Click Here!

Have You Ever Written A Walkthrough / Guide?

Guest Knorg

Have you ever written a walkthrough / guide?

Why / What made you do it?

Are you proud of it?

I wrote a guide to the old Microprose game, Bloodnet, (which I won't link here because it isn't on adult-fanfiction.org - my aff.net account is a review account) I wrote it because the only guide I ever saw just gave the bare minium steps to get through the game, and I wanted to explain all of the side quests. I didn't entirely finish it, ie I never got around to doing the weapon/armour section, but I was fairly happy with it. I did it in about 2001 and a couple months ago I got an excited email from a chap in Israel who had always wanted to know how to do some of the side quests and had been pretty darned exctatic to use the stuff to get through and see those PC/NPC interactions.

Which was nice and made me kinda proud.

Ah man...I remember the older Microprose games! :P

I had done a walkthrough eons ago for Masters of Magic and also attempted one for the old computer game Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy (but ended up getting stumped myself!) also.. (and my mind is blanking on the name here...) There was a game where it was nothing but text such as (Go to the mailbox, get the letter from the mailbox, etc). I think it was Quark? something with a "Q" in it.

Recently I have written a few "guides" for Diablo 2, for the Amazon and Barbarian. But yes, some of the walkthrough guides are a godsend, and I appreciate those folks who take the time to do it. I would have never figured out the "Godfather" game without a detailed walkthrough... (Crappy game none the less, but the authors walkthrough was brilliantly well done).

I wrote a mini-walkthrough of a way to cheat in an early version of Might and Magic.

A way to use two save disks to turn 1 coin per character to a total net party worth of a million in about an hour.

Posted it on an early GTE bulletin board. Wow. Now i'm flashing back to a dark screen with green text....

• 6 months later...

Ages ago I made the start of a walkthrough for my friend, who literally couldn't get anywhere in Final Fantasy IX. After guiding her over the telephone on how to get the preliminaries under way, she then went on to get killed in the first random encounter. So I heaved a sigh and went on to write a neurotically detailed walkthrough all the way from first inserting the disk into the playstation, to the end of the first disk.

All these years later, I'm somewhat miffed that I never kept a copy of the guide, as it really had a lot of detailed information and covered many of the "hidden" aspects as well, as well as a solid tutorial of the fighting system. It was a spoilerific, pretty much idiot-proof thing, but I was kind of proud of it. I'm one of those people who finish a 50 hour game in 150 hours, because I need to explore every single little thing and talk to all the NPCs, get all the skills and all that jazz. B)

• 2 years later...

About two years before I joined this site I attempted to write a walkthrough for Dragon Ball Z Budokai. I had gotten half of it finished and had gone more in depth than most of the other guides for that game. But as luck would have it my computer experienced the joys of the blue screen of death :samurai: . I managed to reinstall the OS but lost everything I had on my harddrive. I tried starting over but the same thing kept happening again and again over the course of a year. I finally said fuck it right before that particular laptop crapped out for good. And that was my one and only foray into game-faq writing.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.