Click Here!

Bossy readership keeping you down...?

scottishfae

I'm hoping that some of the people angry at me for not updating my IY fic Unexpected Endeavors will come to the forums instead of acting like twats through the reviewing/rating system on the archives. That system, btw, is not meant to be a way to act out your personal vendettas.

Okay, so people are angry at me because I posted a Koga-centric one-shot called And They Cried... today. They are angry specifically b/c I haven't been able to update my other IY story "Unexpected Endeavors" in a couple months. Why? Oh there are many reasons. I'm working on it, for one, inspiration is slow, for seconds, and of course, the fact that I had to stop writing all fanfiction for a while so I wouldn't have to drop out of grad school. And that's just the beginning.

I don't know how many people who may read this are writers and how many are only readers, but the writing process (which is different for everyone) is something that doesn't always work how you mean it. As I was trying to hunt down the origin of my lost mobile (still not found, btw) I got inspiration for a story that has been on my "To Write" list for over 2 years now. Inspiration struck and I ran with it. Hell, that's how UE started to begin with. It was a one-shot, as it was supposed to be, and I posted it after a few redrafts.

Honestly, if anyone is going to rate or review a fic without actually reading it, then I probably don't want their readership to begin with. I appreciate support, but it's hard to know what life is like to each individual author and until I get paid for churning out those chapters, I have to put them aside when necessary for things that are important to "real life."

And so this doesn't become just a personal rant in the forums, is anyone else having problems like this too? People who are being increasingly pushy about updates without consideration that the authors too have lives outside of fanfiction that they need to interact with? Has anyone had success bringing their readership to the forums to discuss these types of things?

I wish I could say I am surprised someone did that to you, but I'm not. I don't know what it is, but for some reason Inuyasha is a fandom notorious for the entitlement readers. I don't know if it's because it attracts a lot of younger readers, thoughtless and selfish readers, or both.

I can sympathize with people when they say they're sad when a fic goes on a little hiatus. That's understandable. We all feel like that about our favorites fics.

However, flaming the author is WRONG. We can't control our inspirations. We can't control our time in RL versus the small time we have to writing or just plain finding an escape. We're not in high school and have all this abounding free time. Some of us have careers, horribly tight and busy college schedules, or families to take care of. Writing is an escape that we enjoy. It's certainly less enjoyable when someone DEMANDS you please them and write nothing else.

I've gotten similar reviews once in awhile. I usually delete them or ignore them because such a review is hateful and not necessary on my review board. If there's constructive criticism about the story in question, yes, leave it but that's an all out attack and you don't have to put up with that.

That person has problems if she's waiting around forever seething that you don't update right away. Tell her to go out and enjoy some sunshine and fresh air and you'll update YOUR story when you're good and ready.

*hugs* And write what you darn well want, make yourself happy people! You may lose some readers, but hey, that's not your problem. If they're not that loyal and interested in your story and they can't understand you're a human being behind the computer with a real life, well then forget them. Not worth it.

*luffles*

I've gotten a few reviewers yelling at me for starting a new fic instead of working on an unfinished one. News flash people, that's not a review, that's badgering and, as the writer, if I want to write something new, I can. Fortunately, I'm not one of those bitchy writers that holds back fics because of what my reviewers say, but I'm not going to stop writing new stuff for my old stuff, either.

Okay, there is the other side of the story and I'm an example:

when a fiction is not updated for a couple of months, I just give up on it. I forget what happened before and I have no wish to read it all again :P

So it's good to keep it in mind - not updating means loss of some readers :P

Fortunately, I'm not one of those bitchy writers that holds back fics because of what my reviewers say, but I'm not going to stop writing new stuff for my old stuff, either.

As frustrated as I get at times, I don't think I could ever hold my own fic for hostage. I have gotten to the point where I've wanted to quit writing (though that was mostly for my own self-depreciation more than outside forces) or stop publishing on certain sites. As much as I love AFF and many of the people here (especially you, DemonGoddess061, who has become one of my dearest friends), sometimes the way people act make me just want to pull my stories. I don't b/c there are a lot of people here who aren't so self-absorbed and that would be unfair to them.

when a fiction is not updated for a couple of months, I just give up on it. I forget what happened before and I have no wish to read it all again :P

So it's good to keep it in mind - not updating means loss of some readers :P

I find it's pretty rare for people to not update for a long time w/o a reason. They don't always share it with readers, but there is usually something foregrounding the lapse. So while I'm sure readers may lose interest after a while, sometimes it just can't be helped. As quirkyslayer pointed out, most writers aren't "writing robots" we don't all have the expendable time, budget, energy, resources or even creativity to pound out 10-20 page chapters every couple of days.

And with that said, I do want to say that I'm on both sides of this situation. I'm a reader just as much as a writer and I get just as frustrated when people don't update. But the big difference is I know when to walk away and be mature about it. If I see the author wrote a new story, I wouldn't immediately flame it b/c it isn't the story s/he wants. I'm not always very proud of my stories (again, self-depreciation queen, right here!) but the one that was flamed I am very much in love with. To see it not even get a chance kind of hit my buttons, which caused this thread.

I'm responding to this as a reader instead of a writer because, as a writer, I haven't had this problem...yet *knocks on wood*

I agree with canterro that a long period between updates can be discouraging as a reader (especially if the story in question is particularly long). On the other hand, if the story is exceptional, I have no problem going back and re-reading it to refresh my memory. One of my favorite Inu writers took over a year (maybe two!) to update her fic. But it is so well-written that I went back and read it from the beginning. Maybe it's a little easier for me to understand since I can sympathize with lack of inspiration, time, and motivation (I'm currently suffering from all three :unsure: ). I would not, however, have a problem with a favorite author writing something on the side while in the middle of a story - the whole reason they are one of my favorites is because I love their writing. I'll take what I can get and patiently wait for the update.

Your reviewer(s) who complained probably can't understand what it really takes to write. Sometimes I think people who don't write think that you can just sit down and voila! you have ten-thousand words written and a chapter that is fabulous, with your plot solid and your prose sparkling. But it takes just as much energy as it does time to create some days. And then you have the added neurosis of just being a writer, where you feel like nothing is good enough, that everything you wrote is a huge stinky pile of poo, and there's no way you could ever let anyone read it. Inu readers seem to be particularly ignorant of these problems. I would like to know just how many of them could sit down and bang out a 50,000 word story in a matter of weeks that was spectacular...

I suppose, as frustrating as it can be, you just have to ignore those people and think to yourself, "Yeah, but you probably can't do what I'm doing" even though that sounds terribly pompous and condescending.

when a fiction is not updated for a couple of months, I just give up on it. I forget what happened before and I have no wish to read it all again :lol:

So it's good to keep it in mind - not updating means loss of some readers :unsure:

well, while it is annoying trying to keep up with a story that has slow updates, I've never had the problem. There is a fic I've been reading for the past four years that the author updates very rarely. Whenever I forget something, I just go back and reread the whole fic. Of course, some fics just aren't worth it, but this one was. Sometimes I just keep an eye on a fic and when it's complete, I read the whole thing.

The story I am currently in the process of writing I had been updating the first 7 chapters at least once every 2 days, then there was a gap of a few weeks before I could write the 8 chapter. No one seemed to complain. Could be that only a few are reading it. But no new reviews either since the 7th chapter, that has me a little concerned.

Guest CanadianGinger

I hear you. I have a tendency to start writing new stories instead of continuing my old ones. I get people harassing my in reviews about how I should dedicate myself to one story, as opposed to writing many. I'll admit I'm not good for updating, but like you stated, real life takes the front seat. Writing is fine as a pass-time, but it isn't my entire life.

Anyways, I wouldn't let it bother you too much.

Guest Crysthala

I'm currently working on a story that, to date, has 25 chapters uploaded, and the 26th is particularly tricky (new territory- I've never done Peg before), but though a few people are demanding updates, they aren't doing it unkindly. It's more along the lines of "OMG you stopped! Nooo! I want to read the rest! Update plz plz!" rather than "UPDATE NOW UR A HORRIBLE PERSON," and even though I have two other fics on AFF that I'm also working on for other fandoms, I haven't heard a peep out of them. *shrug* CSI fans rock. :)

even though I have two other fics on AFF that I'm also working on for other fandoms, I haven't heard a peep out of them.

I've been writing in lots of other fandoms between my updates, b/c those are usually short stories that I can pop out in a day two. UE is something that takes a lot more to it, and the fact that I'm (now) putting a lot of research into it--which is kind of what I"m doing for all my works that I"m basing in Japan now. I"m noticing that a lot of people don't cross fandoms though. They kind of stick to one or two at the most, and for that, I'm possibly happy.

I'm thinking a lot of this drama is completely unique to the IY fandom. A friend of mine listened to vent and then told me that other drama has been happening in the fandom similar or a lot worse. I'm kind of wondering if the fandom will slow down and thin out now that the series is over with; or perhaps it already has and the drama is caused by the people left.

Weel, I can see both sides, being a reader and a writer :)

I think that the crucial thing is to put a line between not updating "because..." and an inclination to start story after story without ending them.

I believe writers should try to be kind of "reliable". If they upload something for the public, this public shouldn't be then forgotten and ignored :)

• 3 months later...
People suck. So I expect them to bitch.

lmao nice philosophy

But, really, this is something I always hate to see even as a reader. I haven't yet experienced it as a writer considering I only have one story. But as a reader, when I look at the reviews and see people acting like idiots it turns me off. The stories have been good and they're complaining about updates when the writer sometimes updates fairly quickly(in a matter of 2 or 3 days) I know how hard it is to actually write it out. It takes time, and unlike some people a lot of people DONT have the time and yet are still able to update. So like Namrea said, people suck, so expect them to bitch, because more than like one of your reviews will be bitching. Sad, but true.

lmao nice philosophy

But, really, this is something I always hate to see even as a reader. I haven't yet experienced it as a writer considering I only have one story. But as a reader, when I look at the reviews and see people acting like idiots it turns me off. The stories have been good and they're complaining about updates when the writer sometimes updates fairly quickly(in a matter of 2 or 3 days) I know how hard it is to actually write it out. It takes time, and unlike some people a lot of people DONT have the time and yet are still able to update. So like Namrea said, people suck, so expect them to bitch, because more than like one of your reviews will be bitching. Sad, but true.

Oh goody someone agrees with me B)

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, there can be many different reasons for not updating.

Examples:

"The Best of a Bad Situation" by Rosswrock. The author joined the Navy and has little time for writing fanfic. Hopefully, he'll finish it when his enlistment is up.

"The Missing Bits" by me. Quite simply, my creativity has wandered off and shows little sign of coming back. I had an initial burst of creativity when I first started writing fanfic a few years ago, but after about 6-8 months, it has pretty much died. These days all I get in the way of story ideas are for poor PWP and not much of that.

Ignore the little e-demons and focus on what you want and need to do. If they are dedicated fans they will understand. If they are incapable of comprehending the fact that bills must be paid and homework must be done, then they are selfish brats.

IY,YGO, HP, and Naruto fandoms seem to have a problem with this.

I've yet to finish watching IY so I can't comment on the rabid fans. All I can say is write at your owen pace, no-one elses, or you're just going to burn out and get frustrated no matter what you want to write, wether its updating existing work, or something new.

Guest Savaial

I first posted Phantom of the Opera fanfiction on POTO, and had to take a hiatus from writing after starting my third story. I got sick. I didn't just come down with the flu, I had a mental breakdown.

Oh the tragedy! I got hounded so much, from PLZ UPDATE So0N, to YOUR AN AROGNANT BITCH HOW DARE U LEEVE IT LIKE THIS!!!

I pulled from the site and have never gone back.

Anyway, the way I look at it, our readers are getting something for nothing. We are entertaining them for free. Some are appreciative and express that, while some seem to think they can slap a quarter between your shoulder blades and have you burp out a 2,000 word chapter.

Writing is art, and art is subject to schedules, famiy, work and obligation the same as anything else. Personally, I dream of being locked in a Rapunzel-like tower with food and a computer and a bathroom. Maybe that way I could actually focus. Oh, and smokes. If I run out of cigarettes, I'll jump.

Personally, I dream of being locked in a Rapunzel-like tower with food and a computer and a bathroom. Maybe that way I could actually focus. Oh, and smokes. If I run out of cigarettes, I'll jump.

Keep you away from high buildings with an enforced smoking ban then eh? :P

IY,YGO, HP, and Naruto fandoms seem to have a problem with this.

I can't say I am really surprised at which fandoms have a problem with this. I, myself, am a rapid IY fan; however, I never posted a negative review demanding that the writer finish it right now. I don't think myself that special lol.

Truth be told, I believe IY, YGO, HP, and Naruto have some of the biggest children/teenager followings. These people do not have any idea how long it takes to come out with a chapter. Myself, if I am lucky. A 2000 page chapter will take me 3 or four days. My own chapters are anywhere from 4,000-6000 (These can take me anywhere from 5 to ten days). I write for quality, so it takes longer. The problem with teenager followings is that many teenagers do not realise that real life comes in play with these story. One might have a family. I, myself, have a two year old with a husband. We have one computer, and if he is home from work he gets it. I only write on the computer nothing else. Next year it will be worse. I will be going back to school. I doubt my fan fictions will go away; however, they will be put on the back burner.

I can understand that the longer it takes to produce a chapter, the author is at risk to losing some reason. As a reader myself, I could wait for monthes between chapters. Look at it this way. It could be that the longer the wait the more quality will be to the chapter.

Edited by Darksavior03

• 3 months later...
Guest sylvir

Readers will always be bossy, deal with it. The best way to do this is give them a lot of information right off the bat. I always write in an author note at the beginning of a multi-chapter story about how I write and leave a permanit one in my author information page.

I am not a proffesional, I'm only a person with a hobby. When I'm away from my computer I have little to no influences to drive me back to the computer or notebook. (I mostly write long hand.) Unlike proffesionals who have editors, contracts, paychecks for the writing, and deadlines. I actually have more influences to drive me away from writing instead of towards it: work to pay the bills, cooking, reading, the dishs, laundry, friends, family, and taking care of my animals.

I take the time to explain that insperation comes and goes. Just because the first few chapters practically wrote themselves in a month doesn't mean that will always be the case. Sometimes it takes months to just write one chapter where I used to be able to crank out 2-3 in that amount of time.

Writing is about communication. If you can cummunicate a plot then you can explain to your readers that art takes time.

Reminds me of all the crap I'm going through at FF.net with my old IY fics. I have no interest what so ever to finish them. Their old and badly written, by no means even remotely prime examples of my craptastic skills that have gotten better.

I made a lot of noob mistakes and didn't take certain things as serious as i should have, just throwing them into the plot for the shock value.

I've had more then a few reviewers act like royal twats over it when I put up a notice on my profile that the IY fics are on a permanent hiatus. When I blocked their PM's on FF.net because they were being assholes over it, pretty much the Finish It Now Or Your Bad Writer thing, they started to E mail me.

I stopped writting IY because of sevral things, mostly because of the Drama Lamas, Screaming Fangirls and abrasive to down right abusive revwiers. The drama seems to be unique to the IY, YGO and HP and now Twilight. My Final Fantasy Nine fics have recived no drama over them.