Click Here!

Is this an insane/idiotic story idea?

So I'm currently writing (not posted/published yet) a story about a young man being given to a Capo of the Italian mafia in order to help forgive a debt his adopted parents owe. But the young man isn't exactly human, he's half merman.

I like taking pretty common plots and giving them a bit of a supernatural twist to try and make it into something original. However I can see that sometimes that would just be kind of weird and stupid. I've only written about 23 pages and before I write anymore, is this a bad/insane/stupid idea?

To be very honest, it is all in how you tell the story you have in mind. Ideas are never truly bad so long as the stakes for your character remain high enough to force the character to make choices and to overcome the problems presented to them in the story. If you have a good sense of character, and an unusual plot to share, then go ahead and write it out. IF it remains weak and uninteresting, scrap it. Either way, do continue writing. Good luck with your writing adventures.

You're quite welcome. Good luck on coming up with a dazzling tale of supernatural beings. I know there are actual published authors writing about shape shifter dragons who play at people and other critters who play human out there, so you might even find a niche for readers who love it.

• 2 weeks later...

It would only be stupid if that character then went on to act like a boring human without utilising the clear advantages of being part merman during events that unfold in the story. Given your description, I think you're safe from this. But too often is being half-a-something used as little more than a special-snowflake excuse to be young and pretty forever or some other boring bullshit.

This idea has some cool potential. He could piss them off and they could cement-foot him into a river but naturally he can breathe underwater for long enough to hop his way to safety along the riverbed or something like that.

Edited by Dean_Wax

• 1 month later...

It could be quite interesting, depending on how you handle it. If you're not sure a scene or situation is working out the way you want it to, just ask someone--or a few people--for help. Reveal as much or as little as you choose, but realize that the help you get could be affected by how much you say. *thinks a bit more* Also, try to ask people who are open-minded, but (if they don't bring it up first or cover it in their response) see if they can/will look at the positive and negative possibilities and how to avoid the worst outcomes.

• 4 weeks later...

It would only be stupid if that character then went on to act like a boring human without utilising the clear advantages of being part merman during events that unfold in the story. Given your description, I think you're safe from this. But too often is being half-a-something used as little more than a special-snowflake excuse to be young and pretty forever or some other boring bullshit.

This idea has some cool potential. He could piss them off and they could cement-foot him into a river but naturally he can breathe underwater for long enough to hop his way to safety along the riverbed or something like that.

I agree that the part-this or part-that thing can be under utilised, but with creativity, that's not an issue. Also I really like your cement shoes scenario.