Click Here!

Does Anyone Else Love Ferrets?

DarkInuLord

I love ferrets, even though I got a really nasty bite from one once and bled all over the place. I always wanted to get one as a companion for my cats, but the people I've roomed with have always hated them :P

Ferrets are cool. I used to have two of them once, one named "Doc" and one named "Marty" they were the cutest and most hilarious critters. Sadly they died from common ferret diseases. :( (One was around 5 years old, and Doc passed on when he was 6.)

I used to love to watch them wrestle, they would "tow" each other around by the scruff of the neck and then hop around and "dook, dook, dook" in delight. (dooking is the noise ferrets make).

The scent is the big thing with ferrets. All the ones you buy are always altered and descented, BUT, they still have a very strong "musky" smell...(Ferrets are in the same family as Skunks..Mustela) They are like waterbeds...Either you REALLY love them, or you don't.

They are hard to take care of, and not all of them litter train easily. (they are also carnivores, NOT rodents) so require the same vaccines as cats/kittens. Unfortunately domestic ferrets are very susceptible to adrenal tumors and tumors of the pancreas and this is what usually kills them. :( Most states require them to have rabies vaccines the same as cats or dogs, but they have to have a special vaccine.

Unaltered females will literally die if they are not bred, so they can be a tricky pet to take care of and not for the "beginner" (Cats are actually easier to take care of). And many ferrets perish from lack of proper care. (I used to work ferret rescue).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.