Click Here!

LGBT in comics?

ChrisCross

So I was perusing youtube, and came across a fabulous vlog called Geeking Out, about LGBT concerns in various geeky mediums. 'Round about number 7, they discussed comics and brought up something I hadn't noticed before. DC, although they write lesbian characters, has a hard time creating main male characters that are gay (I knew that but it never pinged the way it did watching the vlog), and Marvel, although home to many gay men, doesn't do so well in the fem slash department. Neither of the bigs really looks too hard at trans issues either. So I thought to myself "Hey, Fanfic authors don't have that problem. We may have plenty of problems regarding spelling, punctuation, story structure, etc. but we don't have a problem writing LGBT characters."

So the purpose of this thread is to recommend good fanfic portrayals of LGBT characters in the comic fandoms (DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, indies, whatever). They can be cannon representations or not, but they have to be things you'd recommend to a friend.

• 2 months later...

Well, I'll be honest and say I read this because the word "comics" was in the title. :-) But seriously, I'm not sure where to go with this idea as far as the recommendations go. Would recommending characters to pick from be a good place to start? The only characters I know that are LGBT from the Big Two are Obsidian, Batwoman ( and Detective Montoya ), and that guy from the Authority.

Carolina (Lucy in the Sky) from the Runaways, and Northstar of the X-men are both out. Northstar even got married, and Carolina is in a relationship with a Skrull, whose gender is sort of fluid. I'm just more familiar with Marvel, but I'd heard Batwoman was lesbian now.

Oh god, that's horrible. Funny, but horrible. The sad thing is I can sort of imagine what that fic would be, and it's like a train wreck. Cannot un imagine.