Click Here!

Fan-fics: Are they wrong?

SummerRayne

Actually I am a student, but I won't start up my junior year till next fall. I'm not currently enrolled write now. So, no it's not homework. I just wanted to make a interesting subject that writers could intelligently debate back and forth.

A lot, of my friends write and read fan-fics A LOT and they always literally made me read them even though I was always more interested in their original work. Often they would delay the stuff that I really wanted to read that was their work for these anime, harry potter, and vampire fan-fics. And I was always like, "Well, what the hell would make a writer focus on someone else's work more than their own?"

Well, as for the professor question: I am not a writing arts or creative writing major. I wish I could be, but I just don't see myself getting a job in those fields as quickly as I could get a job in my actual major. I need to pay my bills while writing. lol

I am a journalism major. So there's only truth and facts and integrity as topics on my professors brains. So, to answer your question madloger no this isn't a homework assignment for me. I wish it was though. I like school. biggrin.gif

Edited by SummerRayne

I am a journalism major. So there's only truth and facts and integrity as topics on my professors brains.

I am going to make a prediction that after graduating and getting a job in the field, the DEADLINES will be the most important things, not facts and integrity. There will be some time to do the research, but it will be limited and life will be hectic with juggling the job and family at the same time. I've read some professional articles which mentioned fanfiction which left impression that authors just "winged it" without any kind of deep understanding. It seems to be a hot topic these days. I am afraid that professors at school may be presenting a more Idealistic side of this stressful job to their young students than it really is.

"Deadlines" is something every writer has to deal with.

To me it seems you think that writing is actually "work" to me. But any kind of writing to me is just fun. Every job has deadlines and responsibilities, writing fields are no different.

I know that writing is work. There's nothing idealistic about being a journalist, but I enjoy a hearty search for the truth and being as sort of watchdog for the government.

However, I think you could say all the stuff your saying about college students idealizing their perfect job after college about anything. Cause every job is stressful even being a cafeteria worker. It's how you deal with the stress that sets you apart.

I enjoy a hearty search for the truth and being as sort of watchdog for the government

jawdrop.gif

As long as " truth and facts and integrity" are not compromised...

QUOTE (Keith Inc.)

The FF writer can cross boundaries the original can't. Studio realities and legalities keep Dr. Who from taking the Smurfs to do detail work in Willy Wonka's factory. But an FF author can, in my case for example, rewrite Gulliver's Travels to put Blackadder in the title role. Or place Basil Fawlty as the EMH on Voyager.

And again, it's play.

But, why would you even want to do that? Goes back to my first paragraph.
I guess i don't understand the question...

I tried to read everyone's responses thoroughly, but this is a really long thread. So, if I say something someone else has already said, forgive me.

I think it's a bit ridiculous to say that fanfiction isn't "real" writing and the authors of these stories aren't "real" writers. I've seen more "real" writing in fanfiction archives than in the originals. Unfortunately, to find these, you don't have to merely weed out the bad ones -you almost literally have to trudge through them before you find those rare gems of good, solid writing.

Maybe I'm a little confused about what some people's definition of "real" writing is. What do these stories lack that make them any less real or serious from an "original" piece? Is it just that they're using characters that have already been thought up by someone else? That's bull. Characters -and plots- from literature get recycled and reused all the time. By saying that other people have no right to change the way a character acts, how they look, what they do, is like saying that the original author's work was like a sacred text that is completely and utterly infallible in its creation. You limit the creative potential of every writer and artist out there by that one statement. It's like saying you have to come up with all your own special, perfectly original ideas -all the time. I'd like to meet one, just one, writer or artist that can honestly say that what he/she has written or painted hasn't been inspired by someone else's work. Tolkien was probably one of the greatest and foremost writers in the fantasy genre. If you think about it, really, everything after that was just fanfiction (and where did he get his ideas? Hmm).

You can't own an idea. Sure, you can write it all down, publish it (if you should be so lucky), and get it copyrighted to your heart's content. But, in the end, you're just copyrighting words on a page. The Idea, that fundamental wisp of thought that led to the words on the page, can never truly be owned. You will release it to the masses and they will interpret it how they will. And then, if you are truly lucky, they will love it -so much so that they will want to immerse themselves in your world, think up new experiences and adventures, new characters to interact with the old. If a story ended and no one was around to explore the possibilities of the idea contained within it, what would happen? A new and potentially exciting world would suddenly cease to exist simply because it was forgotten.

It doesn't matter if Rowling never intended or hinted at Snape being gay. The fact of the matter is, the fanfic authors are exploring new ideas based off the old...and people act like that's never happened before.

It's unfortunate that fanfic writers have been deemed an unimportant part of the literary world. Their creativity sometimes exceeds that of "original" writing.

Creativity...

That's something I don't think I've addressed in my response so far.

Writing in someone else's world is a challenge. A challenge to my own creativity. A challenge to step into that world and become a part of it. To continue the story in a way that is both unique to me and plausible enough for my readers to become engaged in.

It is a challenge like those thrown down by my Creative Writing teachers. You know the ones that give you these lovely little topics or scenarios to write from? I still have a few examples of those, going all the way back to middle school. I had the great fortune to be taught by a the same woman twice, in two different grades and in two different schools. Once in middle school and once in high school.

Writing from someone else's canon is an even greater challenge than those little class assignments. To step into the shoes of a beloved and well known character, to portray that character so well that people remark on it, to interpret that character and give him or her more depth, yet still keep that character true to form...That is a wonderful, marvelous challenge to my creativity.

And I must be challenged. I must push my own limits. Stagnation is death, even in fiction. When the reader closes the book and thinks no more on the contents of those pages, then the author has, in part, failed in his or her mission to spark the imagination of his or her readers. Fan fiction, even bad fan fiction, is a sign that an author's work was powerful enough and creative enough to survive those two little words "The End."

If fan fiction writers are not "real writers," then how many famous "authors" are frauds? Tolkien did not dream up elves and dwarves and dragons. Heinlein did not pen the Oz books or Gulliver's Travels, yet he sent his characters to those fictional lands anyway. What of The Chronicles of Narnia ? Did C.S. Lewis plagiarize the Bible in writing this tale?

Certainly Anne Rice did not dream up vampires herself. Nor even did Brahm Stoker. There were tales and legends of such creatures before the man ever set pen to paper. J.K. Rowling didn't dream up witches and wizards out of nothing, nor even the idea of a magical school. But she gave the idea new life and her own unique flavor.

And hell. I write X-Men fiction, primarily. Books, T.V., and the movies. All of these "originals" were collaborative works where several different writers had their fingers in the pot. Stan Lee, Chris Claremont, Jack Kirby...the list is long. Each of these people participated in defining this "canon." Each writer put his own interpretation on the story. Are all those that followed Lee and Kirby nothing more than uncreative, unoriginal hacks? People who can't come up with their own original ideas? Hmm...

'Nuff said.

If you copy somebody else's idea and do nothing or almost nothing to change it then its merely fanfiction.

But if the text you have gotten the ideas from has had nothing or almost nothing changed then it is plagarism.

But if you take somebodies words and ideas and make them your own, it is neither fanfiction or plagarism. It is only fanfiction if the base idea is from the cannon plot of a book/cartoon/manga/television/movie or other.

As Ginevra said Anne Rice surely didn't think up vampires herself, other people have written of vampires before. Its not plagarism or fanfiction because what she has written has got nothing to do with anything else anybody has written. Her vampires might be similar to somebody else's vampires but shes certainly not using anybody else's characters or anybody else plotlines.

WOW! This thread has generated some wonderful debate and creativity on it's own. I will answer the questions as you asked them:

Questions that maybe you can or cannot answer in reply:

Would you feel flattered or angry if someone twisted the plots and character's personalities in ways you did or did not want them to?

As an author with some published works the answer is 'maybe'. Would I HATE any fanfic writers who made characters of mine who were hetero into slash pairings, no... I would be on some level flattered people took the time to actually READ my work and then come up with some story of their own.

Are fan-fic authors "fake writers" who are just not creative or good enough to write their own best-selling original ideas? Maybe their scared of rejection of their own ideas?

Wowsers! ouch! Ah....to answer your question...No. As I said, I am a published author both in fiction and nonfiction. I also write Harry Potter FANFIC and Soprano's FANFIC. I have tons of my own original stories, in fact a whole universe of them. Writing is like ART, to one person a metal sculpture might be deep philisophical art and to another it might be shite. Some folks love classical music, some folks despise it. It's all these differences that make us unique and not mere clones of one another. Any person who picks up a pencil, pen or taps out on a keyboard, whether they are writing poetry, or fanfics, or their own original stories is an artist and creator. Period. I think ANY author, professional or not. Young, old, male or female, writer of trade journals, or best selling horror novels HOPES and prays that the reader LIKES their work. I don't know ANY human being who would WANT rejection, ya know? Personally anyone who posts online, or fanfics realizes their work IS out there for all to see, and so 'rejection' is a real possibility. But I think they as artists and creative folks are brave for laying it on the line like that.

A professional author only has to please their editor and agent. A "fanfic" author has to please alot more folks.

Do original fan-fics even exist anymore? Do original story ideas? Do original authors?

TONS of them, click on the original sections here on AFF. Click on my original section. There are myriads of people on AFF, and other places who write original characters from their own worlds and imaginations. Suprisingly, these "original" stories seem to get the lowest hits and reviews. Weird, eh?

Why do you write fan-fics? Why do you read them?

Ah, now here is a good question. I WRITE fanfics for the same reason I write original stories. Let me give you an example based on my Soprano's fanfics. I write fanfics because maybe I want to write what was never done as an episode, or maybe I want to write about a character because very little was written/shown about them by the original author/TV show. I write what I *wished* would have happened. I started by writing Original stories first and then later on began some fanfics. I started writing original stories because I could not find the kind of novels I enjoyed reading, so I thought...Why not write my own stuff! In time that extended to fanfics. When I do write a fanfic (and this is just me) I don't change anything in the authors/TV shows storyline, nor change anything about their major characters. In otherwords my fanfic characters stay in character and I don't deviate what is known about them in their original form. I just add some back story or adventure to their lives. (Like my Harry Potter fanfic "Broken by the Dark Lord") which ties into and happens around the time of book 5, but yet with some original characters thrown in, however my story has no interference with anything that happened in the book OOTP. So one could read my story and say "Yeah I could see that happening in the background" because it doesn't change who core characters are.

Are fan-fics without the writers consent wrong?

Well now...That is "ify". As one poster pointed out (Forgive me, I forgot your name, the one with the spider avatar! I love your posts by the way!) "Fanfics" have been going on since the time humans could first sing around a fire and tell stories through dance and vocalizations. This whole "fanfic" thing is not a new phenomena at all. I seriously doubt that Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Robert Jordan, JRR Tolken, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, etc... Would even (if they were all alive) be in a position to GIVE consent. Unless one is making a profit from a fanfic and calling it their "own" creation, then it is just someone's tribute or interpretation of another authors work, correct? I have even seen "fanfics' of "fanfics" go figure!

Do fan-fics stop writers from coming up with their own original characters and story lines? And if they don't, do you find authors basing their story lines more and more on their fav animes, shows, and books instead coming up with their own ideas?

See my anwers under 'Are Fanfic writers real writers' and 'why do you write fanfics' in fact just reread my whole post. The answer to this question is all there. And no...Writing fanfics doesn't prevent anyone from coming up with original ideas...After all, half of a fanfic IS original...You are just using known quantitives (characters) but you gotta come up with a story, some OC's, and a plot.

Just my humble opinion, as always.

• 3 weeks later...

Would you feel flattered or angry if someone twisted the plots and character's personalities in ways you did or did not want them to?

I might feel frustrated, but I can't imagine feeling angry about it. If I'm a published author who's gained enough attention to spawn fan-fiction, I imagine I'm feeling so good about myself that minor things will just slide off my back.

Are fan-fic authors "fake writers" who are just not creative or good enough to write their own best-selling original ideas? Maybe their scared of rejection of their own ideas?

I have to admit that I put fan-fiction on a lower level than original fiction, or I did at the beginning. I struggle with that concept. I wouldn't assume that anyone who writes fan-fiction is "not good enough," though. How could you? Perhaps that person just doesn't have the confidence to write their original stories; maybe they need the little boost that comes with using someone else's characters and settings; or like someone said above, they happen to prefer writing fan-fiction.

I have to lift an eyebrow at your implication that all original fiction is potentially "best-selling" or that only "best-selling" writings are worthy of being written or read.

It's possible that some fan-fiction writers are afraid of rejection; oh no, actually I'm sure of that. But I'm also sure that writers of original fiction can be afraid of rejection. I wouldn't impute motives or psychological weaknesses to all writers of any kind; you're sure to go wrong if you do.

Do original fan-fics even exist anymore? Do original story ideas? Do original authors?

My writing teacher, Dorothy, reminded us that "there is nothing new under the sun." By saying so, she encouraged us to write our ideas without fear of their having been addressed before. It seems you are young and haven't yet had a chance to see how the world revolves around and around in the same way every 24 hours, that life goes in cycles, that every life has a sort of pattern. That doesn't make life any less valuable or exciting. Each of us experiences it differently as a unique individual. It's the same with fiction.

I think it's actually better to ask the questions in reverse order. Why did I start reading fan-fiction? Because I was in between volumes of Harry Potter, and I couldn't wait for more story. I was hungry for it. Once I got started, I was sucked in by the fun and fantasy of it and by the exciting search for a really good story. I saw immediately that there were plenty of them (therefore I'm thorougly puzzled by the young woman who can't find any good fan-fiction yet hangs out at a fan-fiction site. There is a saying in there somewhere...).

I write fan-fiction, because in the end I couldn't resist the challenge. Can I do it? Well, as it turns out, I can, and I can get better at it, too.

I've always been a bit rabid about respecting copyrights and other forms of intellectual property regulation. I don't steal music off the Internet; I don't photocopy novels to hand out to my friends. Yet I'm really happy that fan-fiction is accepted and tolerated. It's a form of creativity, giving a special form of experience to the authors and the joy of reading to the readers. I don't think it's wrong at all, and I'm very glad it's not illegal.

Do fan-fics stop writers from coming up with their own original characters and story lines? And if they don't, do you find authors basing their story lines more and more on their fav animes, shows, and books instead coming up with their own ideas?

What a question! "Look in your own heart for the answer," as one character says to another in one of my favorite yaoi mangas, Shout Out Loud. Actually that may be a Japanese expression; I'm pretty sure I've seen that in another manga as well. When you write fan-fiction, does it stop your ideas, or does it crowd your brain with new ideas? Does it give you more courage to venture out or does it fill you with fear? For myself, writing fan-fiction has given me the courage to start writing original fiction. I know at least one very fine writer who is honing her skills writing fan-fiction in preparation for working on an original novel.

This has been a fun debate; but I'm a bit shocked at some of the narrow-minded notions expressed here! I think a few of you need to get out and live life a little more and find out what it's really all about. That will help your fiction, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy... o.o I'll try to explain to the best of my own opinion on this subject. >_>

Questions that maybe you can or cannot answer in reply:

I think I would be both maybe... It really depends on how badly the characters personalities have been twisted. For example: if the character is not written as how they would usually act and it doesn't seem to fit with the story on what is happening, then probably yes. But I don't think I would be terrible angry with it, maybe annoyed and would not read the story.

Hmmm.... it depends, I am a writer and a poet and do my own original work and have been published. But I see fan fic writing fun and just another form of creative writing. I do like to read original work and I can understand the idea of rejection, I have been there. But if there are good writers in fan fic that seem to have talent in writing, I would like to see them do their own original work and not just stay on doing fan fics. Broaden your horizon you know. And it's rare to see good writers now adays.

I think they are out there. But its sometimes hard to find them. It really depends on the person who reads another persons works.

I write fan fics because, as I stated, I enjoy doing it and think it is fun to do on occassion. I read some of them that are well written and have a good plot to them, I just don't read anything. I'm like that with stories that are original and are NOT fan fics too. So I guess you can call me a picky reader. XD;

Yes, I think so. You are taking a writers idea and making it your own and then making money off of someone elses work when published. Now if its just online on the site like AFF and you are not making money off of someones ideas in your story and just doing it for someones enjoyment of reading it, then that is fine. As long as your not publishing your work with someones own creative work in it.

No. Some do, but it depends on how they put it together. If you come up with your own original idea for the story such as taking it out of the box and adding a few things here and there like your own original character or adding a new made up world or soemthing, then it seems to be the authors own creative idea. It really depends on how its being written. I hope my answers help with your questions. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
I do though see fanfiction as creative inspiration because sometimes all it takes is a little bit of fanfiction writing before the writer is able to come up with something more original thats only got a few themes based on something else.

I agree with that. I came up with a kind of romance/adventure story because of one of my smutfics on here, actually. All it took was one reviewer asking me, "I'm just really curious, too. How did Takao come to be? Come on, what's his story?" for me to envision a backstory for a lost catboy shivering in the rain, and how he got to be there. And from there came a plot, and of course romance, though that's a rather new field for me...

As far as the whole "is it wrong?" aspect, I'd have to say no, unless the person was claiming the characters for himself. As long as credit is given to the person who created the fandom and the characters, exploring those characters a little and sometimes making them do things they normally wouldn't is just fine. Then again, to point out what others have already: How do we know what they would and wouldn't normally do?

But that's just my thoughts on it.

Here is my tremendously short response seeing as I have five minutes until class starts.

Fanfiction answers the "What ifs" that people have: What if this character was killed? What if this actually happened in the real world?, etc.

Fanfiction writers have the balls to actually post their "What ifs".

I'll be a good forum poster and answer the questions when I get back

It would depend on the situations the characters were put into.

Many fan-fic writers have some talent for writing. Not always a good talent, but there are those few who turn out to be absolutely awesome writers. A few of these talented writers do have their own books or stories published.

I write when I have an idea, and I enjoy writing. Most of what I write will not end up on this site. I have two up but one of them I am going to take down because it is not going anywhere. I read fan-fic because I enjoy it.

I don't think they are wrong, as long as it does not interfere with how the original writer develops the plot.

I don't think it prevents writers from coming up with their own characters or ideas. The really good writers can make almost anything work. But those really good writers develop very plausible situations and plots.

No, how a character (or person in my case) is totally up to them. I might not always agree with their choices and other times I might be disgusted at the pairing, but I have an ability to click back or not read on.

If they were my own created characters. I’d be slightly amazed by my fan-bases imagination. How a character is perceived is up to the reader. How the reader identifies with a character or a set is up to them leaving a lot of cushion.

Ironically, I've written an original novel, it's not published and I don't expect it to be. I love it, but I'm not going to share it. I don't think I I'm talented enough to even make it close. But I prefer fan fiction as a creative outlet. Like prompts, I don't have to waste time figuring out characters and such when I just want to relax some writing.

That may seem like a cop out. But it’s the truth.

Nothing is original. Everything has been written. One person is always plagiarizing the others thoughts. But, what separates it from being exact copies is how the author chooses to show and reveal the info to the reader. So nothing but the author is original. The first step to being a great writer is learning to look at someone's idea and say "I can do that too! Possibly better!". Even as a child writer you are influenced by media.

This is terribly apparent in Hollywood right now, almost everything is a remake, a sequel, or taken from something already written. (Even before the writers stike.)

I hardly read fanfics, all the fanfics in my fandom have been read or I'm not too fond of the authors style or pairing. Why do I write? For the thrill I get by playing god. :) No. Because and that's about the best answer I can give you without rambling on saying nothing. I just enjoy it, and I don’t need any other reason. I have a story I want to tell, and I will tell it however I see fit. Original authors are generally the same in that anwser.

I'm stricken from this question. If you're asking about the person I am writing about, I've had an opportunity to not get consent but find out the person doesn't care. So, in my case no, there is nothing wrong with what I do. In any case with proper disclaimers and the title of fan-FICTION. I think I’m pretty safe anyway.

Yes and No. No we aren't coming up with characters. But in my case they just share a name and a physical appearance. The personality is totally up to me basically. I think story lines are subjective depending on the fic. After all, if you wrote about the book/movie/anime/etc. No one would read what they already knew. So in essence you have to come up with your own story line. So people will read it.

As for your second question, you have to ask where original authors get their ideas. I've read book and seen movies that are strikingly similar to other media.

Oh Please!

It's called fiction for a reason people. All of it is a bunch of lies made up for entertainment. And the show writers themselves put so many contradictions in the show characters and their backgrounds that there isn't really "one true way" for a character to act.

If that same character were put into different circumstances they might act differently than they do in the show. That is the whole point of fan fiction. Take the character/s you like and put them in different circumstances and see what happens.

Fan Fic writers write for the enjoyment. I'm currently in the midst of my first fan fiction story. I do not write for the readers, or I'd never mess with the hassle. And I darn sure don't do it for the attention. And if any teeny boppers can get in here to ask OMG more smut plz! Then this isn't a place I want to be. Even my LiveJournal is labeled adult materials just to screen out the teeny boppers.

I'm writing this particular fan fic because I got an idea that chewed on my brain until I wrote it down.

I've written poetry for my own enjoyment since I was very young. I've always written on anything handy and anywhere the inspiration strikes.

Real writers write anything they like as long as they write, and they don't care if snobs like you like it or not. They still write what they like. Sometimes I believe it's more like we write what we have to. If an idea takes hold it will not go away until it's been thoroughly explored with written words.

I don't particularly appreciate your snobby post stating fan fic writers aren't real writers, and the reasons they write. You're way off base there. I could write original fiction I suppose. But fan fiction is fun, that's the point of it. If you choose to write original fiction then be my guest, but it doesn't make you any better than me or anyone else who chooses not to do so. Soooo, I'm going to politely invite you to stick your opinion where the sun doesn't shine.

I joined this forum thinking there would be a few good people to discuss writing with. I can clearly see I was wrong. Now I'm disgusted that I even bothered. There are always a few like you who think they're better than anyone else and it's okay to knock people because they don't see things your way. It's a damned good thing that you're not in any important position anywhere in the fiction world, now isn't it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Savaial

I just want to know, what is a real writer?

Have you ever picked up an original fiction book, flipped through it and said to yourself, "What the hell?"

Of course you have.

Is that author still a writer just because he/she convinced a publishing company to buy his/her crap? Did having it in soft or hard copy make it "real" fiction despite how badly it sucked?

On the other view, if someone writes a beautiful story using someone else's characters, are they not real writers even though they entertained you thoroughly?

Writing is one of the most biggoted, elitist fields to break into and now I see it on a fanfiction site, where people are supposed to encourage one another and have a bit of fun.

By the way, I saw it mentioned by someone else, but franchise genre writers are fan fic writers. They get paid for it. Gene Roddenberry certainly didn't write all the Star Trek novelizations. But I guess since these writers weren't ORIGINAL using ORIGINAL CHARACTERS, they aren't writers and they're just being silly. Very well then, but they're rich and published.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Monsterking

not too sound like an troll or anything but here goes

The Whole Point of fanfiction is for you to unleash your creativity in the form of an fanfic!

Of Course this is just how i feel so dont feel like i am being an complete jackass by stating what i did above and besides that is why we put disclaimers on our stories.

Peace Out!

Edited by Monsterking