Click Here!

Sherrilyn Kenyon

Guest Gaara

Guest Gaara

Sorry to take the conversation away from Laurell K. Hamilton but I wanted to discuss an author whose recent works don't make me cringe. Sherrilyn Kenyon's works are based on Greek Mythology but with a modern day twist. And let's not forget the smut! But it's not pointless smut, it has a purpose. Definately read them if you get a chance. Dark-Hunter novels.

Guest Madapple

I first discovered her books when Talon was released. Can I call him Steve? He looks like a Steve. Those stories had me spellbound From Julian to Vane (OMG, Vane! *pants*) Kyrian though is my favorite. I want a yummy leather guy, too.

She starting losing me with Danger and Alexion. I wasn't involved, or any way invested, in those characters. Although the conversation about the movie Troy was amusingly similar to one I had about the same movie and I found that rather funny.

Anyway, I bought Wren hoping that the previous ^ story was a fluke. I found Wren even more disappointing.

Raven was OK, I found it interesting that she moved the series to Seattle, and even better that she was able to work the Katrina disaster into the plot line.

The last book the Dream-Hunter, I think, was more reminiscent of the earlier books in the series. It had the same humor and some of the intensity.

I think the way she manipulates the mythology is brilliant and not just Greek, but Celtic and Norse, as well. Also, she has, amazingly enough, created, from the fringes of Greek mythology, an elaborate Atlantean pantheon. Other things I find extremely well thought-out are the Omegrion and the WereHunter stories.

I imagine we are getting a healthy dose of cowboy culture when Sundance finally gets his story.

I am disappointed that she is making everyone immortal. I know there is speculation that Ash is building his own immortal army, to perhaps go against the gods. But my gut feeling is that this idea is wrong.

I am worried for Acheron. Not that he'll get pissed off and destroy the eastern seaboard, but that Sherry won't take the time to give his story the depth and attention it deserves.

IMO, she is writing too much. She is swamped by the Hunter World, but also doing a lot of writing under her other name Kinley MacGregor.

I understand that Ash's mate was to appear in Dream-Hunter and that her name had an 'a' in it. That pretty well covered everyone there. I have mixed emotions as to whether she should be human or immortal. I don't really care for Kat and hope she is not Ash's intended. I think it would make a much more interesting story for her to be human and for Ash to return to his human state and for him to have the opportunity of a well-deserved rest.

After eleven thousand years, I think he deserves it.

Guest Gaara

Yes I agree with you on all points. Making everyone immortal is not the way to go it just accentuates the whole happily ever after thing. The Dream Hunter books was pretty good it was definately a change of scene from her regular books. I don't read 'Kinley McGregor. Unfortunately Katra is Ash's intended, Kenyon has made that more than evident. Not the choice I would have picked, but not as bad as it could have been either. What will be interesting to see is how Ash reacts to her. He doesn't know she exists, and we both know there's not a lot of things that Ash doesn't know. I'd also like to see more on Acheron's brother Styx. They mention him in Talon's book, but not again. Ash's story is supposedly going to be two books. One on his history and one on the present.

• 1 month later...
Guest Madapple

Off topic, well slightly.

But when ever I see this pic I think, *pants* Julian, "Mr. Hot Bottom." Let's say it together now: Julian of Macedon, come ease my aching loins.

300c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I think it was announced that Katra was Sin's intended? I think it was on the LJ community. I'd go back and check but I have a strict 'bite me' mentality with LJ at the moment.

I don't think so though. I seem to be the only one that considers this but

POSSIBLE SPOILER:

I'm pretty much thinking that Katra is Acheron's little sister. The one his brother mentioned in Talon's book as having died, and it having been Ash's fault somehow.

END RANDOM MUSING

I'm pretty iffy on her turning everyone immortal too. It doesn't bug me that much tho', not yet. I stopped reading at Wren's book because life got in the way but sooner or later I'll pick them up again.

Dear goodness, that woman does work too much. The only one of her series I like is her Dark Hunter universe but I've read some of the Brotherhood, BAD and Avalon. They're decent... I just prefer DH.

Before I was looking forward to Ash's and Nick's (Savitar, if she decides to do his) books, but to be honest I gotta say I'm rooting for one of the Peltier boys to do something like Wren did. Fall in love with a human who is in some way a danger (or at least, be perceived as a danger by Mama Lo) and see if they finally grow a pair where their mother is concerned. I was all on the Mama Lo love until she started letting bitchiness control her protective urges.*

* I understand that she's a bear and she is v.v protective of her brood as both a mother and an animal but she crossed the line for me in Wren's book. If I recall right she basically down deep hates everyone and just has Sanctuary up so that her family can be protected there. It's been over a year since I read this book and I've tried to since block it, but if she didn't outright say it then she at least hinted at it.

• 2 months later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.