Click Here!

Not quite human, not quite animal

bryosgirl

I'm in the first round of editing a one-shot, and I find myself conflicted regarding story codes.

The story involves a man who is derogatorily referred to as a lizardman. The issue is that despite the nickname, he isn't overly reptilian in form. He is much more akin to a human with some details reminiscent to reptiles (barbed anatomy, colored/thick skinned, overbite, flat nose and tail). Personally, I really can't see applying anthro or beast because despite the handful of details they look quite human, but of course as the writer there's the whole bias thing. Xeno is definitely out of the question for various reasons.

So the question I guess is if a character is humanoid race with aspects reminiscent of specific animals, would you as a reader expect/want anthro/beast tags?

Slightly off-topic but since we're here, what about when it comes to creatures like werewolves?

For me, as a reader and as a writer, anthro needs a lot more non-human characteristics than what you described. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are anthro. Your character and weres are not.

• 1 month later...