Click Here!

Leaving Constructive Criticism...

EveKnight75

The reason I'm posting this here is because I'm thinking of writing an article on the topic and posting it in the Resource section. Actually, I'm co-writing it with a non-member who's used to giving concrit. Don't worry - she's over 18.

I have my own tips and ideas of how to write a well-rounded constructive review, but I'm pretty sure that you guys can add extra things that I haven't thought of.

I'll just list the basic points and brief explanations here. The detailed explanations are for the article.

----------

-Try to critique every aspect that you can. Several factors are important in a story. This includes spelling, grammar, plot, pacing, settings, characterization, canonization, writing style (repetition, monotony, rushing, etc.). Remember to comment on only the things about which you have sufficient knowledge.

- State examples. If there's a major spelling issue, then point out spelling mistakes that occur frequently, or stand out above the others. If the author has a specific idea of what the mistake is, it becomes easier to rectify it.

- There are degrees to each type of issue. If there are a few minor grammatical errors, state it but don't feel the need to turn it into an issue. Concentrate on the major issues.

- If a specific scene jumps out at you, don't be afraid to refer to it and comment. If you loved a particualar scene, let them know why. The same applies to a scene you particularly disliked. This gives the writer a better idea of his/her weak and strong points when it comes to writing specific types of scenes.

- If there are important issues within the story that you feel can be improved, say so and suggest a beta reader. Better yet, offer your own services as a beta reader if you feel that you have the time and ability.

- If your review is mostly negative, remember to watch your tone. There's a fine line between an elaborate flame and negative concrit. Try to keep your tone as neutral as possible. It's not going to help your case any if you come off as scathing or snooty.

- There's also a fine line between elaborate gushing praise and positive concrit. Stating how much you loved each and every aspect of a fic by using long sentences containing big words from the thesaurus doesn't constitute positive concrit. Stating each aspect you liked, why you liked it, and giving an example or two if possible is constructive.

- Don't flame other authors in your concrit. If there are other authors that you like and you see similarities, it's OK to point it out. Going "Oh my god, you're much better than that other writer" is not OK because you end up unnecessarily hurting someone else's feelings.

- If there are points that you wish to bring up but you feel may be tactless and overly humiliating for the writer, don't put it in a public review if it's possible. Find another way to contact the writer in private, whether it's through an e-mail or PM. Basic manners and tact are important when it comes to constructive criticism.

- Despite popular belief, a constructive review doesn't have to be a long review. There are short constructive reviews and long non-constructive reviews out there.

- Take your time when writing a review. You don't have to review immediately. Think about what you want to say, and look over it to make sure that the review is all right. Re-read the fic if you want to. If your review is extremely long, you may want to consider making it shorter. The whole point of constructive criticism is taking the time and effort to give honest and thorough feedback. If you can't do that right away, it's perfectly understandable.

- Despite the amount of time, you just may feel good about taking the effort to leave constructive criticism. Many authors appreciate concrit, because it shows that you're thoughtful, and you want to help them improve.

----------

Well, that's all we could come up with so far. Is there anything else that you guys would like to add? Is there anything in the tips mentioned that you find dubious and that could be cleared up?

I think you two have covered all the bases. I have received very good concrit and very bad flames, so I understand the necessity for this sort of thing. I really like the idea of giving specific examples when possible. I know that when I am typing i have a tendancy to mangle words, because my fingers don't like following the whim of my brain at the time. So that sort of thing is very helpful to me.

Anyway, I think this is a great idea. Thanks for thinking of it. tongue.gif

• 3 weeks later...

There's also another point I've noticed, at least in one or two flames that I've received.

Some readers do not seem to comprehend that they are not a Godsend and it is NOT their right to go and lord this "divine" knowledge over us all.

I understand if someone reviewing my stories may have tons of experience doing what I am now just trying to do. But I feel it is wrong to have a condescending, "I'm-like-totally-so-better-than-any-of-this" attitude. In my eyes, any credit these said "unbiased" reviewers may have had, evaporates. realmad.gif

I mean, if someone is going to come down from their "pedestal" to toss their "pearls" of wisdom toward authors, you'd think they'd know to aim well and not toss them about like confetti.

People really need to understand that phrasing and word usage has an enormous impact on how their review is conceived. I'm glad you covered this Eve. I hope you don't mind, I've quoted you on a review someone sent me that was everything they're NOT suppose to do when critiquing. smile.gif

(Is it obvious that people like this miff me? huh.giffreak.gif )