Click Here!

Bittersweet October - Fall is upon us

DemonGoddess

Firstly, I'd like to welcome all the new users we're seeing daily! Glad to have you here! Please do familiarize yourself with the Terms of Service and Content Guidelines. This IS a moderated archive.

Moderation Status (2013)

Updated monthly. September report is here.

Dribs, Drabs and Doggy Tales

Current bi-monthly prompt is here

Current monthly prompt is here

Newly published authors

From time to time, we come across in the archive where one of the users is picked up by a publisher. Congratulations!

+sniffles+ We didn't see any this time around.

Proof of age

On occasion, when checking age on a user, staff will come across wildly conflicting information. When this happens, I will email that user, and ask for proof of age. Please understand that if there is no response to this, the user in question will be deleted. This is something I have to do, as this site is, and always has been restricted in use to users aged 18 and over.

Instructions on how to provide proof of age are here.

Story rewrites

As has been stated previously, duplicates of the same story are not allowed. However, we do understand that at times an author looks at something old, and opts to rewrite it. When this is what you want to do, the procedure for it is outlined here. We all understand that authors would love to keep their original reviews, hit counts and the like as well. By my merging the old to the new, you can.

Category requests and creation

There are a few ways where I'll create a new subcategory, upon request.

First (and quickest), request it in the forum. Directions for that are here. You don't need a forum login to make this request.

Request via email, at technicalsupport@adult-fanfiction.org?subject=New Category. The above rules apply to an email request as well.

Name the fandom in your story itself, by disclaiming it properly. I go through the misc. categories about once a week and create categories for stories where there isn't one.

Please note this does NOT apply to pair specific type categories. For those, I need to see links to 5 pre-existing stories, with the pair that you want the category for.

Access bans, and why they happen

Banning a user is not something done on a whim, or whenever. There are certain conditions which make it so this will happen:

• User is underage
    The user will be added to the ban filters, with the ban to expire on his or her 18th birthday. Should an underage user opt to return multiple times, on the 4th return, I will ban you permanently. By continuing to create profiles while underage, you're showing a blatant disregard for a rule which I cannot override, in that users MUST be 18 or older.

• User is a plagiarist
    When plagiarism is proven, whether or not that user ends up Hall of Shamed, that user is banned permanently.

• User is a troll
    We've all seen the trollfic, where someone posts something just to aggravate the users in a particular fandom. When a user has been determined a troll, that user is deleted and banned.

• Spamming
    On occasion, there will be users who create a login to spam the archives with the same story, over and over and over again; or the same review. Those users are deleted and banned. None of us needs to see that crap. The archives and review tables don't need glutted with that nonsense.

• Continued disregard of the ToS and CG, for the same type of infraction. Users such as this are warned several times. If necessary, the next step would be a suspension. If the suspension of use doesn't cure the behavior, the user is removed and banned. After all, when the bulk of the users can read and abide by the ToS and CG without issue, we can't allow just a few to flout the same.

Minor deletions, and why they affect some review counts

Current minors -
This means users who were underage at time of registration, from 1/1/2009 forward. It doesn't matter when we catch you, you're still deleted. When that happens, if the user has left behind review data, that is ALSO deleted.

Old minors -
This means users who were underage at time of registration, from 12-31-08 and before. When these are found, the processing is a bit different, in that I've allowed for the inadequacies from before. There were a few staff who did their jobs, but they were often ignored, which is why there are so many of these.

With an OM, if there are stories attached, all data posted AFTER the 18th birthday is allowed to stay. Rather than just outright deleting all content such a user has added, I go through the review tables as well, and allow the post 18 reviews to stay too. In all honesty, it's much easier to delete these outright, but that means that many reviews that don't need to be deleted, will be. It takes much longer to process something like this, rather than a standard minor deletion.

Funding Status

As always, we appreciate and thank everyone who can donate. It's certainly not required of the users, but every little bit helps!

Tech Bits

Internet Explorer-

I've done everything I can to try and make the old code compatible to the browser. As nothing has worked, the best bet is for users to use something different for adding stories, such as Chrome or Firefox. The archive works in EVERY other browser I've tried, just not IE. At least not easily for IE.

I have managed to make it so that IE 10 and up should work with no issue, and that with IE 9 you still have to use the workaround. Anything less, my guinea pigs informed me that sometimes they experience their computers locking up at worst, and at best it loads only the chapter title and still no text box, with no way to get to it.

There is a workaround, but it only seems to work for Win Vista and up computers, and IE 9 and up. Thing is, if I make it so that everything works with Internet Explorer, then everything BREAKS for all the other browsers. To me, that's not a viable option.

Domain change-

Due to personnel changes over the years, somehow, the site managed to lose control of the original domain. If you think about it, last year from 9-14 through 9-16, we were effectively down, until the domain was renewed (and not by the site). This is why the domain has been changed. The new domain is attached to the site account, and renewable via the hosting account as well. As the person who has the old domain refuses to transfer it back to the site, there was no other choice. Unless of course we wanted to go through absolute and utter hell every year, waiting for it to be renewed. I've gotten everything permanently redirected, in all subdomains. What this means, is if you click an old link, it'll take you to the new one.

Technical support-

As stated previously, please allow up to 48 hours for initial response. I do try to (and usually manage to) answer much sooner than that, but depending upon my real life obligations, usually work stuff, is how long it actually takes me to be able to get to things. It is CRITICAL that when asking for technical support, you provide as much detail as you can. The more details you give me, the better able I will be to find an answer for you.

When given response, please make sure you follow the directions exactly as given. If one takes the time to read the directions, and follows them step by step, the problem being experienced is usually resolved at that point.

Our FAQ section has much useful information. Having said that, if you're still having trouble, you can either email tech support, or post in the tech support forum. It can take me up to 48 hours to respond, due to real life obligations. Please be patient, I WILL get to you as soon as I can.

Please remember that the authors you read do like to hear from you! Leave them a review or two, and let them know how they're doing!

DemonGoddess061

Internet Explorer-

I've done everything I can to try and make the old code compatible to the browser. As nothing has worked, the best bet is for users to use something different for adding stories, such as Chrome or Firefox. The archive works in EVERY other browser I've tried, just not IE. At least not easily for IE.

I have managed to make it so that IE 10 and up should work with no issue, and that with IE 9 you still have to use the workaround. Anything less, my guinea pigs informed me that sometimes they experience their computers locking up at worst, and at best it loads only the chapter title and still no text box, with no way to get to it.

There is a workaround, but it only seems to work for Win Vista and up computers, and IE 9 and up. Thing is, if I make it so that everything works with Internet Explorer, then everything BREAKS for all the other browsers. To me, that's not a viable option.

Hello, where does one find the workaround? (This is totally new news to me, and yes, when I attempted making a "mock" story, the field where the text should go isn't there. I'm on IE9 and Windows 7.)

ETA, uh-oh, when I decided to see what would happen when I edited an existing chapter, I clicked edit, then without asking me to do something else, it said it was successfully edited. o.o I didn't even want to edit anything! Well...the edit date is still the same so obviously it didn't really edit. All right, shutting up now, thanks. :shutup: