Click Here!

Need advice on writing an outline and re-writting a chapter.

DemonsAngel

So, yeah. As the topic title says, I need some help/advice. I have never written an outline for a story and have no idea how. I think this is part of why I have a hard time finishing a story, after a point, I forget where I was going with something or what I was going to do. So, does anyone know of any websites that can help or can help me with how to do this?

The next thing I need help with is that I found the beginning of an old story I started back in '09. I like the idea of it but it was horribly written and some things need to change. But I am not sure how to go about it. Any idea's for this?

Any help is appreciated! *hugs all*

Edited by Astraea

This is a fairly handy little guide to outlining a story... Fiction Factor

Having linked that, I do outline and then watch my characters ignore my outline and do what they want. That's not necessarily a bad thing, if you can herd them into some semblance of the events you've mapped out. An outline is a guide, not the assembly instructions.

For the old story, edit. Harshly. Go through and mark only those sentences that really shine, and scrap everything else. (Back up the story first, of course, in case you have editor's remorse.) Look at what you have left, and build around those gems. Craft a setting for them.

It takes patience and a great deal of focus to properly edit. Roughing out a story is easy. Polishing it is hard work, and that's where most people give up. Don't quit. :D

Okay, I've been through this with RtG. First off, Bronx is pretty dead center on for this. Edit that mother fucker for all it's worth. Get all of the crap out of it and keep the gems. Second, re-read it to get an idea of where you were going or starting to go and figure out a practical outcome from there. Also, outlines are rather loose guidelines at best. I'd almost just suggest mapping out some high points and letting the character voices figure out the meaty parts of the middle. Lastly, feel free to throw your old plans to the fan and start anew if the other tips do not work. :hug: G'luck!

Edited by Hopebringer Jem