Click Here!

Writing Scenes... Help!

Becca Star

Currently I'm writing a fic and I've come to a part that I need to write a fight scene… I think it's OK but I want to know what other's have to say in regards to tips on how to write a great fight….

I'm not going to put up mine because I don't want anyone to write it for me… I just want some tips… How to portray a good fight scene WITH dialogue that isn't boring… And make it flow and feel natural…

Can anyone help me…. Please????

OH… And I'm stuck on a meditation scene… One of the characters is trying to teach the other how to properly meditate… I myself am a beginner and don't know much about meditation…

What guidelines are there to writing a scene like this?? Or any helpful tips besides research -which isn't helping me much- that I can use to finish this chapter and FINALLY post again?

I can visualize both… But getting it out of my head and onto paper is driving me nuts!! PLEASE HELP!

If you have tips for both or just one of the scenes please post them… I'll even give you credit in my fic!!!

Please help me… ~begs with puppy eyes~

Much Love,

Becca

Edited by Becca Star

I guess it depends on what kind of fight scene you're talking about, not too many of mine go into fist fights, but when it comes to dialogue for those scenes you can't go too wrong with catty remarks. Unless it's the kind of thing where it's really been coming for a long time and the characters know each other well enough to where all they have to do is mention things from the past that only further anger their opponant into continuing the battle.

Beyond that I'll have to think...

Well the fight scene is more like battle training between two friends... Later on there will bemore intense fights and combats which I'll probably need a lot of help with...

I guess I would have to post up what I have to get any help with that scene...

~sighs~

Are there any stories I can look to for a good example or anything like that? Any suggestions?

Edited by Becca Star

I should help... I wrote fighting game fanfictions, after all.

What kind of fighting are you trying to portray? I assume it's barehand martial arts... I'd suggest checking out fanfics for fighting video games like Street Fighter or Tekken. A good start would be fanfiction.net, but I can't yet sort the good ones...

Or try Hiei's works (www.hieihome.com). A lot of his 'fics have fighting scenes. Among Hiei's works, I'd suggest 'Kage no Mai' (most chapters have fighting scenes) and 'Ibuki Stories'.

Hope this helps...

Another silly suggestion would be to rent old Kung Fu movies and learn their 'YOUR KUNGFU SO BAD' and 'YOU KEEL MY MASTAH' lines :hug:

Another silly suggestion would be to rent old Kung Fu movies and learn their 'YOUR KUNGFU SO BAD' and 'YOU KEEL MY MASTAH' lines :hug:

LOL... thankz... I'll have to do that...

I think you can be fairly creative with the meditation, as there isn't just one way to meditate. Here is a description of one meditation session:

Breathe slowly in and out for 10 breaths.

Imagine blue air coming in, red air going out, in order to promote calm.

If I am feeling ill or troubled, I imagine a gold light surrounding me as I meditate, or a white light for protection.

I take an image to focus on for my meditation and keep it in my mind. The image is often of a natural object, like a flower, rock, or tree. I keep an image in my mind as I continue to breathe.

Each time stray thoughts enter my mind, I let them drift away.

If the image evaporates, I bring it back.

When I feel I have achieved that I want, I finish the meditation with 10 breaths; with each breath I may repeat a phrase or sentence that represents an attitude or hope I want to cherish.

I open my eyes.

Meditation position: I usually meditate in a sitting position, with my hands on my knees. If I want to receive energy, I may place my palms up and imagine energy or light flowing into my palms.

I really think you can imagine it in other ways; but I hope these images give you some ideas to go on.

I'm really glad you asked the fight question; I hate writing fights, and I need lots of help! :hug:

Thank you for the meditation help... your discription is really going to come in handy... I actually think The writer's block is fading away! WOO! lol

You can always check out a couple of my original fics as I write alot of fights and violence. But the best thing is to be descriptive without disrupting the flow... Example...

"His fist slammed into her with a sickening thud."

"He delivered a round-house kick that connected solidly with the man's jaw sending him sprawling onto the dry earth."

"With a series of well placed jabs he knocked his opponet down and then dropped heavily astride his chest."

Just be descriptive without disrupting the energy and flow of the fight scene.

If you're adding words you can do something like,

"You piss me off!" he growled as he lunged at him.

or

"Vendetta is mine!" the tall man hissed with anger as he grabbed his enemy in his large hands.

Hope this helps ya! As I said, click on a couple of my short original stories since I mostly write alot of action stuff.

Warmly,

Yay! I like your examples and I'll be sure to check out your work!

I feel that evil writer's block running away in fear! BWAhAHAHAHA!

lol

• 3 weeks later...

Whenever I'm writing a fighting scene, whether extremely violent and emotionally charged to a simple training session, I try to cover all of the senses. There’s not only the pain and the dialogue but a sense of smell, whether from surroundings or the other person, a sense of taste whether it’s sweat or blood or a dry, nervous mouth. I also think it’s important to describe it rather vividly-- blood splattered on a cheek or a tear in the clothing, how hard a character is breathing or the dilation in their eyes. The more real and human it is, the more grit you can describe, the better it seems to come across, at least to me.

I think people usually either smooth over a fighting scene too much or try to go too much into dialogue, but I always think it’s best to describe the mood and the thought behind the fight rather than the words thrown during it. That, and unless the fight is extremely casual or extremely emotional, there usually aren’t too many words, and the words you say have to count and mean a lot. I think the best I can say is don’t throw dialogue around too much and make it useless or messy-- sometimes less is more.

(and I apologize if I’m not making too much sense-- I’m new to the forum and awake despite it being two in the morning and me having a test at ten XD I hope something I said helps, and sorry I don’t have much to touch on meditation)

Try watching a fighting movie like the Matrix, or even an action movie like Transformers. All those people going "HEYARGH!" and leaping about like idiots will give you good ideas. Or play a good fighting game. Once you've got the visuals in your head, it's time to write them down. I know that's how I do things like that.