Click Here!

Beginning of forum restructure

DemonGoddess

Okay, as everyone has seen, there's already one new main category. There will quite likely be one or two others besides, before I'm through. In one for instance I'm thinking of, at least one of the forums will end up actually being its own category.

Much of this, as I said, I can actually do before the software is even upgraded. Which is what this part is.

I'm also in the process of working up some selectable skins for the upgraded version.Some of the skins I have in mind for future I'm not even going to get into uploading for this forum. This forum's version is incompatible to later versions for skinning. (For those who don't know, skins are what you see when you are here, the cosmetics).

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. I posted an entry and edited it a few hours later. It shows:

This post has been edited by madlodger on November 10, 2007 05:12 am

on the bottom of my entry now.

I clearly remember turning this function off in the first month of using this forum. Now it's back and I can't find controls to change that. Is this a part of Forum Reordering or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: V

Edited by madlodger

I probably tuirned that option back on when I changed the setting to allow people to immediately edit their profiles. (habit, other boards generally have that set). Not a problem I'll check and turn it off if I did that.

No, it's NOT part of the reordering. That's a STRUCTURE thing. What is ultimately going to occur here, is that the fanfiction category, for example, is going to MIRROR the archive main categories. While I won't be branching off to the sub sub levels the archive will ultimately end up with here in forum, it will still be a large change in how things appear in future, as compared to how they appear now. The primary reason for doing this is for optimizing how the software accesses and uses the hardware framework the site itself works from. By making it so the software module (in this case, the forum) does that more efficiently, it also will make the board itself work faster altogether. Plus by doing all these maintenance type things now (this is only one of them), it makes it so that when the software itself is uprgraded, the downtime is greatly reduced.

Then there's an incompatibility issue between php 3 and php 4. I have a forum specific fix I'm actually testing offsite before I even think about implementing it here. I want to be sure the thing works before I do it. That should correct the html code insert for a space (if you forward a message, the person who recieves it will get it like that, improperly parsed), and a bunch of other oddball things that keep occurring. But that's actually for another post, when I do it. wink.gif

Thank you. I would really appreciate it turned off as the thing is a bit annoying smile.gif

Sorry about distracting you from work. Seems like there is a lot to get done. There are so many categories in the Central Index, not even counting Anime Archives.

hehe no prob. not a distraction actually. I already readjusted that setting for you. Sorry about that.

It's the Central Index that will be mirrored here in forum. Yeah, there's a bit of work to do, but how it'll make the board perform in the end makes it well worth it. You will actually be seeing those structure changes here in forum first, oddly enough. So, once it's done here, if you don't actually see it in the archive yet, it will be happening in the not to distant future. wink.gif

Thank you!

Yep, I imagined that categories in the Fan Fiction Forum would look exactly like AFF Central Index, although wasn't sure if Main Anime Archives would be a single entry with subforums or not. I mean, it's 22 total if it doesn't.

yes, there will be subforums to the main anime entry. Thinking about a way to make it a bit more navigable as well, so there will likely be an additional level of nesting so I can limit subforums to say, maybe six anime/manga titles per initial subforum to Anime. This is very likely the most difficult one to set in a manner that'll make sense, while at the same time not giving you a forum category with a bizillion subforum choices all at once. That defeats the purpose. blink.gif

Making it as simple as possible really is a good idea. I'll be happy for as long as the Fan Fiction Forum fits into the single screen without scrolling up and down, hehe.

It truly is an excellent idea to make the forums mirror the site archives, I'm sure once the inevitable flood of members comes over from main they will have a much easier time assimilating themselves and getting used to the forums this way.

I am truly impressed and amazed at how quickly things are looking as good as they are around here.

Great job techies!

biggrin.gif

Bear with me on the unbelievably LOOOONG category for Fan Fiction. That will be a temporary problem, as once this whole thing is upgraded, you, the user, have the option of COLLAPSING all categories so the forum displays the same way every time you visit. Then, if you want to go into the collapsed category, simply click the title as it acts as a link as well. That'll take you to the forum category(ies) listing, without having to have that thing to be the first thing to hit you in the face when you get here. wink.gif

Unfortunately, this version of the software does not support collapsing categories. angry.gif Nor does it TRULY support unlimited subforums, even with the modification (the mod actually limits your nesting ability to a degree)

Further subdividing of the Fanfiction category itself will occur AFTER the upgrade, to its final format.

It'll end up looking something like this:

Fanfiction (main category)

--Searching for a Fic? (posting forum)

--Fanfiction - All Anime (forum category)

--Fanfiction - World Specific (forum catgory)

--Fanfiction - Non English (forum category_

--Fanfiction - All Other Archive Categories

Then, below those additional forum categories, you'll find the specific categories which mirror the archive.

But the cartoons/comics sections aren't at anywhere right now... unsure.gif

Not that I can see. But I think Ann Coulter is kind of pretty when her mouth is shut so maybe I'm not got the best eyesight.

No, you're not seeing things. Only thing I can think of that happened is when I ran some maintenance to repair/optimize, something unexpected may have happened. I hope not. I don't actually DO anything to a pre-existing forum in that section until the revised structure is set up. Hadn't even gotten to Comics yet.

Yes. It's certainly easy enough to move the topics. Although I should have it back up here very shortly. Found out what exactly happened too, but no fixing it dammit. Apparently, when the outside db util was run on the forum db, it must not have been done in quite awhile. What happens then, is that sometimes, a record is actually a bit garbled, and the utility will repair the field by deleting it. The only way to avoid that is to run the utility on a regularly scheduled basis, which has been set up. I'd run into this before years ago with this software, and had set up a cron to handle it then. In any case, that's been handled so it should not reoccur.

I haven't quite gotten as far in the archive restructure as the comics subdomain yet. Have been kicking around a few thought as to how to start those categories for it, and of course, the forum itself will reflect that.

Ooh! Are we missing Cartoons under the 'All Other Archive' Categories ?

Some users may need somewhere to quietly fantasise about Gadget. Some users. ph34r.gif

Edit: ...and movies?