Click Here!

That's the Radar. Yup, That's Us There.

Guest Serenanna

Guest Serenanna

Remember how back in the Wiki or not to Wiki discussion I pointed out that fanfiction is becoming more mainstream than ever? Well, guess what?

We got mentioned in Time. Yes, that's us. Adultfanfiction.net.

The third most popular fan fiction search term is for adult content. Of the 40,491 sites in our Adult category, the site with the highest percentage of female visitors (64.3%) is AdultFanfiction.net (proceed at your own risk).

Anyone wanna panic now? Do I get to say I told you so?

Sere

dunno if we should be surprised or not. i mean, it was inevitable, wasn't it? look at what happened after the site got a write up in a mag a few years ago, back when Ayla still owned it. BOOM! member and visitor explosion.

we've been growing through the years. and since we're one of the biggest sites for adult content in any archive or fandom, i think it would have been more surprising if we didn't end up mentioned in some kind of article like that. especially now that the Harry Potter series is done. and, let's be honest. HP is one of our biggest fandoms.

so, really. its no surprise. it only means we'll have to be that much more vigilant.

Wow... I mean... wow. Time... wow.

Now that that's done, I don't exactly feel like scattering either... not exactly. I do feel a little uneasy about it. I don't nessasarily want to be mainstream, but I have a feeling fanfic could be a fad for a lot of people. And in that case, let them get it out of their system. I'll still be here when it's all said and done.

Well you know if you type fan fiction into Google were not exactly on the bottom of the list. We couldn't have ever had the illusion that fan fiction would go entirely ignored forever could we?

Still I doubt there's anything to worry about because of this little article. Seriously, getting mentioned in passing in a time article isn't exactly a media blitz.

This page examines the traffic generated by the site. That's where the figure comes from.

Even then, it's not a very accurate study because it only covers traffic generated within the United States.

I'm not surprised that the site eventually ended up being mentioned in Time. Ever since fanfiction started attracting large numbers of people on the internet, many print-news sources have been publishing articles about fanfiction. It only makes sense that the largest and most well-known sites would be mentioned, this one included.

I'm not too worried about the fact that the site's getting mentioned in articles, as long as it's neutral.

What I'm worried about is that someday, some source such as the Times newspapers or Time magazine will publish a negative article and mention the site. When that happens, someone in the government will take notice and try to shut the site down.

I remember when Fanfiction.net was reviewed on Attack of the Show about 3 or so years ago... the site crashed within an hour because of sudden traffic ph34r.gif

*starts digging a bomb shelter*

Pretty cool. Being mentioned in Time is a dream for so many businesses, because it's a highly respected publication. And AFF got there not even trying. I like the neutral tone of the article and the fact that it was posted in Business and Tech, not Entartainment.

The article mentioned The Siege of Thebes from 1421, which validates fan fiction even more. Times when non-mainstream things become more acceptable are accompanied by words like "phenomenon" and historical findings of proof that the "phenomenon" has existed for ages. I wonder why they didn't mention the Bible as the oldest known fanfiction... I'm kidding, hehe!

I did wonder about the same thing as Ninja, the link posted by Eve sure explained a lot. Makes me wonder what info my ISP is willing to share with "affiliates" and what happens to on-line applications and surveys.

According to quantcast, I belong firmly to addicts minority responsible for majority of visits.

clap.gif

I wonder if traffic to the site increased any since the article was posted (Thursday, Aug. 30, 2007). We didn't crash yet smile.gif