Click Here!

Virus problems

DemonGoddess

There are some nasty trojans and other virus types that are affecting XP and earlier machines. Thing is, most of the software is not addressing the issue, as its geared towards Vista now.

If you find a link to Antivirus 2009, do not click it. It's a trojan.

Here is a link to free software, which actually addresses the nasties that I mention above.

avast!

It's free to download and use, simply follow the directions. I already downloaded it earlier, and got rid of a couple RAM viruses nothing else was finding. It's doing a thorough scan on my primary XP machine, so I can actually use the thing again.

Vista has something called Windows Defender which FINDS and destroys these trojans and such that are infesting XP and earlier machines. Be sure to keep the definitions for it updated if you have a Vista machine.

tell me about it. ;)

I have things that I use my XP machine for, like ftp uploading, graphics, and a host of other things. Still running the scan on it since yesterday (it's got over 200GB of data to scan, so I'm not surprised it's taking so long) which means that I still have to wait to do the forum upgrade and a few OTHER things I use that machine for. ;)

I certainly wouldn't modify and/or upload modified files from an infected computer...wouldn't be a good thing at all...

Guest MortiferLascivio

I think I may already be having problems with this; my computer completely, randomly shut down on me yesterday and I have no idea why. It's also running really oddly today. My anti-virus isn't picking anything up, so I may try that software you linked to here to see if it does.

You getting any kind of weird illegal function memory calls, where it calls to a program you don't recognize? That's what I was seeing, as well as general hardware performance problems.

It took about 30 hours, but the scan finally finished yesterday on my machine :). 30 hours to do over 260GB of data isn't too awful bad, but jeez....

In the process, the program I linked to found 3 trojans resident in the RAM, 1 that found its way into the vidRAM, and 15 on my drive itself (plus lotta adware and malware that wasn't quite viruses). My other program was just not finding those nasties. At least my machine is no longer lagging, and doing weird things with the vid anymore :D, now that the scan is finished.

I'm running three different operating systems in my home now, 98SE, XP and Vista home. I put the new antivirus on the xp system, now I'm putting it on the 98SE. Was running a virus scan on it with current anitvirus and it just randomly restarted so hopefully this new program working with my kaspersky (which has been excellent thusfar) will find all the nasties in my comps

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.