Click Here!

She is the One

GEMINI

Guest Brierthorn

I like this most recent chapter a lot. I recently graduated college so I can definitely relate a lot to what jack is going through, realising how time away from somewhere can make it seem very different and very much the same when you return.

I'm also curious as to what's going on with the Hannigans.

Next chapter should be up either today or tomorrow :)

I apologize for not participating more in the discussion of the story but I probably shouldn’t since I’m chock full of spoilers and don’t want one to accidentally slip out. I still love reading all the analysis and theories tho!

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:14 AM, Jashley13 said:

I apologize for not participating more in the discussion of the story but I probably shouldn’t since I’m chock full of spoilers and don’t want one to accidentally slip out. 

Here’s a few things I hope get answered—                                                                                                                                           

*What’s with the Hannigans?  Are they going to separate?

*What’s with Alan?  Why did he stop bulking up?  Something to do with Kelly?

*What’s with Amanda?  Is she still with Grant or maybe someone else?  (Jack noticed how beautiful she looked.)  

I also hope that Jack runs into someone unexpected— maybe Belle or Jessica or even Brad?  Or possibly his favorite phys-ed instructor, the delightful Ms. Cartwright?  :P

One prediction before the new chapter is posted…  Rhona’s new boyfriend will make a total jerk out of himself when they all get togrther.

Edited by Chester57

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, Chester57 said:

One prediction before the new chapter is posted…  Rhona’s new boyfriend will make a total jerk out of himself when they all get togrther.

Okay, I blew that one.  Not only does Perry turn out to be a nice guy, but he gets Jack thinking about a possible career change.  Good chapter.  I’m wondering why Grant suddenly took off without saying hello to Jack.  Could that conversation on the front porch with Amanda have been their break-up?  

:bday:  Just so I don’t miss it— Happy Birthday tomorrow to our author.  Wishing you a great day, Joe!  :wish:

• 2 weeks later...

So it’s been a little while since I’ve done a decent post on here, hasn’t it? Well, time to change that! *pops knuckles*

This actually started with the sudden realization that my friend BashfulScribe’s stories are no long available on the website. I have no idea how or why that happened but ideally it’s just a bug and should hopefully be rectified soon.

I mention this because it kind of leap-frogs off the back of the fact that he and I talk quite a bit about writing and stories and whatnot. And it also piggybacks on noting that the forum is nowhere near as lively as it used to be. Partly my fault, as I have grown notoriously bad at updating anything aside from when the next chapter will be posted, but also because...well, this is a long story. A very long story. At BashfulScribe’s suggestion, I’ve added tags to the chapters that start a new saga, but that doesn’t change the fact that there is now over 100 chapters of this story and with what I’ve got left in my brain, I don’t see it stopping anytime soon.

Obviously, I understand that the prospect of reading this story can be very draining, especially to new readers. I briefly considered actually hacking up the story itself and posting each individual Saga as its own story. I might still do that, though that then creates the confusion of having someone start a Saga that I’m currently posting in, only to get confused and realize just how much of the rest of the story there is. I prefer to have it all in one place but, honestly, the best way I can think of to get this out in the most non-shocking of ways is to actually get the damn thing published and I don’t know the first step of that. Each saga would be its own book, of course, and maybe having them physically separated is the best way, but...again, I wouldn’t know where to start.

As for how much I write, I fully admit that I maybe overindulge a bit. I’m a guy of somewhat excessive taste. I love having the whole thing. If you tell me a story, I will always want more. I love details and backstory and addendums and so on and so on. I’ve been compared to Peter Jackson more than once, which I don’t take as an insult. The man fills in the margins with as much as he can, and I like to do the same. So yeah, 100+ chapters is excessive. I’ll fully admit that. If I could make it more accessible, believe me, I would. I’ve grown so attached to these characters that I don’t want to stop telling their story. At this point, it’s kind of therapy for me. I keep waiting to hit the wall and slam into Writer's Block, but it doesn’t happen. I’ve also thought about maybe taking a sabbatical and letting the story rest for a bit, but then I worry about leaving people in the lurch and potentially losing fans who want to see more. I’m not saying anyone depends on me or anything. Just that I hate disappointing.

So yeah, that’s basically where I sit with my writing. It’s changed from the early days, I know that. The characters have changed. I have changed. The mood has changed. The style has changed. Was it better in the early days? Perhaps, but I’m finding his new stuff is more personal and therefore more meaningful. To me, anyway. To each their own.

Thank you all so much for your continued support and if any of you has suggestions, feel free to comment. Believe me, I will never turn down advice.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:27 AM, Jashley13 said:

And it also piggybacks on noting that the forum is nowhere near as lively as it used to be. Partly my fault, as I have grown notoriously bad at updating anything aside from when the next chapter will be posted, but also because...well, this is a long story. A very long story. 

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the drop in the number of contributors on the forum coincided with the groups’ graduation from Brow Ridge.  That’s sad in a way— almost like some readers were thinking, Well, high school’s over so what else is there?

Myself, I thought the College Saga re-invigorated the story very well without requiring Jack to get into another fight.   I’m half hoping, however, that you come up with another arch-nemesis like Brad.  :lol:     

I would tell you to just keep doing what you’re doing and don’t spare the details!     …… and WTF is going on with the Hannigans?

Guest Brierthorn

I've been following this story since it was on the blue site way back when. It's always been entertaining and I'm always anxious to read the next part of the story. Though there was a point that I really lost interest for a while. I know all stories have low points but to me, the story became very monotonous. In every chapter, Jack would whine about trying to be better and not actually doing anything to move towards that goal.  I don't remember exactly when this was(sometime before Jack and Kayla moved to college) but I noticed at that time that the chat here started to slow down. I don't know if others felt the same, that's just my 2 cents. 

As for the gaining new readers,I think that it might be intimidating for some to start a story this long that keeps getting longer. I know I've personally not watched shows because there was too much out already I didn't want to have to watch all the old stuff to get to the new stuff. Though realistically I think it can be done by avid readers. I read all 6 Mortal Instruments books in about 5 weeks. I think breaking it up into multiple physical books would make it more difficult to follow since most sagas don't have the standard story structure. Plus that would still be a lot of individual books. Which would again make some readers shy away from having to purchase so many physical books.

Finally as a fellow writer I envy you a little for not hitting the writers block wall. I've dropped many projects over the years just because I couldn't see where the story was going anymore. As a fan though, I'm glad you haven't so there's always new adventures to come back to. I think I speak for a lot of readers that even though we might not comment often, we still really enjoy losing ourselves in your story, and really thankful for you sharing this story with the world. 

“if Jessica was planting her stake in my life again, however sincere it might or might not have been, it was possible she wasn’t going to go away for a long time. And once again, we wouldn’t be free of her.

Jack should simply block their phone numbers (Jessica and Ted) and be done with it.  That’s what Kayla is going to tell him.  There’s no upside here for Jack if he contacts Jessica because he might be feeling guilty.  BTW, where is Jessica going to college?  Somewhere close to Iowa?  Might be funny if she showed up at Jack’s door un-announced.  Then we’d see a good catfight!

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 106 is up :) and just a heads-up, the next chapter might be a little slower in coming. In just over a week, I’m taking an exam for promotion so I will be focusing most of my efforts on that. I may do a little writing just to give myself a break, but I really want this promotion so I’m gonna double-down and focus on studying. Hopefully, the wait shouldn’t be too extra long. Thank you for being patient with me!

Wow, it’s been a while. I went back through a lot of the discussion I missed since I dropped off again. I do agree that part of the reason I stopped reading was the change in Jack’s character, and the constant shit he always did. However, I’d be lying if I said it was the reason I stopped reading. Life gets in the way, and mine did. I’m gonna give it another go, and it seems like I’ve got a lot of story to catch up on. 

Congrats on the 100 chapter milestone, and I know the place isn’t as active as it used to be. You should know that I think about this story a lot. Sometimes it just comes to me in the middle of the day. I think “I wonder how Jack and Kayla are doing.” It was a part of me as I struggled with things, and as I grew up more. I think a lot of what frustrated me about the story and Jack is, that while the situations weren’t too similar, I found them to be real, and hitting a bit too close to home sometimes. I don’t really know how to explain it, but sometimes, it was hard to come back here. It was like coming back to a part of my life that I couldn’t get back. The point being, you’re an incredible writer, and your story has had a tangible impact on me. It inspired me to write on my own and to do it often. 

Edited by thismy
Grammar

Chapter 106 had me thinking that maybe you’re setting us up for something.  Everything seemed to be going a little too smoothly.  Jack is optimistic about the audition.  His classmates and professors like him.  Kayla reaffirms her love for him.  Life’s a bowl of cherries, right?  Sorry, but that ain’t Jack.  Something is going to blow up in his face but I don’t know what.

Hey everyone! Just got out of my exam. I apologize for the silence the last couple of weeks but I’ve been keeping my nose in the studying and didn’t want to just tease you all with short, constant updates when there was nothing to report. But now that I’m done (and don’t find out anything until November), I can get back to writing full-force without the constant nagging of ‘maybe I should be studying’ hanging over my head. Thank you all so much for your patience and I hope to properly reward it with quality writing :)

• 2 weeks later...

A little off-topic but I actually took the time yesterday to root for Iowa State who got their first win of the year over Akron University 26 – 13.   Too bad the story line isn’t in synch with football season!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

“And so the circle of insanity begins…”

Knew this was coming ever since the conversation Chester had with Jack while shoveling the driveway.  He wanted to make sure Jack would be there to take care of Kayla.  Jack needs to tread carefully here until something actually happens back home.  He’s right in thinking that often the wisest course of action is to do nothing.  He also needs to tell Thomas to keep his mouth shut about it.  Good chapter.

If this is going to be the start of a new Saga, then Circle of Insanity would be a good name. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.