Click Here!

So I'm Writing A Book...

Well, my girlfriend's younger friend. (She's like 15... =_=) just got a book published..... Dot, dot, dot.... Seriously, how could this nearly illiterate 15 year old girl get a mature (Not adult) book PUBLISHED?

Anyways, I guess I'm really spiteful, or at least I think that's the word, and I'm writing a book in hopes of having it published... Also, make a bit of money on the side...

I have the plot all written out... A full page of just the basic summary...

I'm hoping it will be somewhat original, for a vampire romance/tragedy story, I know that I've never read one with this story line. The thing is though.... My girlfriend's friend, she was born into a fairly rich family, I mean... They have a swimming pool, three story house, CARS (That's plural) and uh... Well, she has had piano, violin, and singing lessons since she was a kid, and plays at those fancy places... SO SHE KNOWS PEOPLE.

D: I need to find a publisher, it's going to suck.... Now that I think about this, maybe this should be in the personal rant section.... Oh well. xD

It sucks doesn't it. Either her family knows someone, or they paid to have it published. While doing my own research I found a publishing company that likes to help new authors. They only charge a percentege of publishing costs and they hook you up with editers and stuff. I wish I could give you the name of the publishing company, but I lost it ;) I had it bookmarked on a computer that died on me. But there is a little hope at least...

• 5 weeks later...

my friend is planning on becoming a publisher and since my cousin is a manga-ka, he knows tons of publishers, so mwahahahaha ^^ that's the only reason why I'm not freaking out about my novel right now. But, seriously, just keep trying. Hell, even if I didn't have those sort of connections, there's no way I'd give up!

I have been trying to get my own book published for the last 13 years.

I am actually thinking about going with self publishing as the big publishers are not interested in my Arabian Sheikh story.

So you might have to go on the self publishing side to get it published.

Beth

Firstly, Before thinking about publication, finish the story. 99% of started stories are never finished. You should not query publishers and/or agents without a finished project. And by finished I mean rewritten, edited and polished then put in a trunk for three months before repeating the tidying process.

Secondly, never give up hope. This book may not be the one to make it, nor the next. But the more we write the more we grow as writers. I got so far as to meet an agent and have rewrites requested when i was 18. Even when they eventually turned me down they asked to see my next project. That was two years ago and the project they wanted to see though drafted, I am not happy with and it will stay in the graveyard of my computer until I can think of a solution. My point is, if you persevere you will get there.

I've been researching the book market since I was 13, learning the ins and outs of submissions, learning what houses like what genres. The novel I mentioned above that garnered interest was my third completed MSS. That doesn't count the stories that hit 10,000words and fizzled off. My first two MSS will never again see the light of day. I even find the third one hard on the eyes when I look back at it. But that is because I'm still writing and improving, a process that will never end unless I let it. Now if only I could come up with endings to go with all the stories Ive started.

• 1 month later...

Is it a good book? Or even passable? I've seen some good stuff written by teens (better than I did at that age, certainly). Even if her family has relations with the publisher, they would not publish just anything for the sake of doing a favor (I hope).

Guest KristinaDalton

I work as an editor. Anyone with questions or needing advice may contact me.

StonehedgeEditor@aol.com

We had to close submissions to get caught up, but I would be happy to help.

KD

Is it a good book? Or even passable? I've seen some good stuff written by teens (better than I did at that age, certainly). Even if her family has relations with the publisher, they would not publish just anything for the sake of doing a favor (I hope).

Her grammar makes me want to shove a plot bunny down her throat until she stops breathing. >> It's really... Bad...

• 1 month later...

It's not that bad writers get published sooner... It's just that writing becomes harder the better you are at it. So people who suck at it can write for weeks on end while people who are good at it experience writers blocks and such. This doens't mean the fact I'm no longer capable of writing means I'm the bestest writer evurrr. That's just fucked up.

No but it does seem to fit. :3 Little Sesshomaru fangirls took over the Inuyasha fandom, and they're pumping out stories by the dozens, while experienced writers for the fandom have almost stopped writing.

My favorite authors/authoresses have stopped writing all together, I haven't sen a new story from any of them in months.