Click Here!

Story search by story code

Guest Dragojin

• 4 weeks later...

it isnt even funny how 90% of the tags are 3 or less...

Since tags are currently part of the Summary field, and that field has a character limit of 240 characters, our goal was to take as little space as possible with tags. I understand it makes it difficult to search by tags as a result, but you could always try searching the full term, such as "Bisexuality" rather than "Bi."

Until we get to that stage of the code rewrite, and tags are given a separate field, it's going to be difficult. Authors need to juggle between a summary to attract readers and tags, and as a writer myself, the summary is difficult enough in so short a space. Many of our authors actually tag at the top of the first chapter, because they simply can't fit a summary an all necessary tags into that field.

Now, having said all that, if you give me an idea of what you're looking for, I might be able to assist in narrowing it down. I used Bi, Bisexuality simply because it was the first tag on the list that was under four characters.

• 1 month later...

I personally would opt for adding the tag if you think it's applicable. I rarely get complaints from readers about stories having a few extra tags, unless they were looking for something specific, like seeing a tag for WS and not finding any WS content. On the other hand, I do get a lot of feedback from readers who feel a tag was missing, and who were unpleasantly surprised as a result.

One of the biggest things I do look for as a moderator is what we call "trigger" tags, for content like Rape, Incest, or Minor1/Minor2 just as a few examples. These denote content that can have a very strong effect on readers, and that needs to be disclosed, even if an author might think such tags constitute spoilers. Again, for myself, I tag even if the content happens offscreen, or is only lightly touched on in my story. The last thing I want is to cause someone emotional harm.

And you can always PM me or post in the General Staff Questions if you want to ask about something specific. I'm happy to help! :)

• 1 year later...
Guest Billy

Now that tags are separate are you going to add a search by tag option? Cuz as of right now even the 4 character ones aren't even showing up in a summary search.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.