Click Here!

Doctors Refuse Care based on Ethics

Guest Adara

Guest Adara

Story here

I knew that stuff like this went down in Christian led hospitals. I was told once that if a situation ever happened where I would need a morning after pill, I would not get it in a Religious Hospital.

blink.gif What about the patient's right to hold different beliefs than the doctor?

What really upsets me about that is that the doctor doesn't have to refer the patient or even tell them all their options! That's just irresponsible... and in my belief disgusting! Fine, you don't agree with it... send the patient to someone who will do whatever it is you don't like.

This is just peachy! I work in the medical profession and I've never been told about this one. I would never refuse treatment to anyone based on my beliefs (not that I help to treat patients any more - but I did at one point). Now I have a whole new list of questions to ask my doctor - and they border on invasive and prejudicial not to mention against the anti-discrimination laws.

How would these doctors like it if a new patient called to make an appointment and the first question wasn't "when's the next available appointment" but "What religion is he/she?" Per this law that is a viable question, but couldn't the doctors say that he/she was being discriminated against when they started losing patients because of their religion. "I'm sorry - I can't see a Catholic/Baptist/Mormon/ any other religion Doctor - I won't get decent care." Then the doctor files a lawsuit against the person due to religious discrimination. Where're the laws that protect the patients?

Guest Adara

Well, I think it falls under the same ideas that it's every woman's choice to decide if she wants to keep an infant.

To impose Doctors to give treatment they themselves do not approve of, is just as invassive as women being told what to do with their bodies.

I mean, I suppose if we thought about it, it would fall under the same lines as your boss asking you to do something illegal or unethical. We can choose to do something or not.

What's really sad about the whole thing is that this isn't the first time this has happened.

Three years ago in Denton, Texas, a pharmacist refused to fill a prescription for a rape victim based on the same reasoning. Then two years ago, the same thing happened in Florida. Then there was a third incident in Arizona. The fourth one was in Lebanon, PA.

I say if a doctor or pharmacists refuses to give a woman the morning after pill and she becomes pregnant, then the pharmacist/doctor should have to help take care of the kid.

That is just horrible! I know when I go to my doctor I feel kind of awkward talking to her because for some reason she has it stuck her head I need to be pregnant! I'm 20, and my doctor always asks if I could possibly be pregnant. Even if I'm going in for issues about my monthly! I finally told her that if I could be I wouldn't have it and I get funny looks from her (she's pregnant btw) and I feel odd. I mean no one should have to go to the doctor and feel horrible because of something, especially if they've been raped! It's bad enough hearing pregnancy accusations I'm switching to my mom's doctor.

The only problem is no one should have to switch doctor's because they aren't comfortable with the one they have or if they feel they aren't getting all the information they could be given.

No one should have to go through that.