Click Here!

Currently Online

madlodger

Hi, DarkAvenger and tech people smile.gif

I have a suggestion for AFF site. On Section Homepage we have a list of people Currently Online. I like that feature and use it to see if some people are on. However, it is 15 lines of small print in random order (I suppose, the list is made 'in order of appearence', so to speak)

Well, it's very hard to see people, there is no way I will read it ALL; the only ones that can be seen are names of people I clicked on previously.

Would it be possible to change random order to alphabetical? Or have an option of Favorite People List, which would make them permanently visible to an individual user?

Guest DarkAvenger

Honestly, I'm not even sure what exactly the purpose of the currently online feature is. It's not like you can speak with someone on the fiction site or anything and just because they're on there doesn't mean they're updating, so... I guess the purpose is kinda lost on me. It was included in the base Storyline coding and it's just kind of remained.

If more people want this then it will be discussed with the moderators to see if it will be allowed by them and the rest of the tech team to see if it is feasible to code without wasting system resources.

Well, there is a time difference between different countries. Many people IM each other and knowing that they are on checking on the same updates at the same time is pretty convinient.

I sort of wondered if Currently Online was actually showing 100% of people or not. It's never longer than 15 lines, right?

My guess is that Storyline started small, between few people who knew each other. Currently Online would be useful to small groups of people. Now we have hundreds people visiting, so it's a mess. But, if individual friends could be highlited, then the feature would regain it's original purpose.

if it is feasible to code without wasting system resources.

That made me think in a different direction. Because if this feature is using system resources now then it should be removed, as it's not very useful in it's present form. I'd rather had system resources to be used for extra options on stories.

"Hey, are you rubbing one out to the latest?"

Hey, Knorg, you are reffering to a little fluffy puppy, right? Hahaha!

DarkCabaret - Totally agree on that point. smile.gif

Guest DarkAvenger
My guess is that Storyline started small, between few people who knew each other. Currently Online would be useful to small groups of people. Now we have hundreds people visiting, so it's a mess. But, if individual friends could be highlited, then the feature would regain it's original purpose.

I'm not sure how many users the code originally expected to have. I know it was made by a company that has long sense gone under. As for system resources, there's a reason why we require 2 dedicated servers to run efficiently. Can anyone say shitty program? We, the tech team, are working on improving it, but the road is long and full of pain for us. Just looking at the code makes me want to throw up. sick.gif That or cry... crying.gif We have to stick with it though and try to fix the mess it is. Simply changing coding to another program would mean losing a good amount of what's already posted and I'm sure no one wants that, so basically, us techs get to live in hell until we've made the stupid code presentable. *blanches*

I feel your pain. I don't work with programming but know all so well what's it like try to make gold out of crap. Other people's crap, mind, not even mine smile.gif

I suspect that if the entire new code was to be implemented, then ALL stories and ALL reviews would have to be recoded and transferred manually. A group of 100 interns could have it done in a couple of months, LOL

To make you feel better, I like AFF the best out of all sites I go to and am a member of. I've made my home at the Original section. So, you guys are moving in a right direction to make this site compelling to people. I do like the crowd around here smile.gif