Click Here!

Funny titles or more accurate titles?

Deadman

I just can’t seem to stop having ideas for some reason. But I’m running into a bit of a problem.

I’ve been thinking about the title for this new idea and I’m not sure which way to go. Whether I should go with a kinda funny title or a more accurate title. For context, it centres around a play on the main character’s name. One is a bodily function and the other is a physical action. If I go with the bodily function, people might expect certain things in the story. But if I go with the more accurate title, it won’t necessarily be as funny and people might be less inclined to read it.

What do you think?

6 minutes ago, Deadman said:

I just can’t seem to stop having ideas for some reason. But I’m running into a bit of a problem.

I’ve been thinking about the title for this new idea and I’m not sure which way to go. Whether I should go with a kinda funny title or a more accurate title. For context, it centres around a play on the main character’s name. One is a bodily function and the other is a physical action. If I go with the bodily function, people might expect certain things in the story. But if I go with the more accurate title, it won’t necessarily be as funny and people might be less inclined to read it.

What do you think?

Sending hugs :hug:your direction, titles can be the bane of authors.  (readers should feel lucky it’s not “TBD” all the way through...)

More seriously, I’d suggest simply using that “new idea title” temporarily until you figure out what you actually want to do.  I typically start with a temporary “working title” until I get a ways into the chapters, when I can refine it later.  Maybe the main character’s name, or some other central theme, or a key word/phrase.  (ie, for Jefferey, it’s the main character.  For Repair Guy, it was a spin on a common trope.)

11 hours ago, Deadman said:

What do you think?

The way I title anything I write, is with some type of reference to the story or some part of it's content.

I like to give the reader as many hints as I can, about what my story will entail. I personally believe, that a title which is in some way faithful to the story’s content, will garner you at least, some good grace with a reader, even if, for whatever reason, they choose to avoid reading that story.

However, I don't see any reason why an accurate title, can't also include a bit of humor.

Maybe you should try 'playing around with' the two potential titles, just to see if it's possible to add whatever you feel is missing from them.

But if you absolutely can't bear to change them, take a look at both and then pick the one that 'feels' best to you in that moment; As they say, the first response is usually the correct one.

8 minutes ago, WarrenTheConey said:

The way I title anything I write, is with some type of reference to the story or some part of it's content.

I like to give the reader as many hints as I can, about what my story will entail. I personally believe, that a title which is in some way faithful to the story’s content, will garner you at least, some good grace with a reader, even if, for whatever reason, they choose to avoid reading that story.

However, I don't see any reason why an accurate title, can't also include a bit of humor.

Maybe you should try 'playing around with' the two potential titles, just to see if it's possible to add whatever you feel is missing from them.

But if you absolutely can't bear to change them, take a look at both and then pick the one that 'feels' best to you in that moment; As they say, the first response is usually the correct one.

Another option is to mask part of it… so it could be “Hermione (Censored) Harry”

21 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

Sending hugs :hug:your direction, titles can be the bane of authors.  (readers should feel lucky it’s not “TBD” all the way through...)

More seriously, I’d suggest simply using that “new idea title” temporarily until you figure out what you actually want to do.  I typically start with a temporary “working title” until I get a ways into the chapters, when I can refine it later.  Maybe the main character’s name, or some other central theme, or a key word/phrase.  (ie, for Jefferey, it’s the main character.  For Repair Guy, it was a spin on a common trope.)

Yeah, I put in a temporary title just so I could write down the idea. But I’m still not sure about what the final title is.

10 hours ago, WarrenTheConey said:

That’s part of the issue I’m having with it. The funny title could be a reference to what’s happening in the story. But it’s not something that I necessarily feel good about potentially putting in the story. Not a line I want to cross. However, I do like giving a bit of fun in titles.

10 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

Another option is to mask part of it… so it could be “Hermione (Censored) Harry”

That’s an interesting idea although not sure if I want to go in that direction.

55 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

It’s “Return of the Deadman Chronicles!” :smartass:

Unless you’re saying that I’m annoying you with the endless questions.