Click Here!

Jobs

foeofthelance

I'll go first. I work two jobs, both in restuarants.

The first is a corprorate franchise type of place. The guys who run it think company image is everything, so if I so much as lean against the podium or counter I get yelled at. I get a little more then minimum wage, but its hardly worth the endless hours of just standing there. Especially since we get no breaks (they work it so no one works an eight hour shift) and have to pay for any food we get. Discounts are only given if its eaten in house, and dont even think of trying to take your leftovers home.

The second place is a good old fashioned Mom and Pop Italian pizzeria. The place is run by a pair of guy. The first is old and slighly nuts, while the other is a fifty something goofball. (Once watched him convince a waitress he had just placed his penis in a 500 degree fahrenheit oven and leave it there for a few minutes.) Pay is minimum wage, but waiting tables bring it up quite a bit. The atmosphere is rather relaxed, with staff being allowed to sit, talk, and sometimes eat and drink with customers. Best bit? Free food and drink! So it sort of has it all. Good food, good drink, and good company!

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

Well, I'm trying (very very hard!) to make a living as a web-based graphic designer. This is so much harder then it looks! I knew it would be, but DAMN! I'm just trying to raise enough money to pay for advertising so I can sell som commissions.

I actually just finished one for a CD cover. It was a lot of fun. I just hope I don't get a million commish's to draw boy sex, cause... yeah...

Guest Soulsearcher

Well, I'm one of those bonafide singer/actor/dancers. I choreograph, direct, and teach dance when I'm not on a stage performing. So ... there ya go!

I used to go to college, now i'm trying to find a job in childcare either as a plagygroup worker or a teaching assisstant, something along those lines. surprisingly its not as easy as it sounds and at this perticular moment, I am unemplyed.

I know this sounds crazy, englishwitch, but just start your own daycare.

Running your own business is the shiznick.

Sure, you may have to spend a little time putting together proposals and finding a spot, and setting your rates, and saving for your retirement, and you have a 75% chance of failing, but damn, when you work hard and you get your reward, its all yours, and you're the queen of everybody who works for you.

er, I'm a co-owner of a heating/cooling company btw. I do the books and crack jokes, and bitch about how much the other owner is spending on tools. I know what a compressor is, I can tell you what a thermocouple does, and I've seen sheet metal made up like artwork.

I've just been doing this in the past couple years tho. Bookkeeping's the rat's ass when it comes to tracing the trail of a person who has tried to cover their tracks. (When did we BUY that tube heater? Where the fuck did we put it in? HOLY CRAP! This woman took us for $5000! I'm going to Kill her Dog!)

Before that, I stayed at home with the kids and got fat(ter) Before that, I did alot of babysitting (for a professor at the university--he taught child psychology of all things!) and I taught Ukrainian dance once a week. (I DO know what a Plie is, as well!) I worked in a restaurant once or twice and I shudder at the experience. I'm a really crappy waitress.

Guest Big Samurai

This is a unique mix of professions! ... My job, on the other hand, is not very interesting at all. I shelve books during the wee hours of the morning and write in the afternoons. Yes, that's right, ladies and gents, I'm your classic aspiring writer, right down to the relative poverty and the strangely Bohemian lifestyle.

cool.gif

Except I am a geek Bohemian.

I know this sounds crazy, englishwitch, but just start your own daycare.

Running your own business is the shiznick.

Sure, you may have to spend a little time putting together proposals and finding a spot, and setting your rates, and saving for your retirement, and you have a 75% chance of failing, but damn, when you work hard and you get your reward, its all yours, and you're the queen of everybody who works for you.

I'm twenty years old, living on unemployment benefits and don't have a lot of money at the best of times. i don't think i've got what it takes to actually start a buisness just yet. While thats where i want to end up eventually, i think i need a few years experience and savings first.

By the way, i'd be king of everybody who works for me, not queen. I'm a guy.

RE, Big Samurai: i too am an aspiring writer, adult fanfics are just a hobby. i have a coupe of serious stories i'm trying to get published. i know its weird, i write every day as a career, then to relax, i write some more. My Bohemian lifestyle is more forced than chosen.

i know the odds of making enough money to live on writing alone is very slim, thats why i'm trying to get a job in the only other thing i'm good at. childcare.

Guest Madapple

well, ummhmmm...

I work weekend graveyard shifts as a nurse on the surgical floor of a local hospital. For giggles and free drinks, I shelve new magazine shipments at a local shop on Monday afternoons.

I am the mother of twins, 13 year old girls, pray for me.

I also returned to college a couple of semesters ago, to work on a degree in education. I am now enrolled in grad school, working on a thesis.

Nurse, magazine clerk, mom, student, writer, beta

yep...

No wonder I'm exhausted!

Guest Mike256bit

I spend every evening checking IDs and telling people how to flatten images in Photoshop while explaining to other people that they can't print from the Internet because it clogs the print queue.

Otherwise, I freelance design. Like, building crossbows in Solidworks.

When I’m not writing? Well…

After a much-loved and financially challenged couple of years as a musician and wannabe writer, and after my drummer and cohort absconded to parts unknown, I returned to the place that I hate to work for people I loathe so that I might try to teach people how to be "Customer Service Representatives" for a cellular company. Actually, I teach them all the technical stuff. If they’re still assholes when they get on the phones, that’s their problem.

This job is where my love/hate relationship with acronyms comes from. My job is filled with acronyms. I’m always threatening to write an entire manual using only acronyms, articles and prepositions. I teach CSR’s what GSM, TDMA, IRDB, PLMN, GPRS, UMTS and IMEI stand for. These go on and on, through the festering bowels of infinity. They are so plentiful that a program was developed to help people decipher the endless strings of letters. My personal favorites are WAP, as in thump on the head, and ARPU, pronounced “Arr-poo”.

I've only been back at it for a few months, first part-time and now full-time, but these few months have been enough to make me consider yet another career change. I’m thinking that “Gas Station Attendant” would make a wonderful addition to my resume, as would “Independently Wealthy”. I’m hoping the state lottery will help me out with that last one.

Guest TricksterKitsune

I have no job right now... When the fall semester starts, I'll be in school from 8:30am to 4:00pm. I'll probably try to find a job on-campus.

As of right now, I'm hitting every petstore in the area looking for a job. I love animals, I have a year of animal management under my belt, and I interned at the local zoo. I can take on a cage full of hamsters! laugh.gif

I did work at a little conveinence store... For one day. It was horrible. The girl who was training me didn't and left me to deal with the lunch-time and dinner-time crowds. If I asked for help, she'd roll her eyes and sigh. dry.gif Not to mention people come in with stacks of lotto tickets they want checked right this minute while there is a line of people waiting to pay for their items. Again, no help from my "trainer".

After I quit, my friend went back to working there (I had taken her spot when she quit). She quit a week later after being held-up at gunpoint twice on the midnight shift; the one I had taken over for.

I'm never going within ten feet of a store with a lotto machine again (that was the worst part of the job). tongue.gif

Guest DarkAvenger

I'm a full-time college student. My degree? Electrical Engineering with a focus in Microelectronics.

What am I doing as the head tech of adulfanfiction.net you ask? Simple really... My jobs so far in life have been as follows -

Busser/Greeter at a small New Mexican Food Place

Cashier/Opener at Captain D's Seafood

CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) at ARCA/Intercare

CNA at an Alzheimers Unit

Receptionist at a Rehab Clinic

Various volunteer jobs, and moderator of another adult oriented site that a good deal of you would probably drop your jaws at, lol.

Then I ran head-first into the opportunity to be a Tech Asssistant for AFF.net and I got hired on for that purpose, only to discover I was, instead, a moderator since well over a year and a half ago. Only a few months ago, which I'm sure most of you know, I replaced our old Head Tech and finally was presented the job (well, *cough* a hell of a lot more than I originally signed on for) of Head Tech, and here I sit.

I look at it like this, this is a hell of a lot closer to my intended job than say... selling food, wiping people's butts, feeding people, showering people, or answering the phone ever could get. I may not be paid for this, but it has been agreed that I can put it on my resume, and with any luck, it'll be a step in the right direction for me... I hope.

So, now you know me, at least a little more than you once did, ne? XD

Oh, shut up Mike, (you insufferable know-it-all) we all know you're just sucking up to the head tech. You just leave all the sucking up to me, thankyouverymuch tongue.gif

Guest Acita

Two shitty jobs, just trying to make ends meat. One's at a local sub sandwhich franchise owned by two Indian immigrants who can't speak a lick of comprehensible English (I can't understand what you are trying to communicate to me! Can you draw a picture?!). It's nice because for every 7.5 hour shift you work you get a 6 inch sandwhich. I will actually save my sandwhich and take it home so that I have something to eat on days when I'm not working.

The other at a locally owned frozen custard stand. Stressfull, chaotic in this heatwave, and there are no perks. After two years and a promotion I'm only making $6.50/hr.

So when I'm not at one of these places (and I'm not getting drunk in order to forget aforementioned dumps) I'm writing. I'm writing, hoping, praying that maybe someday I can pull of a minor J.K. Rowling and score an original hit big enough to support my college, housing, financially strained family and my diet for at least a while.

And, yes, I am enjoying ranting about how much it sucks to be a hungry teacher-in-training. *grin*

Guest DarkAvenger
After two years and a promotion I'm only making $6.50/hr.

Don't feel bad, that's the max amount I've EVER made, and I spent 3 1/2 years at Captain D's and had to wipe old people's butts for a living for WAY less than that!

Guest Necrotizing Faciitis

Currently, I'm working at the Tourist Association where I live, handing out pamphlets for minimum wage, although I do have freelance work with a small publishing company that I write for. A very small publishing company, that only sells books online, over the phone, or by fax. Book By You It's actually quite interesting - all the books are personalised. My next book is coming out sometime this summer.

I'm also starting university this September. Honours Bachelor of Arts with a Specialization in English is my program name. That means that one day, I'll grow up and be a rich and famous author. haha, Won't we all, right?

Guest ChibiShiva

At the moment, I'm employed by an organization that deals with the English-speaking communities with their economic development. My job, as long as it sounds (Researcher-Assistant in Communications under the Summer Career Placement Program for Students - my official title), isn't very much... yet many things at the same time. I write short texts, I translate then, I edit them, make phone calls and then I do whatever I want. I'm paid 9$/hour to do that.

Otherwise, I'm just a university student in Japan Studies... language classes, history, economics... it's fun ^_^.

Guest Mike256bit
Oh, shut up Mike, (you insufferable know-it-all) we all know you're just sucking up to the head tech. You just leave all the sucking up to me, thankyouverymuch tongue.gif

This is flagrant character assassination. biggrin.gif

ID and Engineering are like this, so of course I have a vested interest!

Guest TricksterKitsune
Don't feel bad, that's the max amount I've EVER made, and I spent 3 1/2 years at Captain D's and had to wipe old people's butts for a living for WAY less than that!

And here I thought cleaning up after a vulture who liked to projectile-vomit on the walls of its enclosure at the zoo was bad! I'd rather do that than wipe the butt of another human. laugh.gif Too bad I didn't get paid for my year of work at the zoo. Oh, wait... I remember what my teacher said, "You get paid in what you learn."

Yeah, I learned that my major is now Anthropology rather than animal management. biggrin.gif

Guest lightgoddess

I am a writer pretending to be a medical secretary. wink.gif I work for a fairly descent sized medical clinic organization where if you don't have insurance, your fee depends on your income. It's full of young doctors, and the admin is fairly young, and we get to wear our jeans on Friday! Woo!!! I also write an article for our company newsletter, which is kind of cool.