Click Here!

Copying your own work

Guest clairavance

Guest clairavance

Hi there,

I checked out the forum and the plagiarism board caught my attention.

I'm just curious what process you follow to discern whether a work of fiction posted here is a copy of someone else's work from FF.net.

I'm personally not worried about any of my work being reported as a copy since my username both here and on FFN are the same.

But I was wondering, in the case that two different usernames from two different sites post the same story, do you contact the author who has supposedly been copied?

I'm asking, both because I used to go by different aliases on the net, and because I have this ridiculous phobia that someone is going to copy my work and present it as their own. I've had numerous 'copies' sprout up on FFN with writers using the same narratives, similar characters and similar scenes as the ones I've put out there, and it makes me incredibly nervous (flattered, but it's no good for my anxiety).

We always contact the author whose work may have been plagiarized to see if they are indeed simply posting here under a different name. We're very aware that people post on different sites under different pen names, particularly when it comes to posting on a site like ours that has adult content.

We do investigate fully before we make a determination that plagiarism exists. If the author of the story we think was plagiarized does confirm that they are the author here, only writing under a different pen name, we note that in our records. We will advise anyone who contacts us that the story is not stolen.

Conversely, if the author advises us that they did not publish their story here under any pen name, we remove the stolen work and the plagiarist.

Same narratives, similar characters and similar scenes are sometimes to be expected when working within a fandom. However, if the content is unique to the original author, we would deem that to be plagiarism if we encountered it in a story published later by another author. If you have a specific concern, you can always email us at tos_team@adult-fanfiction.org with the details.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.