Click Here!

Metroid - the Bergman Affair feedback, comments, and workshopping

HunterOpera

Enjoy it?

No threat to, or offence to you, but I'd smash your keyboard if I could.

Lawl. Why? If you don't like it than don't read it. Must be hard, you know, being forced to read stuff you don't enjoy. What is this, college? Trollolol

Ahh yes, a tale to reasure all fuckless wonders they are not alone in their hatred of all those mean women who find them tactless and creepy. ASSHOLES CAN WIN!!! YEAH MOM'S BASEMENT DWELING ME!

Are you the same colorful individual who left a string of oh so entertaining replies in my FMC discussion thread a while back? AM I NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THAT NOT WHY I'M HERE?!

On a serious note, looking forward to your TR entry, Hunter, but might I add that I'm still waiting on that Bergman Affair sexy times?

Edited by MorbidFantasy

I read the first chapter. Iwas responding to FAN, not Hunter.

And who the fuck are you?

I am legend, I am myth. I am that which goes bump in the night. I am... YOUR PERVY UNCLE!

Ok didn't follow the train of conversation, so thought you were talking to Hunter. Disregard my previous trollolols.

Guest Guest

Yes...

threatening to smash a keyboard over someone expressing an opinon is MUCH more inline with a Trump fan....

I will now go in the corner and think of my words.

HYPOCRACY... shit.

Guest Anonnn

Just found 'Reins of the Tomb Raider', definitely looking forward to more.

Question: regarding your inspiration:

am very much taking inspiration for this from 'Lara Croft in Hard Labour,' which was written by Nimrod

Do you know where to find this? I'm huge fan of Nimrod's stuff, and unfortunately his stuff is all over the place. Also never saw a Lara Croft one. For the Hard Labor one the closest was one written by Marcus.

Lawl. Why? If you don't like it than don't read it. Must be hard, you know, being forced to read stuff you don't enjoy. What is this, college? Trollolol

Are you the same colorful individual who left a string of oh so entertaining replies in my FMC discussion thread a while back? AM I NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THAT NOT WHY I'M HERE?!

On a serious note, looking forward to your TR entry, Hunter, but might I add that I'm still waiting on that Bergman Affair sexy times?

Bergman is still on schedule for April - I'm re-reading it and getting back into the flow of that story, and writing this one as a warm up. This one is much shorter, topping out at fifteen chapters, with none of the chapters being that much longer than what we've seen so far.

Samus is still my primary target, and I'm hoping to wrap Bergman up by June. We'll see if I can manage it, but I'm free contract-wise until at least mid-May.

Just found 'Reins of the Tomb Raider', definitely looking forward to more.

Question: regarding your inspiration:

Do you know where to find this? I'm huge fan of Nimrod's stuff, and unfortunately his stuff is all over the place. Also never saw a Lara Croft one. For the Hard Labor one the closest was one written by Marcus.

... and I messed up. Hard Labour was written by Marcus... my bad. Sorry about that.

Finding Nimrod's stuff is always ridiculous; I've got three Catwoman stories, a Batgirl story that is a continuation of his first Catwoman story, and a Vampirella. I know there's a Red Sonja, and I'm pretty sure there's an Emma Frost and Storm story somewhere out there... do you know if he ever wrote anything else?

Next part of Reins should be up today or tonight. The next two chapters deal with her trial and conviction, and serve as more build for everything that comes after. I feel like I should laugh maniacally at that, so consider this that laugh. Bwahahaha.

Regarding "Reins of the Tomb Raider," Giuseki said:

HunterOpera's trademark menace buds in the Tomb Raider setting. The thrill of malice in molding humans from heroines is offered to the reader. Ruination and reconstitution are the delicacies presented, accepted by this reader with delight. Glad to see him return.

"Trademark menace." I like that. A lot. Thank you. I think you'll dig the most recent chapter, which deals with a lot more menace and will lead directly to the ruination and reconstitution that is coming, and once it starts it should become unrelenting. I'm aiming for equal parts dread, suspense, and sadism here, with villains that circumstance makes terrifying. Let me know if the stuff I'm trying actually works; I'm curious to know how this reads.

Glad you're enjoying it so far. More to come.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding "Reins of the Tomb Raider," Anon said:

might work out? you already told us. it will.

Dramatic license. I'm a bit of a ham and was aiming for a sort of same bat time, same bat channel sort of feel. I'm also aiming to keep these chapters short, a task I think I'm failing at. The idea with this story is to do something akin to the old serials that inspired Indiana Jones (and thus Tomb Raider). We'll see if I can fix that on the next chapter, but it's doubtful.

Regarding "Reins of the Tomb Raider," MF said:

Really digging this. Looks like you got the domination/indoctrination out of the way in a jiffy. Looking forward to main plot and how you resolve all this. Cheers!

Thanks, man. I don't think Lara is broken quite yet - as James has noted, she is a hell of a fighter, and as you've noted time and again, she's a survivor. She's not going down this easy, though she's in a hell of a circumstance. Dominated? Yes. Has the indoctrination taken? Well, that remains to be seen.

Hell, it'll be seen in the next chapter, which should go up Monday or Tuesday.

My question is - is this stuff working? Is the implication of culture and psychology getting through? Does Parmistan feel like a real place, with history and laws and context? Does Lara's history work with it, and does James' sinister plotting shine through the vile but still naive Zamir? Does any of this make sense enough to feel real within context to itself?

Boy was this latest chapter one condensed piece of work lol.

I don't know why I do it, but I always have a 3000 word chapter count in my mind, which sometimes leads to overdrawn writing.

By passing over the "mundane" rape segments offhandedly and hitting the fast forward when appropriate, you do in 1600 words the work of multiple chapters. Kudos.

Although, I really would have liked to see in detail the first time the five farm hands escalated from what seemed to be mere petting and oral "marking" to full on mounting, and see Lara's physical/mental reactions to that. Sometimes you are too much of a tease.

Not that I'm asking for real spoilers, but do you have a plan to get Lara out of this predicament?

Boy was this latest chapter one condensed piece of work lol.

I don't know why I do it, but I always have a 3000 word chapter count in my mind, which sometimes leads to overdrawn writing.

By passing over the "mundane" rape segments offhandedly and hitting the fast forward when appropriate, you do in 1600 words the work of multiple chapters. Kudos.

Although, I really would have liked to see in detail the first time the five farm hands escalated from what seemed to be mere petting and oral "marking" to full on mounting, and see Lara's physical/mental reactions to that. Sometimes you are too much of a tease.

Not that I'm asking for real spoilers, but do you have a plan to get Lara out of this predicament?

The condensation is based on the voice of the narrator - instead of the limited omniscient third-person that you and I are normally so fond of, I'm aiming for the first person report of a Parmistani native. It limits the way information is provided, because I like to imagine him writing this out, culling what details he remembers and talking about what stuck out in his mind as things happened. Zamir is a strange guy - a devoted family man and quite religious, but the culture in which he's grown has shaped a certain worldview upon him. He has certain expectations and makes assumptions based on his experiences, and I hope that slightly alien perspective is coming through in the way he voices things. There's a clumsiness to his thinking and word choice, I think, but what I wonder is if any of this stuff is really working?

I was aiming to keep the chapters within the 1500-word range, but Zamir demands that things be phrased a certain way, and that typically adds a few thousand words as he notes details or uses certain phrases. It's interesting filtering the information I want to convey through his mind, and we'll see how that works going forward.

And, well... Lara's not getting out of this. Her bungled escape attempt is going to make things a lot worse for her, and then... better is the wrong word, but more comfortable, eventually. Five chapters remain in this story, so you'll see what I mean soon.

Regarding Regarding "Reins of the Tomb Raider," AryaStarkNaked said

Oh god yes, keep this coming. Her breaking is perfect!

It's coming. Next chapter should be up this week, and I should have this story wrapped by mid-April, at which point I'll turn back to Bergman and Masque. Glad you're enjoying it - does anything stick out as being particularly good or bad?

5 more. chapters? hy? I feel they are they all going to be repeats of chapter 10.Why the drawnout waiting?

I plotted this out before sitting down to write and figured that was how long it was going to take to tell this story. I do promise not to repeat myself; the things that happen are based on a slow destruction of character within the confines of this story, so there's a descent that needs to happen over time.

The stuff that happens in the next chapter, for example, could not happen without the things that happened to Lara in this one. The stuff that happened in this chapter would make no sense without the chapter before it; I know it may look like Lara is at her lowest, but I assure you this is not the case.

Some of what's coming has been directly referenced by MordbidFantasy; again, without Fatman Chronicles, I don't think I ever would have started writing Bergman, never mind Reins.

Does that make sense?

5 more. chapters? hy? I feel they are they all going to be repeats of chapter 10.Why the drawnout waiting?

Obviously James hasn't had his go at Lara yet and their reunion will probably be a dramatic one.

I plotted this out before sitting down to write and figured that was how long it was going to take to tell this story. I do promise not to repeat myself; the things that happen are based on a slow destruction of character within the confines of this story, so there's a descent that needs to happen over time.

The stuff that happens in the next chapter, for example, could not happen without the things that happened to Lara in this one. The stuff that happened in this chapter would make no sense without the chapter before it; I know it may look like Lara is at her lowest, but I assure you this is not the case.

Some of what's coming has been directly referenced by MordbidFantasy; again, without Fatman Chronicles, I don't think I ever would have started writing Bergman, never mind Reins.

Does that make sense?

It's the glorious cycle of inspiration inspiring more inspiration then looping back on itself. My next chapter in FMC will be using that same non-omniscient observer perspective you use in Reins. I used it a little back in the incarceration arc but it works here especially since I'm trying to wrap up the current arc as concisely as possible.

Obviously James hasn't had his go at Lara yet and their reunion will probably be a dramatic one.

It's the glorious cycle of inspiration inspiring more inspiration then looping back on itself. My next chapter in FMC will be using that same non-omniscient observer perspective you use in Reins. I used it a little back in the incarceration arc but it works here especially since I'm trying to wrap up the current arc as concisely as possible.

James and Lara are going to reunite in the next chapter, and I don't think it's going to go the way anyone expects it to. I want to blindside people - not with a shocking swerve, but with something that is both clever and horrible. He'll have his go at her, so to speak, later, but for now... well, logic. Terrible, terrible, logic.

And I look forward to seeing what you've got cooking with FMC. I'm particularly enamored with what you did with the Philosopher's Stone and Joan of Arc. Mythic underlays are pretty core to the Tomb Raider universe, and the idea that this shadowy group has been manipulating things all along is sort of great, and gives Lara an eventual target.

Guest Guest

JIMMY IS A CUNNING COCK SUCKER. But In a way you could say it is just where he would be if she hadn't ran off in search of answers, only she would be FAR less servile to her husband.

I sort of predicted James would spin things his way, but the way you wrote it really upped the mind-fuckery.

It's unfortunate you intend to end this story on a bad note, at least to me, who hoped Lara would have some light at the end of the tunnel. Will still read on though, cheerios.

Edited by MorbidFantasy

I knew it was comming, but I read 11 anyway. Cold; but well written. Too depressing. I'll be reading no further.

Thanks for reading up until now. It was a cold chapter, but a needed part of breaking Lara down and stripping her of everything. The problem is that it lends itself to a way out, one where justice might actually be done. Real justice, not the kind the Parmistani people are selling and James is buying into. It might even see James pay the price for being such a terrible person.

This was meant to be a darkfic, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel and the story seems to be pushing in that direction and I'm kinda curious to see where it takes me.

On that note, if you're looking for a happy(er) ending, check out Hermione Granger and the Bastet Collar. The Bergman Affair is going to end well, with everyone getting exactly what they deserve. But, in terms of depressing? Do not, under any circumstance, read Masque'd Hawk. There's no way that will end well, but I do want to wrap that one up sooner rather than later.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.