Click Here!

Archive Search Function Often Doesn't Work

Guest Flesh_Seraph

Guest Flesh_Seraph

Since I arrived here I've been struggling to find authors that I would like to read- people who like the same things I do. One of the things hindering me is that I'm having a tough time getting the archive search function to return any results. Using the menus provided I choose my options and type in phrases, but the results vary widely.

Most often, I start the search and I get a blank response. It just takes me to a page with no returned results and no error message.

Rarely, I get a "no results found" message or I get actual results returned.

The search function is of enhanced importance for people like me, for whom the fetish is more important than the particular fandom. Stories are organized by fandom first and fetish second here, and so it's of increased utility to me to be able to search for terms like "M/F", "oral" or "humil".

Anyway, as I said, the archive search function almost never works for me. Since nobody really seems bothered by this, I assume it's just something unfixable that everyone knows about and just ignores. It's also very possible that I'm just doing something wrong...but the nature of the results page I keep seeing (no results and no error message, no feedback of any kind) leads me to believe that isnt the case.

Best wishes,

- FS

The problem with the current search function, is that it was designed with no bigger than a 200mb database in mind. That being the case, the current database (6GB in size) simply overwhelms it. We have a replacement for it, that WILL work with a large db, but so far it doesn't seem to want to play well with the old software. It WILL work with what we're putting together, but that is months away from even being available to beta test.

Make sure when you're searching, you check the check box for mySQL boolean search mode, or the results will not be narrowed down at all.

Guest Flesh_Seraph
We have a replacement for it, that WILL work with a large db, but so far it doesn't seem to want to play well with the old software. It WILL work with what we're putting together, but that is months away from even being available to beta test.

Well, now I'm excited to see what you all have planned.

- FS

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.