about in the states but over here it is mandatory, but only an hour a week that you don't get a qualification out of, you chose I you want to actually study the subject

sorry this is my first time on the forum. As far as California's concerned high school PE is only required for freshman and sophomore years, after that and you have to go out of your way to take a weight lifting class or something similar

As far as California's concerned high school PE is only required for freshman and sophomore years, after that and you have to go out of your way to take a weight lifting class or something similar

About what I expected-- you either get on a school sports team or you're pretty much on your own. That's really too bad. Ours was mandatory and even if you were on a team you were excused only for the season. My favourite Phys Ed class was Senior year. It was the only one that was co-ed at the time. The ladies had it all over the guys when it came to racquet sports and volleyball-- it must be in their genes. If it hadn't been for archery and track I would have been totally humiliated.

About what I expected-- you either get on a school sports team or you're pretty much on your own. That's really too bad. Ours was mandatory and even if you were on a team you were excused only for the season. My favourite Phys Ed class was Senior year. It was the only one that was co-ed at the time. The ladies had it all over the guys when it came to racquet sports and volleyball-- it must be in their genes. If it hadn't been for archery and track I would have been totally humiliated.

They passed Title IX when I was in high school, and our school interpreted it to mean that we couldn't be separate any more, and thus had us do coed gym classes. The only time any of use got to play soccer was in gym class, and we learned that if you hit someone upper arm to upper arm when they weren't looking you could send them flying. Someone did that to one of the girls and she broke her arm. We didn't have coed soccer anymore.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.