Click Here!

Problem with Speech Marks in Story

Red Ghost

Naruto Archive (Maybe just my story)

I seem to have a problem with my story that the punctuation marks are missing and instead replaced by this symbol: AE€ or something like this symbol.

I upload my stories in a text format from open office and I don't see them then or even when I'm signed in. It only occurs quite randomly, what I don;t understand is how or why they pop up. The solution I have found to it is by restarting the internet browser and opening the story again at which point the problem resolves itself but I would just like to know exactly what the problem is so if it is on my behalf I can fix it. Also, I wasn't sure as to whether this problem was technical or not.

Here is a link that leads to the story thought I don't know if the problem is still there, it occurs randomly:

http://naruto.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600105221

Any more details needed then I would be happy to share, any solution to this?

Edited by Red Ghost

I recommend not using the text upload. Instead, use copy and paste. It doesn't seem to have the same issues with stray oddities.

You can use AFF's edit story feature to fix them. I know it works with the / mark that ends up in titles when trying to use an apostrophe.

Edited by pittwitch

I tried copy and pasting and the problem is avoided but then a new one occurs, there seems to be massive gaps in between the paragraphs and sentences. If I could resolve that than maybe i could just copy and paste the story, that would be much easier.

But I don't think there is a way to reduce the space in between paragraphs in the edit option... is there?

That can be done in the word processor program itself - instead of double spacing by using the enter key, set your paragraph formatting to allow for a 12-point spacing after the end of the paragraph.

To fix it in your current uploads, you will have to manually delete the extra line after each paragraph.

The problem isn't in the word processor, I checked the alignment and paragraph settings many times. It's not even when I'm typing on this site, it's when the actual story copied and pasted onto this site that the problem occurs and the editing software doesn't give an option for paragraph spacing.

You can't tell that the problem is there until you open the story and then you see the large spacing but if I start typing on this site then the problem doesn't occur. It happens when I import my story via copy paste but I may try another method and see if that works.

Okay, don't worry about it anymore, I got it all fixed so it's all working now. Everything should be fine from here on in.

Thanks for the help:

@pittwitch

@DemonGoddess061

@RogueMudblood

You guys really got some things sorted for me. :2tubs:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.