Click Here!

College

Guest cranky mom

Guest cranky mom

If this gets posted twice, sorry my computer did a bad thing! Anyway my daughter is off to college and has schlorships to help first semester but will need to find the best loans for next one and later. Any suggestions? She has already done fasfa and stafford only goes so far, what I need is what is the best site for them. Some have said sallie mae and citi bank is the best. Just trying to get as much info as possible. Any fastweb has not been that helpful to her. Thanks.

Guest lightgoddess

Ugh! My parents went through the exact same thing you did when I went to college, except fafsa wasn't an option. You might check with your local bank and see what they have or get her to check with financial aid at the school. They can help loads!! Sorry I can't be of more help!!

Other than your bank and FAFSA, check for any financial aid available in your home state and the state your daughter is attending college. It's also a good idea to talk with someone in Financial Services at the college.

Certain businesses, such as fast food places and clothing stores, also offer scholarships. You can check with them. There are several sites that are good scholarship resources.

Scholarships.com

2006 Colleges, College Scholarships, and Financial Aid Page

CollegeBoard

FinAid:The SmartStudent Guide to Financial Aid

I hope that these sites are useful to you and your daughter. Remember to discuss everything with your daughter and let her take care of the discussions wherever she can (such as the Financial Services office on her campus). It'll go a long way if she's the one attempting to garner financial aid, and is told all the details.

College is the best time to assert her independence and take responsibility for adult matters. Obviously, you should be there. My mom helped me out last year (first year of university). This year, however, I took care of matters myself because I have a much better idea of how to handle these things.

I hope that helps. Good luck to you and your daughter. I also hope she enjoys her first year of university. I remember my first year being a bit overwhelming, but I enjoyed my courses and made a lot of new friends. I sincerely hope that her experience for the first year is as good as mine.

Guest cranky mom

thanks for all of the helpful tips. she has a mtg. with her counselor this month and then she goes from there so we can better get an idea of what she will need. Again, thanks.

Guest Big Samurai

Quick bit of advice: If you are getting any loans, only get them through the government! The feds offer the best interest rate, as well as a great consolidation plan once school is over, while the 'loan corporations' that offer most other loans will screw you hard on interest. Trust me on this one.

cool.gif