Click Here!

Need some help here.

Solaris

In this story, I have a character that I threw in jail for not talking about how he knew about something.

The thing is I want to drag this scene out for a few days.

How can I do that without making it seem like I am?

Do I make the character refuse to say anything or just try to confuse them by talking about something else?

Beth

You could make him purposely stubborn, and use "cop shows" as a reference for how interrogations work. Having never been in one, I'm not sure if they are actually accurate. Usually, in the shows, the cops come in, ask a few questions, and leave the person alone to get them to crack.

The coppers could ask him a question, and he could provide a flippant response (something that has absolutely nothing to do with what they are asking, or something that is an outright lie). They'd just leave him there.

However, it will always seem to be drawn out. The best you could do would be to leave a lot of room for the criminal's introspection.

The coppers could ask him a question, and he could provide a flippant response (something that has absolutely nothing to do with what they are asking, or something that is an outright lie). They'd just leave him there.

However, it will always seem to be drawn out. The best you could do would be to leave a lot of room for the criminal's introspection.

I think an introspection could be the best route to take with your story. It will give you an opportunity to further develop your character and explore his/her mind, past memories, wishes, desires, etc. Also, it's a good opportunity to craft the character's voice if you're writing in first person.