Click Here!

Why we should lie to ourselves

greenwizard

I came across this article and thought I would share. Apparently I'm depressed because I have an accurate view of the world. I have to admit that seeing things as I do doesn't help. I don't know... maybe he has a valid point.

http://men.msn.com/articlees.aspx?cp-docum...8&GT1=32001

I don't know, I have a very nihilistic view of the world, but I'm not so depressed about it. Humans are volatile creatures to which 'everyone is basically good' does not apply, but I like that about people. It's when people go around in an unpopable bubble of happiness that I start to worry. Those are the people that think that rape and stalking don't exist, the homeless are there because of their own incompetance, and that God will make everything better. I have no faith in humanity, so I rely on myself to make things better. Sure, the news depresses me sometimes, I know that by tomorrow, there will be something even worse on... I feel more comfortable with living in reality than creating a pretty lie, but that's just me, which is probably why The Mist is one of my favorite movies. It's not a happy movie, but it's the truth, people are fundamentally insane. The world hasn't changed in the last hundred years and it's not going to anytime soon, but I'd rather deal with that reality, then the dream that every one gets what they deserve and that we should leave things up to God to sort out, that's kind of like taking drugs to not deal with your problems. You may be high now, but your problems have never gone away. I know, I'm ranting, but I really did just finish watching the Mist... I guess lying to yourself could be less stressful, but I'm one of those people that likes the darkness just as much as the light.

Apparently I'm depressed because I have an accurate view of the world. I have to admit that seeing things as I do doesn't help. I don't know... maybe he has a valid point.
Or maybe he's deep into a defense mechanism and his way of coping is to try to convince the rest of the world that he's got a handle on things.

I dunno.

How could you tell the difference between an accurate worldview that depresses and an inaccurate worldview that depresses?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.