Click Here!

Secretary of explaining stuff.

Aysha c.c.

Do you have technology, science, even magic, or other abilities in your story that you need a convincing explanation of how it works? I am very good at coming up with just that, and I am offering my help to you.

All you need to do is tell me whether it is technology, science, or magic, ect. Then tell me what it does and I will tell you how or why.

This can even apply to alien plants and animal physiology.

I'm offering because I think it will be fun, so post a reply and see what I can come up with. :D

Edited by Aysha c.c.

• 7 months later...

Hey, Aysha. How familiar are you with the X-men? I'm drafting some mutant OC's, and their powers are...tricky. Mutation isn't so much science or tech (ps, not to flame but your computer seems to have autocorrected science into since. just fyi), but it isn't so much magic, even though it might look like that. Might fall under 'alien physiology'.

Mainly I just want to have a reasonable explanation for a character who can teleport other things (not himself, he has to be out of the field or whatever), but must choose 'living' or 'inanimate' not both. (I.E. he could send you to China, but you'd show up naked, or put a spy cam in a secure location, but no spy with it). It might be I'm making this too hard, but it's moderately important that his power has massive flaws. It'd be a bit too Deus ex Machina for him to have Nightcrawler-like abilities. Plus I really want to put in a scene where he saves the principal couple from certain doom, but they wind up buck-ass nude.

Hello, ChrisCross, first let me start by apologizing for not seeing your post sooner. To be honest I had given this thread up for dead a long time ago. However that dose not mean that I am unwilling to help someone that comes asking, in fact it makes me quite happy.

Second telling someone about a mistake IS NOT FLAMING!!! Don't let the lazy frauds out there that just want a pat on the back for shitty work tell you otherwise. Thank you for pointing out my mistakes, that just might explain why this thread never got off the ground. (For an explanation of "Lazy frauds read: Enough is Enough! )

Now on to you mutant's power: There are several factors we should tack into account; the age of your mutant for one, I.E. how experienced is he with his power, second How powerful is your mutant? What is the maximum amount of mass he can teleport, The more mass he teleports the more energy he would have to expend. I actually like your concept for this power he or she has. I think the explanation you are looking for is simply complex (LOL) or rather it is simply the complexity of what he is teleporting that makes the difference. First of all inorganic, small objects would require less energy and mental focus, lager more complex objects would require a great deal more energy and mental focus, and the more individual objects he/she is trying to move and the distance he/she is trying to move the would increase the strain.

So you have to ask your self. "How much mass can my mutant move, from something the mass of a cat or the mass of an aircraft-carrier. Also it might be a good idea to decide how much moving a given mass a given distance will fatigue your mutant, but don't set the limit to high or to low, because you could find yourself constrained by that in the future.

Also if you want you can further restrain the power of your mutant by requiring him/her to have a certain level of understanding of the object(s) being moved I.E. what it is made of, how it is put together/its anatomy, and so on.

Ether way factoring in all, most or even some of these variables you should be able to get away with just about anything you want, even making it to where sometimes the people end up nude and sometimes they don't.

As for why he/she can't move his/herself, its because he/she is the anchor using his/her energy to push the object(s) through subspace/hyperspace/wormhole whatever you want, and whenever he/she tries he/she gets thrown onto his/her ass with varying degrees of ouch factor, because it its impossible to be both pusher and pushee.

I hope this helps you out, and it would be great if you let me know.

Edited by Aysha c.c.

Thanks!

This really helps. I'd been banging my head against walls over the issue about not teleporting himself, but your 'bootstrap' explanation really does make sense. Add in the complexity issue, (living organisms are exceptionally complex all the way down to dna), and he works out perfectly! It also would allow for the fact I'm kinda wanting him to try to save a group of five, but Steve Rogers and my OC wind up alone. They just 'fell' out of the teleport a little early.

if you want to check the fic out so far, its Secret Bit of Right From Wrong, under the Marvel 'Verse> Non X men Movies> Avengers

Thanks!

This really helps. It also would allow for the fact I'm kinda wanting him to try to save a group of five, but Steve Rogers and my OC wind up alone. They just 'fell' out of the teleport a little early.

This will work if your teleporting mutant is distracted mid transmission, by an attack, or something.

You are welcome, I was happy to help. If you need anything else, you need only ask.

Edited by Aysha c.c.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.