Click Here!

Foreign Accents

Kanashii

Guest MortiferLascivio

I think the American accent is cool, not boring. I have a German accent so I can tell the difference. I just think most Americans "hate" the American accent because they can't actually tell what it sounds like. As for everyone else...well that's just their personal opinion.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the American accent is cool, not boring. I have a German accent so I can tell the difference. I just think most Americans "hate" the American accent because they can't actually tell what it sounds like. As for everyone else...well that's just their personal opinion.

I think another thing to consider is that America itself is made up of places that have their own accent - you've got Boston, Jersey, Brooklyn, NY, the South, and the Dakotas - so right there it's sometimes hard for even those of us from the states to really understand how it's possible for "American" to be considered an accent when some of us sound so different from one another - now matter how long some of our families have been here for

I think another thing to consider is that America itself is made up of places that have their own accent - you've got Boston, Jersey, Brooklyn, NY, the South, and the Dakotas - so right there it's sometimes hard for even those of us from the states to really understand how it's possible for "American" to be considered an accent when some of us sound so different from one another - now matter how long some of our families have been here for

Yeah, the thing for me is like... Okay, I call accents from different parts of America, different things...

Southern accents, New York accents, and a lot of places in California seem to have accents (From when I visited), as well as a lot of states having their own accent. I mean, Oregon probably has one but I'm just not aware of it, since I've lived here my entire life.

Hell, when I go to my grandmother's house, even they have accents. My great grandmother, before she died, had a really heavy Italian accent, since her and my great grandfather moved to America from Italy. My grandmother has somewhat of an Italian accent, but my mother doesn't have one at all.

I guess really, the only people I know who love their own accent is British people. >> Honestly, I have a few British friends and they've actually said "Yeah, (Insert north, south, east, or west here) England accents suck, but the accent from where I'm from is the best." We argued for hours.

Guest lilpsychoticpriestess

If I had to choose it would have to be Irish and Scottish accents. There is something about them I could easy be swept off my feet. Unfortunately I live in America and the state I live in no one interesting visits. Sadly all you see is cows, corn and now snow yeah who would want to visits that.

I guess really, the only people I know who love their own accent is British people. >> Honestly, I have a few British friends and they've actually said "Yeah, (Insert north, south, east, or west here) England accents suck, but the accent from where I'm from is the best." We argued for hours.

My fiance isn't British and he always said his accent was awesome. I agreed though.

Does someone actually liking the way they talk and where they're from bother you that much? Seems silly to me.

Does someone actually liking the way they talk and where they're from bother you that much? Seems silly to me.

Funny you should mention that. My northerner bf has a huge thing, he's said, for Southern accents and as far as I know I don't have one, at least I don't hear it when I speak - but according to him I have at least a slight one. Honestly it does kind of bother me a slight bit just because I have that nagging voice in the back of my mind wondering what happens if he comes down here one day and hears the real Southern accents - other than that though if that was the only thing a guy liked about me, how I speak, yeah that would drive me insane

Haha, I've had girlfriends who say something like "Oh my god he's so hot, and his accent :: Dreamy sigh ::" and I'm like. "... He's missing two teeth, he has a unibrow, and he's starting to get a beer belly." So yes, some girls do go for guys purely for accents, which is extremely dumb.

I like Italian accents still, though. :3 They're awesome.

Guest MortiferLascivio

I'm currently trying to force my German accent back so I can speak like all the other Californians around here.

And I guess a lot of people like different accents because they find their own so boring, but if they had those accents they liked they'd probably find them boring then too. It's just trying to find something new and exciting. I know a lot of people who think I'm nuts for trying to change the way I talk from German to boring American but to me it's boring German to cool California :rolleyes:

Ah now you are getting into regional dialects and regional slang...That's why when I started the thread I just listed "Country" and said not dialects. Every country has dialects, and the older ones some of the worst. Just like there is "Proper" or formal language for each language, the dialects and regional differences and make even natives of that country confused! (Take Sicilian for example. True Sicilian can hardly be understood by Italians from the North or even mid regions). Here in America we might just pronounce a word differently (Bostonians dragging the Aaaa out in the Paaaak the caaar) or southern's with a distinct twang, etc.

But in like Italy, the Sardinian's and southern regions (Naples, Calabria, etc) have very old and complex dialects that can be near impossible to understand. This is true also in some of the Eastern European block countries, (Georgia, Romania, Czech, etc). And don't even get started on the Oriental languages...There are so many regional dialects even within the same country it can be nigh impossible for a Korean to understand a Vietnamese, etc.

It would be like here in America if one person said "I parked the car" and someone else from another state said "Car, stop, move, stand." or worse, it was just gibberish to you, with no discernable words.

So English speakers have it really easy. (Old Gaelic and Celtic sound nothing like "Proper Queens English" or "Formal American English")

So yeah, just comparing regional dialects is like comparing apples and oranges. That is why I just said "country" in general.

Oh, and as far as "hating" an accent. Hate is such a very strong word, filled with alot of misunderstanding and closemindedness. I can see someone not "understanding" an accent or even not finding it pleasing, but to just tell someone you don't know... "I HATE the way all people of your country sound" is just rude.

Also I have never found someone (male or female) who has just run off with someone because they think an accent sounds 'dreamy'. But then again, as I often point out, I am probably older than 98% of you, so all my teen/young adult ::::squeeing:::: was done long ago and I grew out of it.

Warmly,

Haha, I've had girlfriends who say something like "Oh my god he's so hot, and his accent :: Dreamy sigh ::" and I'm like. "... He's missing two teeth, he has a unibrow, and he's starting to get a beer belly." So yes, some girls do go for guys purely for accents, which is extremely dumb.

Oh I know that's right. Sounds like an ex-friend of mine - and yes someone with a "foreign" accent is why we're no longer friends. But he did know that was a big part of why she liked him, if not the only reason, and he even joked about rendering her deaf just before he took her to Scotland with him... they broke up later that week

Guest Rosemarius
I'm mostly Italian. >.> That would be an awesome accent to have.

but...which Italian accent? :hug: Calabrese?Bolognese?Romano?Siciliano?Milanese? (ecc ecc)

It differs a lot in every region :)

but...which Italian accent? :) Calabrese?Bolognese?Romano?Siciliano?Milanese? (ecc ecc)

It differs a lot in every region :D

The one I bolded. >> That's where my great grandmother was from, so I assume that was where the accent was from.

Meh, at least I'm good at cooking Italian food. xD Don't have the accent, but I got the talent. :hug:

If American is an accent it's an utterly boring one >_>

I couldn't agree more. Even my own voice grates on my ears even though everyone says I sound like a sex kitten on the phone.

I like Irish and Scottish accents. Southern accents are good on women. I hate deep Ebonic accents though. I mean, light to moderate Ebonics are okay, maybe even a little cute, but when you grew up in America and I can't understand what you are saying then I have a problem with you answering my emergency road service assistance call.

It is quite possible that I could fall in love with a man just because he has a British or Australian accent. I mean, anytime I meet a reasonably good looking guy with either of those accents, I just barely stop myself from going up to him and asking, "Would you please do my the honor of letting me suck your cock?" Okay, I was just kidding, I lied, he wouldn't have to be good looking.

And while we're at it, women with Spanish or Italian accents make me go all lesbian for some reason.

And to all you guys that hate girls like me, well I'm sorry 'cause I can't help it. I think it has something to do with my ears being kind of sensitive. It doesn't matter who you are, if you whisper in my ear it immediately makes me feel like I want to screw. I think it must be a medical condition or something.

I think it's sad that Revy's English accent really sucks, but I like it. xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWNx4p6FVRA <- Video of it.

Every single anime I've seen where they have an "American" (or Canadian or Englishman or whatever) for a character can't speak English. I'm just like, fuck, you could hire me.

Every single anime I've seen where they have an "American" (or Canadian or Englishman or whatever) for a character can't speak English. I'm just like, fuck, you could hire me.

Well, Revy is actually Chinese/American, and she's in Japan, so she's speaking English there, since she can't speak Japanese... Or something, I'm a little confused since I swear the anime is IN Japanese, yet....... ANYWAYS..... :: Cough ::

Guest Rosemarius

The anime thing is really true!

But strangely enough I seem to understand when a stranger speaks in English more than the people who have it as a first language so I can pretty much always tell what they're saying. Unless they talk really fastly.

• 2 weeks later...

What aboot dem uppers, der eh? Doncha jus' dink they've gotta craaaaazy sexy accent, eh?

I don't think I've heard enough foreign-country accents in real life (aka, not movies or tv shows) to really have any opinion on "sexy accents." Sure, any accent can sound sexy with sexy, scripted words, but I want to hear just a normal conversation in that accent before I deem it "sexy." The only ones I know are the freaky Wisconsin dialects and people from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

I also scare my friends with this awful British accent-imitation thing I periodically do.

What aboot dem uppers, der eh? Doncha jus' dink they've gotta craaaaazy sexy accent, eh?

I don't think I've heard enough foreign-country accents in real life (aka, not movies or tv shows) to really have any opinion on "sexy accents." Sure, any accent can sound sexy with sexy, scripted words, but I want to hear just a normal conversation in that accent before I deem it "sexy." The only ones I know are the freaky Wisconsin dialects and people from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

I also scare my friends with this awful British accent-imitation thing I periodically do.

*laughs* I know what you mean. But I HAVE heard those accents in real life and fuck are they hott.

I live in a college town, so I've heard a variety of accents. I was talking to a trio of French boys at work once and I think I may have fallen in love with them by the end of the conversation (I supposed it helped that they weren't too unfortunate looking :rolleyes: ). Also, there's something about the guys from Brazil...

Edit: I totally forgot...my absolute favorite accent is a Southern one -well, certain Southern ones. Georgia, Northern Kentucky, and South Carolina are the best B)

Oh, it's so bad, but European accents really attract me. British is good (any kind of British, really, I'm not particular), French, Italian, Spanish... There was a boy who I knew in college from Lichenstein who would ask to borrow pens and his voice would always send a shiver up my spine. Closer to home, though, there are certain southern accents (echoing cu-kid9) that are really kind of hot, as I realized while watching 'She's the Man' with Channing Tatum (please... no judgement... it really was a funny/cute movie, for a teenf lick). Sigh. Accents are really very, very good.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.