Who do you focus on?

DarkInuLord

Which do you end up focusing on?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. When writing.

• I focus on the male, normally.
    • I focus on the female, normally.
    • I try to keep them both equal.

Well this came to me when I reread one of my own stories. I noticed that I generally focused more on the female's thoughts and actions, rather than the male's. This wasn't really intentional, I think that I did it on accident because I realize, well, more women read fanfiction than men....

So, do you find yourself focusing on one gender in your stories? Or do you try to keep their "screen time" about equal?

I've written first person male and female,

third person omniscient, third person limited omniscience male and female.

It depends on the story and who i envision as the narrator. First person or third, the story still has at least a notional tale teller. Or at least a point of view.

So far all my stories are male/male slash. I give both characters "equal time" because a) it makes for longer, better, hotter sex scenes and :D I think it's important to focus on what's going through each person's head because it helps to establish the dynamic.

I try to keep them equal, but I'm probably guilty of focusing on the female more since I've only experienced sex as a woman myself. :D Some scenes make more sense if they're focused mostly on one character, such as a scene I wrote where a male character who regularly had one-night stands slept with a woman who had only had one partner before him. The sex was nothing terribly special to the guy and it was practically mindless for him, so I didn't focus on his thoughts much. The woman struggled with her conscience more and I wrote the scene mostly from her perspective.

Guest Valgonn

Well, my current WIP is focusing more on the female's POV, but that's because she's a main character. This is my first adult fic...but with all my normal fics I tend to focus largely on the main character as well. Not always the main of the story, but at least for that chapter. In some instances, like my WIP, it's all about the main of the series.

Guest robotribbon

I like to try to write from both perspectives. Gives me a bit of a challenge to write in different voices, and I think it ads a dynamic to the story because it gives the reader insight 2 pieces of the puzzle instead of one. Of course, writing from one is fun too - leaves you guessing what the other is thinking.