Click Here!

Control Panel Link Suggestion

BlackMaiden

Hello all,

I was recently looking through my control panel applications and thought seen that their is link for recommended reading and currently reading, but none relate to what someone may be reading outside the site. I think that these areas should be updated by putting an 'or' section just under the current forms, giving one the opportunity to state a favorite book, story, author etc., from outside the site. Basically having two forms, one stating info on site authors (which already exist) as well as a second form on material outside the site.

I also thought about adding a 'new' link. One that would tell the authors that they have new reviews or whatnot. This could be added just under the promps where an user can edit their stories. It could also be a small 'new'list or a number symbol, next to the review link or beside the ratings link on the story pages.

!lso, i was thinking that live journal communities should be added right under the live journals link, and perhaps a link stating 'other' in the social media page. Or have a 'more' or 'add' link on all the pages that would make a small pop up screen to appear or redirect u to a different page, giving u a http:// box and a scroll down box to say where u want it located. Or to make it easy, a link can be placed on the control panel, saying 'other links' and this would be all other links not listed before.

Just a few ideas. Other suggestion are welcome. Any ideas guys? Ive responded to my pm ideas and story following ideas (you may view my responses in those threads or from my profile). So ideas are welcome, if you thi nk im missing something. Thx for your patience.

Darkest Regards,

BlackMaiden

Thank you for your suggestions - They are always appreciated. Please understand that there are many limitations in the current coding and while we are working to bring the site into 2012, it is a long process.

We do have to be careful about what links we openly support due to how the site is supported. Our advertisers are small sites that generally don't have a ton of money for advertising but because their content relates well with the site have found success here and I do not want to distract from that, which is why in stories we do not allow advertising of any kind. Social media is a necessity for a way to communicate with fans, while recommended reading helps promote with in the site, same as currently reading which also allows the author to track stories they currently are reading on the archive since an update function is not possible at this time.

As for the review aspect - Users are notified by email when they have a new review. Since the user visible setting for this option doesn't translate until we complete the code rewrite, we have manually enabled it for all authors and only turn it off on request. This is an extremely important reason for emails to be valid.

Please don't hesitate to offer up further suggestions in the future, but please also understand that there are limits, despite all we would love to be able to do for our users!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for bearing taking the consideration of giving feedback on user ideas. And for this, i first want to say the new webssite looks amazing and i appreciate the clean up crews everywhere. I also want to say, that as a web developer and graphic designer, i totally understand how codex can pkay in making the site more mangeable, but also make it load slower, take up more space than budget and can cut back on advertising (main ssource of funding). So, without further ado, i came up with a few ideas that i hope u find useful, and if so, perhaps i can conjure upr some more ideas.

First, i wanted to adress the space and memory usage. If ive learned anything on the site (which may not be that much :). )ive taken a notice to codex. The site uses basic and advance html codexing in order to compell so much in one sight. I also have learned advance graphics were saved for advertising, which is very important. My solution is the CSS codex. Im sure u guys know what it is, but ill explain to those who dont. CSS is the text message of computer language, like lol, for laugh out loud. It cuts down on usage of memory, but allows all prompt related to html.

I learned it through vampirefreaks. Many years ago i ran into this site that is for alternate lifestyle, but boasted better linkage through different codex, graphic, userbilaty and the like than even myspace. When i later studied codex, i learned other codexes that worked just as good as html, without using up space. Perhaps u can check out the site to get a feel of it. Its free but u can pay for more advance usages, however those are just visual or personal gain, nnot relativity. The creator is jet, perhaps u can get some pointers, and the many other internet savy people, and if u like the style, then work with the techies to make something similar good for ur site. If u dont like, still u might gain something useful or atleast some advertising.

I wanted to share that, because i know how hard codex is on a site thats free. So i hope it helps, and if u need some digging done on codex and usage, i can send some examples. Hell, if u can make the site u want, spend less money, and make it more advanced in an ever growing internet, then by all means. I hope this helps. Good luck

Darkest Regards,

BlackMaiden

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.