Click Here!

Midsummer Musings

ApolloImperium

Well, life has been life and another month has passed! It’s been a busy one for me personally between still welcoming larger than normal amounts of new members, family medical issues and work, but hopefully the rest of the summer goes smoothly!

• AFF and Dragon*Con
  • Fan Fiction in the news
  • PayPal Balance & Donations
  • Archive Clean Up & Moderation Status

24 days! There are 24 days to Dragon*Con 2012! I’m excited as all get out! This will be my 3rd year going and 2nd actively promoting the site. Last year I had the pleasure of meeting a handful of our advertisers and adding a few to our line up and hope to expand on that further this year!

Now, I know I’m elusive for an owner of a site as large as this, but like many of you I also have a personal life and family that wouldn’t approve, BUT if you are going to D*C this year, once again a unique opportunity presents itself! If you’ve ever been good at ‘Where’s Waldo’ and think you can find me in a crowd of 40,000+ people, I’ll be there. My handle will be on my badge and there are a few places I’m sure to be found: Kiltblowing – Expect I’ll be the one catcalling somewhere from the front! Some of the writing panels, a couple Star Trek and I love to sit on the Hyatt’s deck to smoke. I’ll also be posting hints and clues throughout my weekend there on AFF’s Facebook/twitter account as well, so good luck!

So this last month has been exciting for me personally and will hopefully bring a positive exposure to the site. PBS posted a video up on

talking about fan fiction and how it has been around through the ages – Granted there are comparisons between Sherlock Holmes fan fiction after Holmes was killed off to ’50 Shades,’ but it was a positive spin which is always good! AFF was also contacted by two different media outlets for information on upcoming articles that again, should help promote the good side of fan fic! Once that is out, I’ll make sure that it’s blasted all over for you guys to see!

That being said, I want to give my thanks to our wonderful community here. That is truly what we have created over the last 10 years. The forum is thriving with more and more members using it to connect with other members, the archive is humming along and we just keep growing. When I put out the call asking for people willing to speak about fan fiction to the journalist, I was amazed at the response. Now, I’ll freely admit that I know a lot of it had to do with wanting our own 15 minutes of fame (Hey, who doesn’t?), but the stories and the passion that was so obvious even in the written word took my breath away on occasion. Are there other archives out there? Absolutely! But I don’t think that any other large, multi-fandom archive has the type of community that we do here and I thank you for being a part of it!

Authors and AFF have a symbiotic relationship – We provide an outlet for your creative works and you provide the works to bring in more members! When I see the number of people, the amount of stories, the outpouring of creativity, it blows my mind every time. Just like you don’t do this for profit, neither do we, so here is my monthly call – Donations are always appreciated! I know the economy is rough, but $5 here or there means the world to us. Right now our PayPal balance is standing at $545.88

Archive Clean up is still on going. DemonGoddess can power through 300+ chapters a day when she’s not having to put out small fires – So this means she’s into M through R in Books with only Peter Pan and Phantom of the Opera remaining!

As for archive Moderation – adding to the staff has really helped! Take a look at our progress here.

Happy Reading & Writing!

Apollo & DG

Yeah, I'll be there too. Love smoking on the Hyatt deck. I actually volunteer for TechOps--the audio/video crew at con who do the video screens and cameras, ect...--every year. I really hope to catch you somewhere between the writing panels and the smoking deck xD. I'll be in a steampunk outfit this year, but on my noncosing time I'm generall in a fedora with buttons and feathers. If you look close enough it has the impressions of skulls and crossbones on it.