Click Here!

Unresolved Sexual Tension

Velvet D Coolette

I'm thinking about the longer-term plots for some of my characters. I have one in particular, who is a male virgin approx. 16 years, and who is generally seen as a waste of space by his peers.

I'm wondering whether, if I planned the plot for him so that he has several attempts at losing his virginity which all go wrong, would this be titillating to readers?

If it is written really good, I think people will be interested in reading how he goes about his way of losing his viriginity.

Beth

I think UST works very well on many different levels.

It's probably the best development tool for any story that contains smut and/or romance.

One one side, it gives you room to develop your plot, your characters and their relationships over a long period of time. The readers get to know your characters as actual individuals.

On the other side, every fizzled encounter frustrates the reader more and makes them all the more eager.

In the middle, you end up with an audience who feel a deeper sense of satisfaction when the culminating act finally occurs.

Mind you, UST works better with longer fics. It doesn't work that well with one-shots or PWPs. Not unless the writer is very talented, skilled, and experienced.

UST is a nice to as eveknight has said, but be sure to watch out for its potentially story crashing affects after its resolved. If a story revolves around the said UST be sure not to have them "resolve" until the end.

• 5 weeks later...

It all depends on the readers. If they want to read a story or just read plain SMUT, it depends on how you go about it as well. I like to tease.... >.> But thats just me. If your patient, I will reward you. X3;

No! Take my house, my coat, my shoes, my wallet, my children, anything just give it to me!
O.O!

>_>;

<_<;

Uhm... okay... ^^;

But I need to get to know you first before I "Give it" to you... XP;

But really, I take your point. I certainly intend to make a story of it, just... a racy one.
I see, well whatever you decide on how you do it, good luck with your story. ^^ I will be interested to read it.

I would be careful with the Unresolved Sexual Tension thing, though. There was a series I used to be interested in that had the same exact thing between the two main characters, but the story and tension just dragged on...

...and on...

...and on...

...and on.

I just felt like there was no development between the two characters as the story went on, and when it seemed like there was, a new chapter or episode would have everything back to the way it originally was--no emotional development within the characters' relationship. Not to mention the series was overflowing with poorly-written angst. I eventually got fed up with the series and I no longer follow it.

So my advice to you is that, when using UST, just remember to use it tastefully, and that the experiences this boy has will affect him as time goes on. It sounds like your story has the potential to be very funny, but don't drag it out "just because its a good thing." Otherwise you'll bore your readers.

I would be careful with the Unresolved Sexual Tension thing, though. There was a series I used to be interested in that had the same exact thing between the two main characters, but the story and tension just dragged on...

...and on...

...and on...

...and on.

I just felt like there was no development between the two characters as the story went on, and when it seemed like there was, a new chapter or episode would have everything back to the way it originally was--no emotional development within the characters' relationship. Not to mention the series was overflowing with poorly-written angst. I eventually got fed up with the series and I no longer follow it.

So my advice to you is that, when using UST, just remember to use it tastefully, and that the experiences this boy has will affect him as time goes on. It sounds like your story has the potential to be very funny, but don't drag it out "just because its a good thing." Otherwise you'll bore your readers.

Yeah, agreed. My story has UST but it is done tastefully and will end up into... something... >.>; eventually... XP; I know what you mean though about it going on and on and on... >.< Get's kind of annoying and tedious neh.

I agree with what Juno wrote. It should be tastefully done or it becomes a cheap plot device to encourage readers to stay with the fanfic.

I think it can be sexy in the right context. The characters have been denied the chance to be together and that can make them realize exactly how determined they are to see it through to the end, not to mention how strongly they feel about each other. Is your character going to be experiencing UST after unfulfilled attempts with a series of partners or the same woman? If he's going to be trying with a series of women, that could either lead to humor or angst, depending on which you're aiming for. If he's continually trying with the same girl and things seemingly aren't working out but they still remain together, you'd have a lot of opportunity to show what else draws them together besides the desire to have sex.

In one of my FF.N fics, I used what I guess you can call UST. My inexperienced couple felt immediate attraction, but they were interrupted while fooling around. Being busted was so traumatic that they were afraid to get close again, and in the weeks following, they truly fell in love and were no longer acting on lust alone by the time they did the deed.