Click Here!

How long is too long?

Saitochan

Hey there everyone! I wanted to ask your opinion on a certain matter.

Firstly, have you ever taken breaks or vacation from writing? If so, how long were they, and of course, how long is too long?

I am ashamed to admit I have spent the last nine months or so away from the whole world of writing, let alone AFF.

I seem to recall that I began this "vacation" as a way to clear my head and get new ideas for my stories, but now that I want to write again, my mind is as blank as the day I stopped writing. I'll have to find a way to deal with that, but in the meantime, why don't you tell me about your writing breaks? It might stop my curiosity from itching.

If you want a hiatus from writing i usually find it best to build up a stock of chapters and post them regularly. That way you can continue to post and receive feedback but there is no pressure to write and no need to until you run out of stock.

If you need a mental break, take one; but sometimes it's best to push through a frustrating plot point or few chapters rather than toss your hands up.

Too long is the moment you realize you miss writing. Than it's been too long. Not a moment before that, unless you're making a livng writing. Then too long is a day and a half, lol.

Daunting that you'll miss writing or daunting that a day and a half is too long a hiatus? I've taken some hiatuses... I've been writing forever. Submitted my first novel to publishers when I was sixteen.... oh god I have to laugh at how bad it was now that I know better.

Now I'm running a weekly update site. I add extra chapters for donations and readers have been keeping me busy recently. I've posted four chapters in four days, lol. Work is work, even if you love it. Some writers write moreother work less. How much you work depends on what you want out of your writing career.

Edited by JetKL

In my experience as long as you know enough about your own writing process, its easy to set and meet deadlines. The worst thing you can do as a writer is set yourself up for failure. Examine how you wite, what works as motivation and what doesn't. Sometimes battling writers block for me is as simple as switching between typing on the computer and handwriting chapters. You're brain thinks differently. Some stories I can outline extensively and stick to that, some I end up changing things up entirely. It's important that you continue to explore and analyze your process.

A day and a half might be an exaggeration for a lot of people, it would depend on your writing deadlines. Sometimes I can manage a few days off without issue sometimes i can bang out some chapters quciker than expected and I can afford to take a month to myself to focus on my primary career or deal with problems that come up. It's all about taking a good look at what you need to do and scheduling yourself appropriately.

Like most businesses, writing is time management. Unfortunately this is a real time business. Meaning that there will be hard deadlines that can't be missed if you work in certain portions of the writing world, such as journalism. If you are a contracted writer you may have deadlines set up in your contract which means that when you sign anything or submit a book for publication you need to be aware of your strengths and weaknesses as a writer. If deadlines aren't your thing,don't submit work that isn't in its first full draft. If deadlines help maybe submitting a few prospective chapters is just the thing to motivate you to finish them.

Don't be afraid to push yourself, but don't set yourself up to drown in work either. Moderation and honest self examination is your best friend.