Click Here!

Are multiple usernames permitted on the archive?

JayDee

I used to write stuff under a username other than JD/JayDee. That other username is known to real world family, where JayDee surely isn't.

Is it acceptable to have stories in multiple user accounts on the archive site? I couldn't see any specific rules against it, and it doesn't seem any different to famous authors with different pen names (Stephen King / Richard Bachman etc), but I wanted to ask rather than assume.

Guest Jaxxy
I used to write stuff under a username other than JD/JayDee. That other username is known to real world family, where JayDee surely isn't.

Is it acceptable to have stories in multiple user accounts on the archive site? I couldn't see any specific rules against it, and it doesn't seem any different to famous authors with different pen names (Stephen King / Richard Bachman etc), but I wanted to ask rather than assume.

I see no techie suggestions so far, so... well, no problem, policy-wise. Mind, I'm
sure
I'm missing an entirely-otherwise logistic somewhere. Wouldn't be the first time -- I'm not database-y or techie t'all. So just some cents to share how
I
think:

If it's not sucking bandwidth, slowing the databases, 'sploding the CPU, or hurting someone somehow, my AFFical self loves to make room for anything people would enjoy. I might want to limit this one to something like three accounts per user, if the program wouldn't mind, just for some kind of rational semblance. It
is
a library, not an LJthing, not meant for sockpuppets galore, and it's not supported by a hundred servers like LJ... but a side-penname is justifiable-if-doable.

And yeah, if the trend became widespread enough to cause overload somewhere, even in just man-hours to manage (if it wouldn't already, DG and/or Manta knows best)... well, that's when we'd be forced to make a rule against it.

This thing didn't start with much a plan, maybe at all, anyway... so, tech probs independent, I think it's best to define ourselves as we go, as we have comfortably done for at least these last three-ish years (feels cozy too, lol).

Don't Ask, Don't Tell (and if you do, ioncair)! \o/ Keep your profiles... you're one person, and we'll live... if nothing else, it's a um, special moderator gift, from we to thee. yes.

And now may follow a word from someone intelligent... (ever had a "spinal headache"? good
grief
, but I caddot thinke, but I wanted to have you answered by someone... okay naptime).

:D

Thank you for your thoughts on this query, It sounds like you need to chat with the tech guys on it then on the technical side of it but that's a good philosophical answer from you as owner :)

As for me, I figured it was probably too much fuss to use another pen name just to re-upload some old stories now, but I hope it may be of use to other users for me to have asked this question :)

In point of fact, we DO discourage multiple memberships. You have a host of problems when there are multiple memberships.

One, people often do not remember all their user info and passwords. They then cannot access their story data, and end up having to have as many as 5 memberships merged at a time (I even had one where I merged 10, which took about 2 hours).

Two, the archive itself will eventually be restructured to where one must have a unique email and unique user id.

Three, you have the kiddies who don't belong here, who OFTEN create 5 to 10 memberships to try and get away with posting here underage.

So, as you can see, not really something we encourage.

As always, there are always exceptions, under certain conditions. However, those exceptions we really have to know about so that (for example), your user info does NOT get merged if you don't want it merged.

Guest Jaxxy
In point of fact, we DO discourage multiple memberships. You have a host of problems when there are multiple memberships.

One, people often do not remember all their user info and passwords. They then cannot access their story data, and end up having to have as many as 5 memberships merged at a time (I even had one where I merged 10, which took about 2 hours).

Two, the archive itself will eventually be restructured to where one must have a unique email and unique user id.

Three, you have the kiddies who don't belong here, who OFTEN create 5 to 10 memberships to try and get away with posting here underage.

So, as you can see, not really something we encourage.

Yeah, that!
:)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.