Click Here!

Subcategories scheduled for deletion

In the site news section, for the archive, everyone was made aware that the challenge/request, beta, searching for a fic, rants/journals subcategories are all slated for deletion.

I've already done this JUST to the anime zone. The end result was what I expected, which was faster script execution, less queries, better overall load time, and a 400mb savings in the archive db.

I'm going through the other spots I've already recategorized to do the same. I will be doing this concurrently with the recategorization of all the rest.

Then, it's on to launching the actual CLEANUP of the thing.

I want to be certain that all who visit the forums are aware that those categories will not exist for much longer. There others, little oddball things in different zones, but most of that I'm actually merging into a different category.

In the site news section, for the archive, everyone was made aware that the challenge/request, beta, searching for a fic, rants/journals subcategories are all slated for deletion.

********************************************************************************

Since I only joined the Forum Friday, though I have been registered at AFF.net fan fiction for, quite a while, how was I or any of the readers and writers I know (they aren't registered on the forum either) supposed to see any of your announcements?

You have already eliminated the easy way to find OFC/MFC stories. Since you say 'searching for a fic' is slated to be deleted, how am I supposed to find the fics I read and any new fics in the Snape/OFC category I love? Currently there are 106 pages listing 5173 stories, do you expect me or anyone else to wade through all of that to find a specific story? What do we do when we have a story title but don't remember the author's name? At my age that kind of thing happens a lot both because of aging and because of memory problems caused as a side effect from medications I must take.

Instead of streamling the categories for ease of programming why not construct a program that includes the features we all use, need, and love that will function with the ease you want? I'm sure it can be done. The space program at NASA had the sophistication in 1969 to write the programs that sent men to the moon. That programming and coding is considered very primative and crude 39 years later and now they are planning to resume the venturs to the moon and are even planning to send astronauts to Mars within my lifetime which means within the next 15 years or so. If they can write sophisticated all encompassing programs and code to get a space ship to the moon now, I know that a program can be written for a fan fiction archive that will encompass all those features and be able to run with ease.

Trickie Woo

personally, I think that the gundam wing archive only needs yaoi, yuri, het, and general. I don't know about the other fandoms, but subcategories like AU aren't necessary. People keep uploading their fics to those four categories even if it is us AU. There are a ton of AU's in the yaoi section, but only one in the AU section. As for the pairings, there are only four fics any of them and it is just Heero/Duo. I don't think its necessary for the pairing categories to be there because once again, very little people seem to be using it and a lot of people just write the pairings in the summaries like the good little doobies that they are. I don't think that any of the deleted categories were necessary as we have sections in the forums for the same thing. Though, deleting the 'looking for a fic' category might make the number of people posting searches into the fic archives increase, which would be just annoying. Still, I have absolutely no problems with the subcategories that have been deleted. Keep up the good work ^^

Part of what you're seeing is people either haven't moved their stories, or don't know how to. That's no problem, since that's the next thing that we'll be getting to, is moving everything around to where things have been set UP for them.